KotOR1+KotOR2 ???

Can anybody explain me why all dialogs and other information from dialog.tlk of KotOR1 is within dialog.tlk of the KotOR2 with some modifications?

P.S. if nobody has dialog.tlk in his game, or it has not information from KotOR1, then sorry for disturbance. My version can differ from other versions of the game because of russiafication.

Actually I don't think the dialog text are in there, while most of the non-dialog text will be. The reason for that is we used a certain amount of stuff from the first game and there wasn't a great way to go through the game systematically and only delete the stuff we weren't using. Text is labeled as either dialog, item descriptions, placeable name, door name, etc... Since we knew we weren't using any dialog from the first game we could just kill all of those entries off. For other things we used stuff here and there from the old game, so we couldn't prune the database as easily.

Feargus Urquhart

CEO

Obsidian Entertainment, Inc.

There aren't a lot of non-general K1 leftovers. However, adorably, there are still some NWN leftovers hanging out!

But maybe there is a lot left over in the Russian (?) version, for whatever reason. How big is your dialog.tlk? My K1 dialog.tlk is 5,269k and my K2 dialog.tlk is 9,924k.

I am following my fish.

A temporary home for stranded ML'ers

I didn't see any dialogs from the first KotOR, but I realy found some texts from the movies (for example when Malak tries to turn Bastila to the dark side).

And I don't think that you (Developers) just leave information from KotOR1, because there are a lot of new special things for heroes (for example Bastial can regenerate Force for 30 seconds, but lose life when using the Force, and Jolee can for 6 seconds per level in the radius of 8 meters make Enemies attacking each other or go into stasis etc.).

In Russian version dialog.tlk's volume is the same.

Well.., and for Developers, don't try to find any licensed Russian distributor, you won't find any of them. :devil:"

Actually I don't think the dialog text are in there, while most of the non-dialog text will be.  The reason for that is we used a certain amount of stuff from the first game and there wasn't a great way to go through the game systematically and only delete the stuff we weren't using.

Actually, there is a great way to do this - dependency checking. This is necessary anyway in order to assertain referential integrity, and with minor modifications the same tool can be used to 'pull' all referenced resources from the pool into the build. This is almost exactly the same process as linking an object file againt libs and some loose objs, except that it is a lot simpler.

The only non-trivial aspect is to find an easily maintainable and preferrably automatic way of declaring resources that are referenced from executables, because analyzing machine code is beyond the scope of a simple build/QA tool and executable code can also synthesize references (by concatenating pieces) instead of merely *containing* references as a compiled script or resource file does. This is manageable with suitable coding conventions and it has to be done anyway for integrity checking, because without such an automated process the only things you can do are

* dump everything you have into the build and hope for the best

* manually add files that you think might be needed and hope for the best

* one of the above with a bit of snippage here and there

but in all cases the build is bigger than necessary and there is still no guarantee against things like 'Bad StrRef' etc. There is really no viable alternative to automated dependency checking (or, more generally, integrity checking, since referential integrity isn't the only thing that needs to be checked). And, as I said before, once the dependency check logic is in place it can be used for build purposes just as easily as for testing.

P.S.: thanks for a really good game that in many ways was even excellent. The only reason we're griping now and then is that the game could have been great, with a little more care and a little more time.