where we ever said that fergie not got a right to close the boards on a whim or for any cause he could imagine or concoct?  Is obsidian boards and we fully recognize that they can do as they wish with?em.

nevertheless, if folks is gonna praise him for his diplomacy then we gotta laugh.  threaten termination of the boards for reasons initially given were heavy-handed and disproportionate... akin to gunboat diplomacy.  try not to take literal... lighten up chum.

maybe this makes you feel better? analogized fergie?s threats to that of  a kid with a football... a kid who not liked being picked on so he threatens to takes his ball and goes home if other kids ain?t nicer.  that light 'nuff for you? 

sheesh

HA! Good Fun!

I'd say you are deffinitely off. Think of it with this analogy: Feargy is a business owner of a corp or some such, and lines the entrance with the things people say about his company. Now, he'd be happy if people said constructive things, but when they start spray painting "DON'T BY THIS STUFF IT IS HORRIBLE AND THEY ALL SUCK AND U SUCK TOO", then, maybe, they won't show off peoples opinions anymore.

To suggest that Obsidian should keep open their forums when all it does is make them look bad is nothing short of stupid.

And Feargus never threatened. He said that he would close the boards if he thought it was for the best. He looked around, and guess what? He didn't find it for the best.

'course it was a threat. just 'cause somebody not say, "i am threatening you," does not change it from threat to simple observation.

also, you should read fergie's threats more close. he specific noted that negativity not bother him... it were the way in which the negativity were being posted. "DONKEY BALLS" posts as he so colorfully described 'em. now, if we take as true and accept that negativity weren't really the issue... 'course we all knew that were not really the whole of it, eh? he threatened to close the boards 'cause of the "DONKEY BALLS" posts which accounted for some fraction of a single percentage of total posts on this board...

bah.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

'course it was a threat.  just 'cause somebody not say, "i am threatening you," does not change it from threat to simple observation.

also, you should read fergie's threats more close.  he specific noted that negativity not bother him... it were the way in which the negativity were being posted.  "DONKEY BALLS" posts as he so colorfully described 'em.  now, if we take as true and accept that negativity weren't really the issue... 'course we all knew that were not really the whole of it, eh?  he threatened to close the boards 'cause of the "DONKEY BALLS" posts which accounted for some fraction of a single percentage of total posts on this board...

bah.

HA! Good Fun!

And he didn't close them after looking into it.

I fail to see your point here.

And the needless flames were beginning to overrun the board, not just a single percent. I almost stopped reading, because every time I entered a thread, I was introduced to someone with the typing skills of a three year old doing nothing but insulting other players, the devs, the game, and everything they could find.

p.s.

we not mind the feeble but well-intentioned attempts of posters to defend fergie. we told fergie that such would happen... and that by posting more often he and the other obsidians would get a more loyal and tractable fan base.

keep it up. such responses will hopefully encourage even more frequent obsidian posts.

"And he didn't close them after looking into it."

a threat does not require that the threatening principal follow through with the threat.

"I fail to see your point here. "

yes, Gromnir can see that.

"And the needless flames were beginning to overrun the board, not just a single percent."

the flames were not needless to those posting... and the "DONKEY BALLS" posts that s'possedly inspired and required fergie's threats did not account for even a single %.

we hate replying to each sentence, but you seem kinda all over the place.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Feeble, is it? Ironic, since I thought that term would better suite your posts. Howevever, I won't be baited into ignoring the actual discussion and instead insult your posts.

The simple fact is, these are Obsidians boards. They are a company. They can easily have constructive criticism and discussions going on. They can take baseless praise, because it makes them look good. However, they can't take baseless insults. People would come, and say the game was crap, personally attack the devs, and flame anyone who disagreed with them or others. It was getting out of hand.

Feargus stated that the boards may need to be closed down for this. He didn't say he'd close them down if people didn't stop disagreeing with them. You can still find many threads and post unclosed that disagree with Obsidian and the game they made, but you no longer see people whining without base. That shouldn't be seen on Obsidian's official boards.

Feargus, and probably others, looked into this. They removed the offending items - threads that were little more than flames and arguments without the backing of facts or any valid points - and decided that enough constructive criticism and true discussion was going on.

This is called professionalism, not threats. It is basic intelligence. No one is going to pay for bandwidth and allow it to be overwhelmed with insults and attacks thrown at their company.

But then, I'm feeble minded. I probably shouldn't think of such things.

"Feeble, is it? Ironic, since I thought that term would better suite your thread. "

that ain't really ironic... you and allanis morissette (sp?) should take a class

winning ain't really a goal, but thanks anyway, we seen it linked at the alfa board... wouldn't really use any of those, but we appreciate the thought.

HA! Good Fun!

winning ain't really a goal, but thanks anyway, we seen it linked at the alfa board... wouldn't really use any of those, but we appreciate the thought.

HA! Good Fun!

Case in point: It looks like Somethingawful forgot...

5) Pretend the argument never existed: If desperately losing an argument on grounds both of factual evidence and popular opinion, assert that the argument was never an argument to begin with, or that winning it was not the objective.

ARGUMENT: Feeble, is it? Ironic, since I thought that term would better suite your posts. Howevever, I won't be baited into ignoring the actual discussion and instead insult your posts.

INCORRECT RESPONSE: Okay, look, we're not getting anywhere with this. Let's just leave it at that.

CORRECT RESPONSE: winning ain't really a goal, but thanks anyway, we seen it linked at the alfa board... wouldn't really use any of those, but we appreciate the thought.

HA! Good Fun!

WOW! I'm not sure if derailed or alternate reality has occurred in this thread, but I think it is fair to say we have moved on! Rather than have the current discussion degenerate, I think I would request that questions of board moderation/style be taken to PM as per the guidelines. It is evident that everyone cares about the community here at Obsidian and I would not want anyone to take that concern and move beyond civility. Regardless of interpretation, the board is still here and I hope that ALL will take this as an opportunity with which to move forward and post in a respectful and constructive manner.

Respectfully,

Fionavar

The universe is change;
your life is what our thoughts make it
- Marcus Aurelius (161)

:dragon: