Okay tell me this. How does a game thats damn near unplayable, has about 1000000000000000000000000000000 bugs, and is incomplete, and spits out MONO music win a RPG game of the year award?....Who hands this stuff out?

Because your personal experience of the game isnt actually universal.

As much as I feel for people who get stuck with buggy software (personally I return anything with a gamestopper) to consider that as representative would be very wrong.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

Okay tell me this. How does a game thats damn near unplayable, has about 1000000000000000000000000000000 bugs, and is incomplete, and spits out MONO music win a RPG game of the year award?....Who hands this stuff out?

Well the bugs weren't so many, or that bad (at least for me)

I didn't really noticed that music was mono, I liked the soundtrack though.

And since it is an RPG it is mainly judged for its story and this story was pure gold.

And by the light of the moon

He prays for their beauty not doom

@Drakron

Um no, there are quite a few companies which are way richer than LucasArts :(

For me, there was hardly any difference in playability between the two KOTORs. The music was of the same quality as in the first one, there weren't more bugs and TSL didn't freeze more often then KOTOR, so it's down to story and some other content.

It's not like KOTOR didn't have the same problems...

The story was great in both KOTORs, although TSL had some interesting parts cut, it was still a thrilling story. I'd say KOTOR had the better music but TSL the better game-play, which isn't surprising as TSL was build on KOTOR's gameplay.

In the end it's all about how the game compares to other games released in the same year and Fable was the only other big RPG-game, so it's not like the competition was strong.

Aaaagghh! Heresy! Stone him! ;)

Hmm. That was only half-joking... You're another of these individuals who didn't understand it, aren't you? ;)

:o

Ahem.

It seems that many people didn't pay attention to the dialogue of TSL.

And afterwards they complain about not understading the game. :o"

@Drakron

Um no, there are quite a few companies which are way richer than LucasArts :o

Driv3r reviews are a example of the current problems with the so called "professional reviews".

Game magazines get most of their revenue out of advertisement, if LucasArts pull off all ads they had with KotOR II and Mercenaries it would hurt then.

So yes, LucasArts did pay for the awards and reviews ... even if the check is about "advertisement".

drakron.png

@Drakron

Um no, there are quite a few companies which are way richer than LucasArts :o

Driv3r reviews are a example of the current problems with the so called "professional reviews".

Game magazines get most of their revenue out of advertisement, if LucasArts pull off all ads they had with KotOR II and Mercenaries it would hurt then.

So yes, LucasArts did pay for the awards and reviews ... even if the check is about "advertisement".

In that way everyone is paying the Game magazines, since almost every game company is advertised in them.

Come on! Most games come out a little buggie... even a lot buggie! *cough*KotORI*cough, cough* (Just how many patches did the first one need to be playable?!)

Sith Lords is a great RPG... everything you do or say has a consequence... many of them un-forseen. This makes the replay value on this thing huge!

Yes, it could've been even more wonderful with all the cut content. (There seems to be a rainbow of MORE choices in there!!) But it was still the best RPG out there right now.

I think it's only natural, and not wholly undeserved.

Look at it this way:

- the story, characters, dialogue and atmosphere are excellent - after Peragus and before the ending, the game glues you to your seat

- there are technical bugs, but if you have the latest drivers for everything (and an NVIDIA card (I have an ATI, by the way)), they mostly aren't showstoppers - and most reviews mention bugs, by the way

- dialogue loops and "game logic" bugs, too, are mentioned in the reviews, though they aren't enough to ruin the enjoyment of the game

- and, finally, most reviewers DON'T play games to the end - at least before reviewing them. Some later reviews HAVE mentioned the "put together in a day" ending, and gave lower scores because of that.

It's still one of the best RPGs in recent times, IMO. So much that I'd actually pay for an "expansion pack" that included JUST the "real" ending, the droid planet and the resolution of several minor plots - even though all that should be included in my original purchase.

I have found no extreme bugs... Just a temporary freeze for no reason.

I can see how it got awards... but Kotor I still is the best game I've played in a loooooong time.

Geekified Star Wars Geek

Heart of the Force, Arm of the Force

"Only a Sith deals in absolutes!"

-Obi-wan to Anakin (NOT advocating Grey-Jedidom)

"The Force doesn't control people, Kreia controls people."

Its not hard to see how it got awards really. Its a good game overall, even with the bugs. You can't spend your whole life focusing on the bad things when the good overwhelm them. Yes, you do have to take it into consideration but you also have to think abou the fact that its a long and difficult process to make a game and an even longer one to make one with almost no bugs. Obsidian is new and (at least for this project) was under control but LA. They are to new and don't exactly have a high enough reputaion to have simply told LA "No, we arent going to release it untill we have these bugs fixed". They needed to get out the game then because of LA (So I've read anyway). I really wish people would stop critizing Obsidian so much without seening things from their eyes :)

*sigh*

Thats what sucks about people theses days, everything is "I come first". I don't mean to get you angry but just to see things from thier eyes. I know that the majority of the people here arn't like that but COME ON PEOPLE! I would like to see some of these b****ing people here try and make a game any where near as good as these people have.

Why does Britney Spears sell millions of CD's?

Not that KotOR II = shallow commercial crap, but everyone's got a diffirent taste about everything.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Actually LucasArts doesn't pay them eventhough I know it wasn't meant to be a completely serious statement. There are a few awards in the industry that can only be entered if you pay a fee, like the AIAS awards. KotOR2 didn't win any of those awards, because LucasArts did not pay to enter KotOR2 into them.

As for paying with advertisements, the cost of advertising in game magazines has pretty much tripled in the past five or six years, so the magazines are not finding it hard to get publishers to put ads in their magazines. This would mean that LucasArts probably can't really put much pressure on the print magazines with their ad buys. As for on-line, I don't have as much information about how hard or easy it has been for the on-line sites.

I do know most of the people who are the editor in chiefs of the major sites and they all have a lot of integrity.

If there is a reason, other than the enjoyment the mags got from playing the game, it is because there were not that many RPGs released last year on the PC or the console. So the field of choices was pretty small. That isn't saying that I'm not proud of the game that we made, but I try to be a realist as much as I can.

Feargus Urquhart

CEO

Obsidian Entertainment, Inc.

Actually LucasArts doesn't pay them eventhough I know it wasn't meant to be a completely serious statement.  There are a few awards in the industry that can only be entered if you pay a fee, like the AIAS awards.  KotOR2 didn't win any of those awards, because LucasArts did not pay to enter KotOR2 into them.

As for paying with advertisements, the cost of advertising in game magazines has pretty much tripled in the past five or six years, so the magazines are not finding it hard to get publishers to put ads in their magazines.  This would mean that LucasArts probably can't really put much pressure on the print magazines with their ad buys.  As for on-line, I don't have as much information about how hard or easy it has been for the on-line sites.

I do know most of the people who are the editor in chiefs of the major sites and they all have a lot of integrity.

If there is a reason, other than the enjoyment the mags got from playing the game, it is because there were not that many RPGs released last year on the PC or the console.  So the field of choices was pretty small.  That isn't saying that I'm not proud of the game that we made, but I try to be a realist as much as I can.

You're working in the wrong business Feargus, diplomacy is your field :thumbsup:

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Because the Xbox one is very playable and, mostly all the awards are more or less based on the Xbox version cause it was released in 2k4.