Continuity kills KOTOR

If the game took place 100 years later we would still be able to get some direct closure of story of Revan.

Just bring back Master Vandar! The little guys can live for hundreds of years! Yoda was 900.

He just disappeared from the story so he could easily be brought back 100 years later.

If you did the DS ending he can just say he got to an escape pod. (Escape pods play a big role in SW)

Then we can ask him some Atton questions and all will be well. :ph34r:

Or better yet an evil Vandar :)

"Yes, die you will now."

Hello.

I don't understand this agonising over the presence of multiple variations of Revan and the Exile. I mean... it's not as if men and women, light-siders and dark-siders always choose different options; one chooses red, then the other chooses blue. Ultimately the gender and alignment of Revan and the Exile are parts of their character, not their characters being parts of Masculinity or the Dark Side.

Technical issues provide a stronger position for dropping the Revan line...

You can't show Revan in the game, have him or her say something and you must record dialogue and write a plot that is suitable for 4 different combinations of gender and alignment.

'S not that hard. If Bio managed to have flashbacks of an ambiguous Revan that allowed for male and female versions, then KOTOR3 can have a similarly ambiguous Revan in a robe, hood and mask. It would be quite appropriate, really, if KOTOR3 continues along lines of moral, narrative ambiguity.

Assuming you show him at all, of course. The need for a walking, talking Revan can be disappeared quite easily. "Oh no, Revan's dead!" Or, failing that, has ascended to some kind of magical Force-spirit or whatever.

Ditto the Exile, although he'd need a costume change to match Revan's new MYSTARY summer look.

Regardless, if presented with a situation where doing something in a direct, unsubtle manner results in plot development chaos, then instead of getting into a tizz or chucking the idea altogether, find another way of doing it. If Revan and the Exile are ambiguous, then don't fight it - use it! Face and gender unknown? Robe and mask. Voiceless? No dialogue. Undecided morality? Use motivations that aren't restricted to one particular side of the Force.

My latest whacky way of starting KOTOR III...

Yes, very whacky. Nergh.

It was just a thought I had.

He can live as long as **** Clark and he knew Revan, probably the exile too.

His fate is unknown and since he is not tangled up in all that player choice and continuity stuff he could give some sense of closure.

You could find him in the unknown regions and could tell you stuff.

"Yes, buried beneath my hut Revan is." :wub:

:snickers:

It was just a thought I had.

He can live as long as **** Clark and he knew Revan, probably the exile too.

His fate is unknown and since he is not tangled up in all that player choice and continuity stuff he could give some sense of closure.

You could find him in the unknown regions and could tell you stuff.

"Yes, buried beneath my hut Revan is." :wub:

:snickers:

Actually he died on Katar :lol:

I may still use him in my story though since it dosnt have to be ok'd by LA.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

See what I mean, you are a blathering imbecile.

Your statement is still totally weak, since you only give your opinion without adding any argument whatsoever. "Durrh, me think Kotor II real good. Good balancing. Story good. Kotor 2 good. Duuurrh." That might pass for professional criticism in your trailer park, but certainly finds less resonance in areas where the genepool is denser populated. If you consider the whole "Revan in search of the Uber-Sith" plot interesting, then by all means, draw a little picture of it and show it to your wife and sister - perhaps she would like to see it. But please spare us non-simians your inconsequential drivel. 

Tell you what, why don't just fetch your keeper to read this thread out loud to you and then come back and write further posts, after you've figured out what this topic is really about. You should also check out the term 'argument' before you return. I could provide you with a link to an on-line dictionary, but the thing is I really dislike you and would rather keep you down in the mud, now that I think about it...

I think you've leveled up as a whiner since you last whined

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

I don't see what the big deal is.

For most purposes, KoToR 2 was a stand alone as KoToR 1. Just, when talking to Atton when you first meet, say 'I don't care about what happened to Revan.'

What happens is that the 'default backstory' is inserted, where Revan was a LSM. You find this out through the course of the game much like you were finding out about the backstory in KoToR 1. And there you have it.

Also, I don't think anyone should put too much stock on Revan making any more than a large cameo in the 3rd installment. On the 'Default Backstory,' Carth voiced concerns to the Exile that Revan might have failed in whatever he was trying to do, wherever he was going.

And as far as we know, the Exile might fail too. Leaving both characters wide open to be 'plot guides.' Ooo, maybe one of them will sell things!

But seriously, what's the big deal? I think Obsidian demonstraited an artful solution to the continuity 'problem.'

Just, when talking to Atton when you first meet, say 'I don't care about what happened to Revan.'

And that does what? Give me an unresolved plot with a Revan of a default gender instead? I don't care what the gender is, I care about the unresolved plot. And the only way that can be fixed is to resolve it, which in turn can only be done by including Revan in a sequel to KotOR2.

On the 'Default Backstory,' Carth voiced concerns to the Exile that Revan might have failed in whatever he was trying to do, wherever he was going.

Yeah, that's just great. "Revan ran away to some place you'll never see and died in some way you'll never know of without doing anything you'll ever hear about". I wonder if it's actually possible to write a worse ending to that story.

I think Obsidian demonstraited an artful solution to the continuity 'problem.'

No, they didn't. They caused a much bigger problem by doing something completely unnecessary like getting Revan involved in a new story. In fact, I can't readily think of a way they could've caused any more problems. They managed to paint themselves into a corner, and no matter what they do now, some people are going to be upset. That's a solution along the lines of cutting off your arm because your finger hurts.

No, they didn't. They caused a much bigger problem by doing something completely unnecessary like getting Revan involved in a new story. In fact, I can't readily think of a way they could've caused any more problems. They managed to paint themselves into a corner, and no matter what they do now, some people are going to be upset. That's a solution along the lines of cutting off your arm because your finger hurts.

People would have been upset had KOTOR II made no mention of Revan anyay. What they did was dodge the question for a while. But in adding the same sort of ending for the Exile doubled the problem when it comes to a final resolution.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

Oh, I'm sure they would. But they could've mentioned Revan without getting him/her involved in a new plot. He moved with Bastila to a house with a white fence on a planet somewhere, had 2.3 children and lived happily ever after. Or she went nuts, married a horse and went to live in a tree on a mountain somewhere. There, the story is still resolved (though I'd naturally expect the writers to come up with some better than the stuff I just made up in about 10 seconds).

Can you say "Flame War?" Sheesh, people, realize that the game is probably being conceptizized as we speak, and that the potential devs have many implementation ideas.

In OFFICIAL canon, Revan and Exile are LS Males, but who cares? Noone else in Star Wars history has EVER mentioned a Darth Revan or Darth Exile, or their various filanderous exploits with the characters in the game, so ANYTHING could be acceptable. We just have to trust the Devs to realize that flexibility is what made the series in the first place.

Funny thing is, Kotor I was announced just as I wished there was a game where you could be an ancient Jedi fighting against the Sith... coincidence or what?

My $ 5.10 cents (after the standard shipping and handling fee, plus an accumulated inflation of the value of 2 cents).

Geekified Star Wars Geek

Heart of the Force, Arm of the Force

"Only a Sith deals in absolutes!"

-Obi-wan to Anakin (NOT advocating Grey-Jedidom)

"The Force doesn't control people, Kreia controls people."

Oh, I'm sure they would. But they could've mentioned Revan without getting him/her involved in a new plot. He moved with Bastila to a house with a white fence on a planet somewhere, had 2.3 children and lived happily ever after. Or she went nuts, married a horse and went to live in a tree on a mountain somewhere. There, the story is still resolved (though I'd naturally expect the writers to come up with some better than the stuff I just made up in about 10 seconds).

Wow, that is almost as deep as my version of Hanharr's future. What I'm wondering is what happened to the other .7 of a kid... I can see it now:

"Bastila honey pie, Alfred just tried to use the Star Forge again!"

"Again! What have I told you about letting the children tamper with the arcaic forces of the Dark Side?"

"Don't worry, we got a nice runner-up prize: An all expense payed trip on a new cruiser to visit your cousin with the Horse in the mountains!"

Geekified Star Wars Geek

Can you say "Flame War?"

Yes, though I don't see why it matters. There's two people flaming here in like 4 posts as far as I can see. I would hardly call that a war.

As for the rest of the post, if anything of that was directed at me, you've obviously missed my point by light-years.

Wow, that is almost as deep as my version of Hanharr's future. What I'm wondering is what happened to the other .7 of a kid... I can see it now:

"Bastila honey pie, Alfred just tried to use the Star Forge again!"

"Again! What have I told you about letting the children tamper with the arcaic forces of the Dark Side?"

"Don't worry, we got a nice runner-up prize: An all expense payed trip on a new cruiser to visit your cousin with the Horse in the mountains!"

:p:lol::lol::lol:

You guys really make me smile. Alfred...hehehe

Can you say "Flame War?"

If nothing I would say that we all have been very respectful of the other peoples opinons on this matter and have all taken a great deal of time to think out our side of the arguement in order to convince the other person to see the topic in a new light.

"The only difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits!" - Albert Einstein.

"It's better to be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt!"

"You can try to kill me, you'd fail!, but you can try!" - Revan.

"When you have exhausted all other possibilities whatever remains, however improbable must be the truth." - Sherlock Holmes (a.k.a. Sir Arthur Conan Dole)

"A lack of planning on your part, does not constitute an emergency on my part"

AscendedPaladin.png

Was that serious? :shifty:

I was trying to stop the problem before it started, I guess. I'm lost now... what issue were we 'discussing' before now???

DOES ANYBODY LIKE MY IDEA (It's on like the first page)??????????????

Geekified Star Wars Geek

Honestly it started as a bit of a joke. But yes it does have a lot of really neat advantages. And as the observant have spotted, its very much an EP IV from a different sort of angle approach. And I think parallels are nice. Though I draw the line at coming across the sub boss and them say I am your father.

The idea  that a child of Revan and the Exile would combine the traits of both was the central theme (that because DBZ fusion was probably out of the question).

Plus it gives you a very strong protagonist, while at the same time linking KOTOR I&II together without having to have a multiple choice questionaire for Reven and theExile. You played the parents, now play the child type of thing.

But that would have to be the end of it. KOTOR IV would need to move on to something different.

regaurdless of whether it was a joke or not it was still a great idea, and it does solve the problem of what happened to revan and the exile. The fact that it does draw such a direct parallel to the movies (well the good ones at least) is one of the main reasons why I like this idea so much. As others have said the idea of having a questionaire at the begining of the game would just suck, it would only serve to furthur detatch the player from the dream world that is the Starwars universe.

Hello.

I don't understand this agonising over the presence of multiple variations of Revan and the Exile. I mean... it's not as if men and women, light-siders and dark-siders always choose different options; one chooses red, then the other chooses blue. Ultimately the gender and alignment of Revan and the Exile are parts of their character, not their characters being parts of Masculinity or the Dark Side.

Technical issues provide a stronger position for dropping the Revan line...

You can't show Revan in the game, have him or her say something and you must record dialogue and write a plot that is suitable for 4 different combinations of gender and alignment.

'S not that hard. If Bio managed to have flashbacks of an ambiguous Revan that allowed for male and female versions, then KOTOR3 can have a similarly ambiguous Revan in a robe, hood and mask. It would be quite appropriate, really, if KOTOR3 continues along lines of moral, narrative ambiguity.

Assuming you show him at all, of course. The need for a walking, talking Revan can be disappeared quite easily. "Oh no, Revan's dead!" Or, failing that, has ascended to some kind of magical Force-spirit or whatever.

Ditto the Exile, although he'd need a costume change to match Revan's new MYSTARY summer look.

Regardless, if presented with a situation where doing something in a direct, unsubtle manner results in plot development chaos, then instead of getting into a tizz or chucking the idea altogether, find another way of doing it. If Revan and the Exile are ambiguous, then don't fight it - use it! Face and gender unknown? Robe and mask. Voiceless? No dialogue. Undecided morality? Use motivations that aren't restricted to one particular side of the Force.

My latest whacky way of starting KOTOR III...

Yes, very whacky. Nergh.

umm...so in other words your in favour of killing both Revan and the Exile off then?

"The only difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits!" - Albert Einstein.

"It's better to be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt!"

"When you have exhausted all other possibilities whatever remains, however improbable must be the truth." - Sherlock Holmes (a.k.a. Sir Arthur Conan Dole)

AscendedPaladin.png

Was that serious?  :o

I was trying to stop the problem before it started, I guess. I'm lost now... what issue were we 'discussing' before now???

DOES ANYBODY LIKE MY IDEA (It's on like the first page)??????????????

umm... which idea was that? :shifty:

AscendedPaladin.png

The one involving... never mind... *sigh*

well you had three on the first page I was just wondering which one you were refering to.

AscendedPaladin.png

Perhaps they'll skip ahead a decade or so, and you're sent out to find what happened to them (the Orders have been rebuilt, so you can choose who to work for in the long run). Then, you find they're bodies, and those of their companions, and perhaps you're left to detonate some form of explosive that will finish their work.

Change around several things in there, and you could have a respectable and workable story. I especially like the idea of being able to choose who to work for: Jedi or Sith.

You could be a freshly-knighted Jedi, and you're journeying when the Sith contact you. You could accept the call of the Dark Side, or report it to the Jedi. Either way, you would end up with the same task... Yes I see definite possibilities... Of course, they can't use it now, because I said it out loud... :shifty:

Play around with it, and we could have a very cool game coming.

That is why a menu or some such would work. The Mira idea is faulty, because of the fact that Mira did not necessarily become a Jedi, or a Dark Jedi.

The Newly Knighted idea works, because you don't have to worry about continuity. If Exile was LS, then Handmaiden would be a historian, Visas would probably be a Master, and Mira 'dies saving one she cares about.' Bao Dur would be a Guardian, and Atton would be searching for Force Sensitives.

For DS Exile, the Order would be in tatters, but one or more Jedi could have survived, and rebuilt. You would be one of the first knights in the rebuilt Order.

Basically your choices for Revan/Exile would affect who the leaders of the Order are, and what they say.

Just pointing it out.

We'll start with these ideas... I have a more fleshed out version somewhere... Play round with it, and it'd be kinda cool...

*Gets in a little flame proof bubble, and crosses fingers* :ph34r:

Geekified Star Wars Geek

Perhaps they'll skip ahead a decade or so, and you're sent out to find what happened to them (the Orders have been rebuilt, so you can choose who to work for in the long run). Then, you find they're bodies, and those of their companions, and perhaps you're left to detonate some form of explosive that will finish their work.

Change around several things in there, and you could have a respectable and workable story. I especially like the idea of being able to choose who to work for: Jedi or Sith.

You could be a freshly-knighted Jedi, and you're journeying when the Sith contact you. You could accept the call of the Dark Side, or report it to the Jedi. Either way, you would end up with the same task... Yes I see definite possibilities... Of course, they can't use it now, because I said it out loud... :p

Play around with it, and we could have a very cool game coming.

That is why a menu or some such would work. The Mira idea is faulty, because of the fact that Mira did not necessarily become a Jedi, or a Dark Jedi.

The Newly Knighted idea works, because you don't have to worry about continuity. If Exile was LS, then Handmaiden would be a historian, Visas would probably be a Master, and Mira 'dies saving one she cares about.' Bao Dur would be a Guardian, and Atton would be searching for Force Sensitives.

For DS Exile, the Order would be in tatters, but one or more Jedi could have survived, and rebuilt. You would be one of the first knights in the rebuilt Order.

Basically your choices for Revan/Exile would affect who the leaders of the Order are, and what they say.

Just pointing it out.

Both are very good ideas, Both put a type of closure to the story of revan and the exile and both have a fresh new spin to the KOTOR series, namely the actual ability to JOIN!!!!! the sith and not just be a sith wanabe like in the past two games

AscendedPaladin.png

That's one 'fan'... Any other comments? Come on, challenge me with some form of lack of continuity, I need a challenge! :p

Geekified Star Wars Geek

That's one 'fan'... Any other comments? Come on, challenge me with some form of lack of continuity, I need a challenge! :p

I really can't because they both are along the ideas of what I want in the next game, and since I am one of the ones who would like the story of the exile and revan to end with TSL (atleast for them being seen or heard anyway) I don't see any problem with either idea as long as we actually get to join the sith in the next game.

AscendedPaladin.png