Continuity kills KOTOR

Four years before the return of the Exile, Revan left known space to look for the 'True Sith' threat. This is true whether Revan is LS/DS or M/F. As this is a point at which the four possible storylines converge, it would be a good place to start Kotor III. Revan would have to start strongly light or dark, for continuity. But if the game takes place in 'unknown space', there's no reason to refer to past history except at very occasional and easily-controlled points, such as coming across a character from a previous game. You would only need to make sure that every situation has a LS and DS path, which has always been the case with Kotor anyway.

This is manageable. The question is, whether any writer who values her sanity would wish to go this route, rather than the significantly easier option of fixing Revan as LS male. I don't think you can just dispense with the character yet, after so much was made of Revan's fate in Kotor 2. But I don't want the writers of Kotor 3 to stress so much about continuity that they neglect other aspects of the game.

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

Four years before the return of the Exile, Revan left known space to look for the 'True Sith' threat.  This is true whether Revan is LS/DS or M/F

But if you do not want to make TSL irrelevant, then you would have to give the Exile a major role as well. And then the number of possible (and meaningful)combinations would be quite mind-blowing for the creators. (Or so I suppose)

The question is, whether any writer who values her sanity would wish to go this route, rather than the significantly easier option of fixing Revan as LS male.

This "insane" way of writing games is (proto-)Obsidian's speciality, and I enjoy it. You are right of course, they could make great Star Wars RPGs the easy way. But -especially after lurking on this board for two weeks- I know three things:

a) there is a large crowd of fanatical Darth-disciples (which is of no surprise to me whatsoever :thumbsup: ) b) there are many female players (which did surprise me, to be honest) c) (Not excluding players of group b :thumbsup: ) people seem to be interested in going beyond the stereotypes of classic CRPGs.

Continuing the tradition of standardized male LS characters might therefore be unprogressive

I don't think you can just dispense with the character yet, after so much was made of Revan's fate in Kotor 2.  But I don't want the writers of Kotor 3 to stress so much about continuity that they neglect other aspects of the game.

But then again: the exploration of the Outer Rim (and I imagine it to be somewhat like the black monolith in 2001 Space Odyssey) might be better left to the evolving Jedi-"supermen". Us common mortals will either be unable to grasp the next level of sentience or disappointed by other common mortals' attempts to put such a strange transcendent world into a game :p

But then again: the exploration of the Outer Rim (and I imagine it to be somewhat like the black monolith in 2001 Space Odyssey) might be better left to the evolving Jedi-"supermen". Us common mortals might be either unable to grasp the next level of sentience or be disappointed by other common mortal's attempts to put such a strange world into a game  :thumbsup:

Revans going to come back with green eyes and a huge mane of spiky blond hair..

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

I am not sure if I understand what you mean by it being no longer possible to set the game 100+ years after TSL, I mean sure for those who are looking for the perfect ending to TSL it would suck as it would look like LA (I say LA because we don't know for sure that OE is doing KOTOR III which means that if they aren't then more than likely we see much of revan or the exile since they are other peoples characters and no one likes to work with someone elses character when it comes to a role playing game) )has given up on the exile and Revan. But the thing is that how could you possibly tell the story any further than it already has without making it into a muddled mess?

I said that is no more possible because after TSL the 2 chapters are forming a single story, to make the 3rd chapter not directly related to the heroes of the first 2 game will be like to cut the end of a book....

Thinks for example to LOTR whitout the final book, it will ruin all the story.

TSL itself have a suspended and unresolved ending that can't simply be addressed by some flashbacks, also note that Obsidian had the possibility to make a closed end but they (or LA) chose to not resolve the story.

If you continue then you will have to bring back revan which isn't OEs character to begin with thus meaning that they would more than likely have to decide for us what revan was (either LS or DS and either Male or Female) which would piss off a lot of people (more than if he wasn't in the game to begin with)

Even in TSL we had to chose Revan's sex and light or dark side, more important even if Revan is not directly inside the game, there are a lot of info about who he was, why he acted and so on...

In the other post i also said that IMO a DS Revan is no more possible, during most of the game we have characters that tell us that Revan have done what he had to do, he is also presented as the heart of the force, so probably something outside any code and Kreia at some point states directly that he never felt.

In TSL i think Revan got a "reset", the one we played in KOTOR1 is not the Revan we know, he got his memory back and in both LS or DS he came back to the person he was.

For what i see Revan is no more the BioWare creature, is something new and something we don't know too much.

and then if OE doesn't do KOTOR III then we have a new developer working with not one but two character that other people have created meaning that it would just make the game that much worse since now we wouldn't have any control over what either character looked like or what their alignment was or what their actions where during their respective games.

I really hope that Obsidian will do KOTORIII, also i had the impression that they (and LA) alredy had some ideas about the next story, if another company will do the game i think they will start from the general lines alredy tought.

Also i agree that the third chapter will be really difficult and complex to develop, not for the story itself, i really don't see anything difficult about that, but for the game mechanic.

It would just be easier to start fresh and tell their stories either via flashbacks or via conversations in the game. As to your coment about the story being non linear that kinda ruins the whole point of an RPG doesn't it?

My comment was about the starting role of the Exile and Revan, not about the development of the story (in the last chapter) itself.

Note that as said i was not against to have very different stories for all chapters...

for example

KOTOR1: Revan story that end saving/conquering the galaxy

KOTOR2: the story of the exile (replicable in a different timeframe and whitout any Revan implications)

KOTOR3: the story of another jedi knight with his own closed plot.

but as at this point the chapters are bounded to built a bigger plot i don't think is no more possible.

Continuing the tradition of standardized male LS characters might therefore be unprogressive

So make it a DS female then. I'd prefer a LS male for various reasons (that it's a stereotype is not one of them) but I really don't give a damn one way or the other. I'd rather have a good story than satisfy a bunch of misplaced cries for equality or whatever is the agenda for the day, and I believe the best and easiest way to do it is to simply tell people who and what Revan was and let them deal with it. The funny thing is, I don't think this would've been an issue if Obisidan had just done that in the first place. I think it was a mistake, and a big one, that they didn't, which was then amplified by the whole plot they built up around Revan, making him/her an important character for the next story.

Seriously, aren't there better things to spend your time on that complaining about inequality in a game? (You know, such as inequality that actually matters.)

The funny thing is, I don't think this would've been an issue if Obisidan had just done that in the first place. I think it was a mistake, and a big one, that they didn't, which was then amplified by the whole plot they built up around Revan, making him/her an important character for the next story.

Seriously, aren't there better things to spend your time on that complaining about inequality in a game? (You know, such as inequality that actually matters.)

Do I sound like a hardcore suffragette to you? Have you even read any of the previous posts or were you just skimming through the last few lines? In any case, I think you are missing the point of my argument. What was "progressive" about Kotor (compared to "Infernal temple of sinister Evil" or whatever) was that it gave you a (limited) choice of who to be and what to do. That is the essential quality of Kotor. It is a multi-path game, and (to repeat myself) you can't write direct sequels to multi-path games without either making the ending of the previous one irrelevant (Kotor 2), coming up with an extremely stupid or outlandish plot (something along the lines of Highlander 2 for example) or going to the extreme length of writing several games and sell them as one (LA's favourite pastime).

It is not about equality to desire the continuation of the structure (as opposed to 'plot') of KOTOR: it is about the genre! So you prefer a set beginning, a set character and a set ending. That's fine with me. There are good games built on that simple principle. But KOTOR is not one of them. To make KOTOR 2, 3, 4+ such a game would be like selling a Mario-type 2D jump&run as 'Doom 4'.

Apart from that, your argument is inconsistent, anyway. If you don't mind tossing Revan, you do not have a problem, since the new game would give you a new character and a new story. If you do care about Revan's further adventures and want the next KOTOR to be a sequel, then you should also care about what has happened so far - and that depends on how you played the previous games. Demanding continuity while at the same time giving a sh*t about it strikes me as paradoxical, at best. :thumbsup:"

Oh, the post wasn't really directed at you. Especially not the part you quoted. It was more of a general complaint directed at no one in particular. I don't know what your motivation is, nor does it really matter.

As for my inconsistency, I can assure you that's not the case. I like Revan and I want his/her story to be resolved. It was, more or less, after KotOR. Either you live happily ever after or you rule the galaxy. That's fine, and if KotOR2 had told me that KotOR1 ended with a female Revan ruling the galaxy, I'd accept it without blinking. The thing is, KotOR2 didn't do that. It sent Revan out into some generic place, not only giving Revan a completely new story to deal with, but also negated any closure you had from the first game. That's the problem, really. I want either Revan's story to be over with, or I want to deal with it. I don't want some subtle hints here and there that doesn't really mean anything, I want a happily ever after/rule the galaxy ending for Revan. Allowing people to customize Revan would've been fine if they hadn't gotten him/her involved in another plot, but they did. I strongly suspect this will never be resolved as long as Revan is customizable as there will be a whole bunch of options you have to take into consideration (even more so if people expect to be able to customize the exile as well), at least not in a satisfactory manner (i.e. you will never hear or see Revan in the game, except possibly as a corpse face down with a hood).

However, whether this story is resolved as a DS/LS male/female Revan or not I don't care about. Sure, I think LS male when I hear Revan, but that's just me. The important thing is that it *is* resolved and the Revan character can finally rest. Whatever combo is best for the story, just pick that one (regardless of how many want a female hero just because it'd be a female hero or whatever) and write an ending for Revan that actually won't leave me thinking "what the hell?".

Bottom line; if you don't want Revan involved in the game, then for the love of God, don't involve Revan. Had they just left Revan out of it, everyone could think Revan was whatever gender they wanted and everything would be just dandy. But that's not possible anymore, and I think it'd be the lesser of two evils to stamp a gender/alignment on Revan and just resolve that plot once and for all. I'd certainly be happier with a Revan of a different alignment/gender than what I imagined that actually played a role in history than a customizable Revan that really didn't do squat and then just vanished afterwards.

I know a lot of people here don't like this example, but Morrowind does this the best in my opinion.

At the start of that game YOU... The player... Decides who and what your backstory is going to be more or less and the rest of the game just takes that as FACT and none of the actual story itself or the sidequests are effected unless you specifically choose a class/profession where your skills would be more effective (thief comes to mind).

LOL, you should go play the game instead of believing nonsense that you read on the net somewhere. In Morrowind you pick name, race/nationality, sign, skills etc. pp. like in other action CRPGs, and that's it. Your background/story is fixed. The way they do character generation is nice and immersive the first time you play, although it is actually rather cumbersome and glitchy.

Also, Morrowind does not have classes, just several preconfigured skill/attribute sets that are labelled as 'classes' for some unfathomable reason. The closest thing Morrowind has to classes are the races.

Oh, the post wasn't really directed at you. Especially not the part you quoted. It was more of a general complaint directed at no one in particular. I don't know what your motivation are, nor does it really matter.

I see your point and apologize for the rather aggressive tone of my note.

It's just that you quoted my post, so I took it that you had either grossly misunderstood my intent or hadn't paid any attention to my arguments and wanted to attack me nevertheless.

Although I basically agree with you, I believe our main concerns are different.

You are trying to find a way to wrap up the the existing storyline, which lacks a satisfying ending. To do that, you would rather sacrifice a little choice than give up the whole plot, if I understand you correctly.

I am thinking about KOTOR and multi-path-typed games in general, the necessities that come with their structure and possible patterns for KOTOR 4+. To that end, I would rather sacrifice a flawed plot than change the way KOTOR works. To be honest, I have given up on the existing "big picture" and don't expect a satisfactory conclusion. If it were up to me, I would just forget about it, let Revan and Exile explore the mysterious "beyond" on their own and start a new storyline.

By the way, I assumed you were talking about a set male LS player character. Now it occurs to me that you might have been talking about Revan as a pre-defined male LS NPC, in which case the sacrifice of freedom of choice wouldn't be so drastic. If I misunderstood you here, too, I apologize again, and concede that it is I who should have paid closer attention to your arguments >_<

I thought about it some more and I think that should the series continue then you need to put this revan/exile thing to bed once and for all and then move on in KOTOR IV.

While I can see the benifit of ignoring the whole thing I still feel that people will expect to see some closure. Especially in view of what was said in the interviews about giving KOTOR II a more ESB feel of something lurking in the shadows.

The only realistic way , unless you want to be waiting for KOTOR III 2 years from now is for some sort of official identity for both characters.

Otherwise you are going to end up with either a total mishmash of a story, or a story that is much shorter because of the need to allow for every eventuality.

There is another option. Which would be to release a cinematic CD (quite popular with Japanese games) which would fill in the Reven/Exile story as the background for the new game. This way you get your closure (plus a cool movie, Xn2's is hours long) and you dont have to worry about either of them being in KOTOR III because KOTOR III would be the events following whatever it was they tried to do.

My latest whacky way of starting KOTOR III...

Revan and the Exile meet on in the unknown regions. Both reliase that alone they cannot hope to deafeat the leader of the true sith. Even together they would not be able to stand against them.

So being practical types they have a child :D (sort of popped into my head while I was typing put the revan/exile thing to bed)..

Unfortunately as they are constantly hounded by Sith fleeing from planet to planet eventually they have no choice but to leave the child behind in the care of a crotchety old guy (guess who).

Finally cornered they give it all they have and go out in blaze of glory. Meanwhile raised in obscurity on a backwater planet and taught the ways of the force though not the ideoligies, you grow up.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

You are trying to find a way to wrap up the the existing storyline, which lacks a satisfying ending. To do that, you would rather sacrifice a little choice than give up the whole plot, if I understand you correctly.

Er, sort of. I'll be repeating myself here, but it's better than more confusion.

I want each game to have a satisfying ending (and by satisfying, I don't mean the classic happily ever after that I said. Personally, I prefer the bitter-sweet endings). KotOR1 had one of those. The story was over and you were could just imagine what happened next if you wanted to (i.e. Revan and Bastila had a son named Pete, just for the heck of it). In KotOR2, you were basically told that Revan went and did something else and gave him or her a new plot. That negates the ending from KotOR, making me want a new ending for it (i.e. for Revan). I don't think a satisfying ending to Revan's story is possible as long as you're able to customize Revan. There's gender, alignment, face and voice to take into account. Combined, that basically means that you'll never get to see or hear Revan, as well as ensuring that it would take some very creative writing to make all gender/alignment combinations work (if it's even possible to do that without making Revan insignificant, which in turn would ruin the point of having him/her in the game in the first place).

That's why I think it'd be better to, in retrospect, just tell people that Revan was a LS male (my preference for various reasons, but it's just an example) and write a story based on that. So yes, I'd rather have the sequel tell me that the way I played the first game was not the "correct" way. It's either that or write a story not involving Revan at all. Well, and of course writing a story that does involve Revan but doesn't really go anywhere (the KotOR2 way, which does more harm than good in my opinion). It was thoughtful of Obisidan to let people choose Revan's nature, I just don't think it was worth the extra trouble and unresolved plot that was (unnecessarily) introduced.

If it were up to me, I would just forget about it, let Revan and Exile explore the mysterious "beyond" on their own and start a new storyline.

I have no problem with a completely new storyline, but only as long as the current one is completed first. If Obsidian does not intend to complete Revan's story, then they shouldn't have sent him/her out to "explore the myserious beyond". That's the part that bothers me. I can forget a resolved story, not a still ongoing one.

By the way, I assumed you were talking about a set male LS player character. Now it occurs to me that you might have been talking about Revan as a pre-defined male LS NPC, in which case the sacrifice of freedom of choice wouldn't be so drastic.

No, not at all. I have absolutely no problem with players being able to choose gender and alignment for their characters, I just feel that the choice shouldn't be a limiting factor in the sequel (which is the case now, which could've been avoided by simply not making Revan an important character in *another* story).

Edit: And now I realize that I might've misunderstood that last quote.

If I did, this would be the correct reply: No, I don't expect to see Revan as the PC, or even a NPC in the party. All I want is a resolved story, in whatever way the designer decides to do it. That said, I wouldn't really mind seeing Revan as the PC or a member of the party, but it's not exactly my primary concern.

I have no problem with a completely new storyline, but only as long as the current one is completed first. If Obsidian does not intend to complete Revan's story, then they shouldn't have sent him/her out to "explore the myserious beyond". That's the part that bothers me. I can forget a resolved story, not a still ongoing one.

Not really much you can do in view of the KOTOR endings.

LS - Scene from EP IV where everyone gets a medal.

DS- Take over the Galaxy.

In both cases KOTOR II allowed the outcome, but not the consequence of it.

Short of actually killing Revan off in some obscure batte, or having them in the game really not much else you could do besides what they did.

If you killed them off people would be annoyed because they still (wrongly) see Revan as thier character.

Put them in the game, then you have to make a choice or write and record 5 or 6 times more dialogue to cover the options (not realistic in 12 months).

(actually I just thought of one but it would depend on where the story was going to go, it may or may not have worked).

478327[/snapback]

just curious have anyone look at this like triology. almost ep. 3-6. i can ee the similiary in kotor. there to many for me to point out. but i will point out the glaring one to me. in new hope establisdh luke as the hero. in the empire strikes back. he goes off and trains under yoda. in rotj he returns to fight his father and emperor. granted all three movies had the characters but still i see the similiary in it.

Continuity isn't a real issue, they should just do whatever and let whiners whine because that whats they do best

Well, thanks for that rare gem of insight, kid.

They should do 'whatever'... a valuable suggestion indeed.

It is apparent that you really put your mind to the issue here, which I find absolutely super, given the fact that I had been thinking about asking for your opinion anyway. :o)

You know what I especially liked about your post? That it was so incredibly rich, content-wise. So "continuity isn't a real issue"? If only I knew which of the stunning arguments you offered to reinforce your thesis convinced me the most... hmmm, I just can't decide. That's probably because they are all so very, very brilliant.

I really hope that we can count on your continued counsel in the future, and wish you luck with your coherent speech courses. You are making remarkable progress, by the way, and are a credit to your behaviour therapist :huh:

See what I mean you're a terrific whiner.

What I meant by my statement, which I guess it was somewhat difficult for you to infer was that in Kotor II they did a good job of balancing continuity with their own story writing, and that some people are just going to cry foul no matter what, case in point.

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

I would really prefer the KOTOR games to have no ongoing continuity at all, to be honest. By trying to link them all, you are very restricted in offering a wide variety of possible endings (or have to disqualify many of them afterwards).

Why not stage the games in intervals of a hundred years each?

The original developers were clever enough to set the first KOTOR way before the movies. There is enough place for lots and lots of stories, and if you let time pass, the start of each new game will be credible, even if its setting is completely different from any possible ending of the previous one. There could be a total victory for the Dark Side at the end of game X, but in the long run it wouldn't matter, since a hundred years later (after a few untold adventures), anything goes again. So game X+1 could start in a world where the Jedi are in control, despite game X's ending and without any loss of credibilty (!). The wheel keeps turning.

Agreed....in KOTOR3, Carth will have been killed by a very darkside Bastila on the Star Forge out of sexual jealously. (w00t) :D

Oh you mean COMPLETELY seperate them from each other........ doh! :o

See what I mean you're a terrific whiner.

What I meant by my statement, which I guess it was somewhat difficult for you to infer was that in Kotor II they did a good job of balancing continuity with their own story writing, and that some people are just going to cry foul no matter what, case in point.

See what I mean, you are a blathering imbecile.

Your statement is still totally weak, since you only give your opinion without adding any argument whatsoever. "Durrh, me think Kotor II real good. Good balancing. Story good. Kotor 2 good. Duuurrh." That might pass for professional criticism in your trailer park, but certainly finds less resonance in areas where the genepool is denser populated. If you consider the whole "Revan in search of the Uber-Sith" plot interesting, then by all means, draw a little picture of it and show it to your wife and sister - perhaps she would like to see it. But please spare us non-simians your inconsequential drivel.

Tell you what, why don't just fetch your keeper to read this thread out loud to you and then come back and write further posts, after you've figured out what this topic is really about. You should also check out the term 'argument' before you return. I could provide you with a link to an on-line dictionary, but the thing is I really dislike you and would rather keep you down in the mud, now that I think about it...

FF I & II were in no way related.

FF has always been a franchise not a sequel. The only FF sequel has been FFX-2 because they couldnt tell the whole story in one game.

Locking yourself into the same characters (FF dosnt even use the same world) is a sure way to a short term franchise. The reason that FF can grow is because sqenix dont tie themselves down to a specific character to continue the franchise.

FFX X-2 was set in Spira, the new one is set in Ivalice (the place from FFTA).

:"> oops my misstake, I forgot which ones were the sequels and just guessed.

I said that is no more possible because after TSL the 2 chapters are forming a single story, to make the 3rd chapter not directly related to the heroes of the first 2 game will be like to cut the end of a book....

Thinks for example to LOTR whitout the final book, it will ruin all the story.

TSL itself have a suspended and unresolved ending that can't simply be addressed by some flashbacks, also note that Obsidian had the possibility to make a closed end but they (or LA) chose to not resolve the story.

Ok but why do they have to play a direct role? They could be mentioned in the game as part of the established history thus giving the "much needed" closure. Really we don't need to play them as characters all we need is to hear what happened.

Even in TSL we had to chose Revan's sex and light or dark side, more important even if Revan is not directly inside the game, there are a lot of info about who he was, why he acted and so on...

Even though it doesn't sound like it would be a lot of work, (I imagine) it would be a great deal of work to implement that for two characters not too mention having to write the extra lines and coding to include the ramafacations(sp?) of their actions in the past games.

In TSL i think Revan got a "reset", the one we played in KOTOR1 is not the Revan we know, he got his memory back and in both LS or DS he came back to the person he was.

For what i see Revan is no more the BioWare creature, is something new and something we don't know too much.

No matter how OE might have changed Revan he is still Bio's character he is how they wanted him and even his back story would/should reflect that. Since we already know most of revans past (from KOTOR and TSL) there isn't much to be learned other than the past five years which wouldn't take a lot of time to explain in a small video of converstaion. Same goes for the Exile, we already know a lot of his back story from TSL and there isn't much else to explain.

I really hope that Obsidian will do KOTORIII, also i had the impression that they (and LA) alredy had some ideas about the next story, if another company will do the game i think they will start from the general lines alredy tought.

Bio also had ideas about what TSL should be but when OE took over the rains they tossed out any and all other ideas and went with their own new ideas in order to make the game theirs and not someone elses (yes LA gave them some directives but for the most part they were aloud to develope the game as they saw fit)

My comment was about the starting role of the Exile and Revan, not about the development of the story (in the last chapter) itself.

Note that as said i was not against to have very different stories for all chapters...

for example

KOTOR1: Revan story that end saving/conquering the galaxy

KOTOR2: the story of the exile (replicable in a different timeframe and whitout any Revan implications)

KOTOR3: the story of another jedi knight with his own closed plot.

but as at this point the chapters are bounded to built a bigger plot i don't think is no more possible.

But you can have a continuity(sp?) sequel without having a direct sequel or in other words have the game deal with the events of the past two game without actually having it take place at the sametime as the other two. So it would be possible to set the game 10, 50, 100 or 1000 years after the events of TSL and still have it feeling the effects from the past two games. Just an example but say have revan and exile fail and the true sith come to the known worlds and start killing off everything and the new Jedi must try to stop them with the aid of the newly reformed jedi order maybe rally other jedi to the cause [kinda like revan did against the manadalorians].

There is another option. Which would be to release a cinematic CD (quite popular with Japanese games) which would fill in the Reven/Exile story as the background for the new game. This way you get your closure (plus a cool movie, Xn2's is hours long) and you dont have to worry about either of them being in KOTOR III because KOTOR III would be the events following whatever it was they tried to do.

I like this idea either include it in the begining of the game (making it skipable like the tutorial was in TSL).

My latest whacky way of starting KOTOR III...

Revan and the Exile meet on in the unknown regions. Both reliase that alone they cannot hope to deafeat the leader of the true sith. Even together they would not be able to stand against them.

So being practical types they have a child :D (sort of popped into my head while I was typing put the revan/exile thing to bed)..

Unfortunately as they are constantly hounded by Sith fleeing from planet to planet eventually they have no choice but to leave the child behind in the care of a crotchety old guy (guess who).

Finally cornered they give it all they have and go out in blaze of glory. Meanwhile raised in obscurity on a backwater planet and taught the ways of the force though not the ideoligies, you grow up.

Must say I LOVE this idea!!! :) IMO it would truely give this series a true Starwars feel! This would be a great way to get a new character and not really have to deal with either the exile or revan but also add the closure that a lot of fans are screaming about. Not to mention that a child born of Revan and the Exile should be VERY in touch with the force maybe even stronger than either of its parents (plus we would get joelee back!!! (w00t) ).

"The only difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits!" - Albert Einstein.

"It's better to be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt!"

"You can try to kill me, you'd fail!, but you can try!" - Revan.

"When you have exhausted all other possibilities whatever remains, however improbable must be the truth." - Sherlock Holmes (a.k.a. Sir Arthur Conan Dole)

"A lack of planning on your part, does not constitute an emergency on my part"

AscendedPaladin.png

Must say I LOVE this idea!!!  :ermm:  IMO it would truely give this series a true Starwars feel! This would be a great way to get a new character and not really have to deal with either the exile or revan but also add the closure that a lot of fans are screaming about. Not to mention that a child born of Revan and the Exile should be VERY in touch with the force maybe even stronger than either of its parents (plus we would get joelee back!!!  (w00t) ).

Honestly it started as a bit of a joke. But yes it does have a lot of really neat advantages. And as the observant have spotted, its very much an EP IV from a different sort of angle approach. And I think parallels are nice. Though I draw the line at coming across the sub boss and them say I am your father.

The idea that a child of Revan and the Exile would combine the traits of both was the central theme (that because DBZ fusion was probably out of the question).

Plus it gives you a very strong protagonist, while at the same time linking KOTOR I&II together without having to have a multiple choice questionaire for Reven and theExile. You played the parents, now play the child type of thing.

But that would have to be the end of it. KOTOR IV would need to move on to something different.

478327[/snapback]

They don't have kids, Bastila already had Revan's and hid him with the Republic on Coruscant... :)

Revan and Exile could and should always be variables, it's not that tricky to change a parellel here, edit a statement there, based on Gender.

Does anybody like my idea??? I feel so forgotten...

Geekified Star Wars Geek

Heart of the Force, Arm of the Force

"Only a Sith deals in absolutes!"

-Obi-wan to Anakin (NOT advocating Grey-Jedidom)

"The Force doesn't control people, Kreia controls people."

Revan and Exile could and should always be variables, it's not that tricky to change a parellel here, edit a statement there, based on Gender.

No, it's not. But if you're looking to writing a satisfying ending to the story Revan was given in TSL, I challenge you to do that with a fully customizable Revan. You can't show Revan in the game, have him or her say something and you must record dialogue and write a plot that is suitable for 4 different combinations of gender and alignment. All that, and still make Revan play an actual role in the game. Revan was, relatively speaking, barely mentioned at all in TSL and I felt the writing to get around the custom Revan was rather strained more than once (mostly due to alignment). Imagine doing that for a character that's not just a short cameo without writing 2-4 completely different games.

And that doesn't even take the exile into account. Personally, I feel the exile could be more or less ignored (in fact, I think (s)he should've died in TSL just so this "wound in the force" could've been resolved. Seems to me like the problem is just as big as it was when TSL started). However, I think I'm in a minority there, so I wouldn't be surprised if people want the a customizable exile to show up as well. Now you try writing a game based on 16 possible stories and tell me how it goes.