Carth and Revan are the heart and Soul of KOTOR.

Personally, from a strick dramatic sense, I think Revan fits the LS male better, simply for the redemption of Bastila on the star forge. Which IMO is a lot stronger than the whole carth-revan thing. Also, Bastila may be annoying and bitchy, but she

Personally, from a strick dramatic sense, I think Revan fits the LS male better, simply for the redemption of Bastila on the star forge.  Which IMO is a lot stronger than the whole carth-revan thing.  Also, Bastila may be annoying and bitchy, but she

Everyone's going to think that they way they played should be the definitive storyline. Well, tough cookies, everyone. No amount of discussion over it is going to change anyone's view or make it true.

Maybe so, but if an official gender for Revan/exile was chosen you'd have to live with it.

The Chronicles on Lucasarts' site always refer to Revan as he/him/his - which seems to indicate their preference.

I think it's safe to assume that if Revan became Star Wars canon he'd be a LS male.

It was already problematic in Kotor2 with all the combinations. Kotor3 would be a nightmare to write with both Revan and Exile potentially male/female, DS/LS, etc.

Well, from all the posts here, If I were developing KOTORIII, I would let the player choose Revan again, but set the Exile as something. I think it matters less what the Exile was, since there weren't any romances to speak of, and it didn't matter which way you went. The life/death of your companions at the end didn't depend on the Exile's gender or alignment.

I've only ever played Male/LS Revan but once the "big suprise" was over I understood that the character was no longer mine anyway.

So ultimately I really couldnt care what happens to him/her. I've also played the four different possible versions of the Exile, so again not really bothered if they choose one and go with it.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

Of course, it's theirs to do with what they will, but I will always see Revan and the Exile as female. LOL

I just couldn't get into the Bastila romance, and she can be redeemed either way - I have girlfriends who are so intregal to my life I would do anything for them - so even saving Bastila as a female can give me chills. I was terrified of "losing" her.

Carth is older than Revan, but I don't think that matters all that much in times like that and a situation like that - they've both lived through horrible times and you tend to come through that with a sense of what is important - and years may not be it.

The Exile I could more easily see as a male, but again found more interesting as a female (perhaps because there are so few video games with female characters who don't need rescuing by a big male hero - or even a child male hero).

The Chronicles on Lucasarts' site always refer to Revan as he/him/his - which seems to indicate their preference.

I think it's safe to assume that if Revan became Star Wars canon he'd be a LS male.

Not true. As someone who spends their life writing essays and articles, whenever referring to character whose sex is not specified or does not matter "masculine" pronouns: "he" and "him" are always used. This does, however, does NOT indicate that the character is male; it is simply a standard writing convention.

I think that, since nobody ever hears of a Darth Revan or "Darth Exile" anywhere after, they could be any/all/both/switching between the two :x .

In the third game, you could still have a choice. If they play it right, it won't change much except the pronouns and Bastila/Carth statements. I've never programmed a large scale game, but I think that this would be doable with something on the borders of a simple if() statement, or a switch statement...

They both fit, move on! :thumbsup:

Edit: I was thinking of starting a Bastila and Handmaiden/Visas "Lovers Club"... if I can generate enough interest here. Any takers? :geek:

Geekified Star Wars Geek

Heart of the Force, Arm of the Force

"Only a Sith deals in absolutes!"

-Obi-wan to Anakin (NOT advocating Grey-Jedidom)

"The Force doesn't control people, Kreia controls people."

One way of handling things in KOTOR3 might be allowing the player to create two characters (Revan and the Exile) at the beginning and have them control them both through the story at varying times.

You wouldn't get as much time as any one character, but it would solve the continuity issues and actually allow for some pretty interesting story/quest lines. The reason I loved Nar Shadda in KOTOR was that the multiple characters each playing their own parts in unison really made it feel cinematic and, for once, made the NPCs stars in their own right as opposed to side characters. I think it added a lot to the game.

Feel free to steal this sig.

Not true. As someone who spends their life writing essays and articles, whenever referring to character whose sex is not specified or does not matter "masculine" pronouns: "he" and "him" are always used.

Like they were always used in Kotor? Hardly. It would have been quite easy to do what the game did; always refer to Revan as Revan and never use a specific gender.

This does, however, does NOT indicate that the character is male; it is simply a standard writing convention.

Perhaps, but someone reading the Chronicles for the first time would not be thinking in such terms. They would see Revan as male. And the point was not how the character is written, but that Lucasarts would choose male if they were forced to use an official gender. The Chronicles reinforce that fact. When people have to make excuses like "writing convention" to deny LA's preference it is indeed rather silly.

I'm not even going to bother repeating what I just said in the other discussion about continuity, so I'll give the basic direction:

They both work, it's not that hard to implement the two/four, and don't start Flame Wars.

Well, now the bill is up to $10.20... Happy now? :p

Geekified Star Wars Geek

Heart of the Force, Arm of the Force

"Only a Sith deals in absolutes!"

-Obi-wan to Anakin (NOT advocating Grey-Jedidom)

"The Force doesn't control people, Kreia controls people."

When people have to make excuses like "writing convention" to deny LA's preference it is indeed rather silly.

I was just making a point; there's no need to be rude about it. Besides, anyone who goes to the Chronicles page has most likely played kotor and is well aware that the choice of Revan's sex was left open to the player. I don't see how LucasArts would be forced to choose a sex for Revan anyway.

If they were, however, forced to choose a sex, they would probably go with male - but this would be due to the fact that kotor is marketed to males. This does not say anything about LucasArt's own personal preference. I doubt they would have any; it would be based solely on who their larger audience is. Besides, female heroes aren't really popular with male audiences well, unless they're wearing close to nothing like Bloodrayne. :ph34r:

I heard that Carth Mix that a member made and it made me realize that the story between Carth and Revan is a major draw that made a huge impact in the success of the story as well as the game itself.  YAY CARTH.  Btw ATTON is cool too.

Hehehe, glad you liked it. :D

To be a devil's advocate, though, if I made a mix of almost any character, I could probably make it seem like they were heavily important... but I do agree with you that (whether people like Carth or not) he's an important part of the story... at least for people playing off the LS Revan storyline, and people who made Revan LS for the game seem pleased overall with the Carth bonuses scattered throughout it.

This game seems to be hinting that the developers favored the LS female story above the other options (with Atton suggesting that Revan was female before you tell him yes/no, how the DS explanation of Revan leaving doesn't work quite as well, and the more fleshed out emotions of the romance), and hopefully whoever makes the 3rd game will build on that and add some closure to it as well.

Eji -- love yer Carth and Atton! They look damn cool. :lol: