Revan's fate in KotOR 3 (or later)

How do you want Revan to finish off his/her role in the KotOR story (in K3 or otherwise) ? Read topic header first before voting  

154 members have voted

1. 1. How do you want Revan to finish off his/her role in the KotOR story (in K3 or otherwise) ? Read topic header first before voting

• Unknown. (ala KotOR II)
    • Tells your character to tell Bastila/Carth he won't return
    • Returns to Republic space, back to Bastila/Carth?
    • Dies/Died, either by sacrafice, or by fighting
    • Dies by player's hand
    • Other (Post)

I dissagree, they can't just have a completley new game. and if they do it really shouldn't be called KOTOR because KOTOR IS Revan

Ok I am going to ask why? Why is it that KOTOR means Revan only? does this mean that you thought TSL is was horrible because it didn't focus on revan? (not meaning this as a flame or anything just trying to better understand where your comming from thats all)

I liked both the Exile and Revan, but Revan more so than the Exile.  The point is that there is only one person I trust to create an ending I am satisfied with, and that is me.  After all, this is an RPG.  I should get to choose how my players ended up.

Hell, I'd be happy if it was 100 years in the future and I got a little snippet about Revan from an "Atton" device, who says something like, "If I recall correctly, in those years after the Jedi Civil War, Revan disappeared only never to return...." To which you could correct him and say, "Well, that's not what happened.  He came back from the Unknown Regions and was reunited with the Jedi Bastila Shan." Or "She returned from the Unknown Regions and was reunited with Admiral Onasi.

See now I like this Idea because it would give a type of closure to the privious story lines.

"The only difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits!" - Albert Einstein.

"It's better to be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt!"

"You can try to kill me, you'd fail!, but you can try!" - Revan.

"When you have exhausted all other possibilities whatever remains, however improbable must be the truth." - Sherlock Holmes (a.k.a. Sir Arthur Conan Dole)

"A lack of planning on your part, does not constitute an emergency on my part"

AscendedPaladin.png

I would think it would make the most sense to have Revan die in the Outer Rim defeating one of the true Sith. When you find his or her corpse, it is decayed beyond recognition (so it fits both male and female). Gives proper closure to Revan and sets up the new characters journey as finishing the one that Revan was unable to. Like Ben passing the torch to Luke.

As for the Exile, I have no idea. He could become a Sith Lord in the Outer Rim or something. No idea.

TSL was a filler game, good in its own right but not quite as good as the first. the third one will be the best. TSL still focused on revan. How he had defeated The Mandalorians, and the jedi in 2 different wars. and the after math of that. also how the whole game your still trying to find out exactly what happened to him. if the third game only has some ****ty thing like revan died. end, new story. that would be bunk. it wouldn't give closure to anything. people have now played two games focusing on Revans story and if they end it by starting a new story, not letting "Us" the gamers finnish the story ourselves, it...it just be a cop out.

TSL was a filler game, good in its own right but not quite as good as the first. the third one will be the best. TSL still focused on revan. How he had defeated The Mandalorians, and the jedi in 2 different wars. and the after math of that. also how the whole game your still trying to find out exactly what happened to him. if the third game only has some ****ty thing like revan died. end, new story. that would be bunk. it wouldn't give closure to anything. people have now played two games focusing on Revans story and if they end it by starting a new story, not letting "Us" the gamers finnish the story ourselves, it...it just be a cop out.

OK I understand what your saying but the thing is that if OE or Bio doesn't get the rights to develope KOTOR III then its highly unlikely that we will have a game (atleast one thats any good anyway) that deals with revan directly (if at all other than just a passing note) since no one likes dealing with other peoples characters. This is part of the reason why (atleast as far as I can guess) OE decided to not continue revans story into the unknown region and also why they only had few returning party NPCs. Its far more likely that we will get another new PC with the game and a little info on what happened to Revan and the Exile but the chances of the new PC meeting either of them or either of them being in the new PCs party is highly unlikely. I for one would like a new story that revolves around a new problem with a new PC and new NPCs, mainly because it would give the gamer and the developer more freedom when it comes to what the story is and how it unfolds during the coruse of the game. If we had a direct continuation we would more or less be stuck with a very linear plot and character development (saying we had a new PC ) or a linear plot with little to no character development (think of mandalore) should we use either of the past PCs as the PC for the new game. And that woudl ruin the whole game for me, since part of the fun of the game is finding out more about the PC and the interactions with NPCs as the game progresses not too mention the freedom to solve the game in the order I choose not in the order the developer chooses because it is the only way to advance the plot so it makes sense.

"The only difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits!" - Albert Einstein.

"It's better to be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt!"

"When you have exhausted all other possibilities whatever remains, however improbable must be the truth." - Sherlock Holmes (a.k.a. Sir Arthur Conan Dole)

AscendedPaladin.png

alright but if they do that then don't call it KOTOR and don't have it anywhere near kotor. It is possible that they can have a story about revan and/or the exil, without it being totally linear. if you think of all 3 games as being one bigger game. And just like everything else, things are going to happen that is out of your hands (like revan into the unknown regions) I would also like ot see obsidian get to make KOTOR 3, they did a hell'uv'a job with kotor for the time they had to do it in. Amazing!

Picked other, id love to either have some closure on the outer rims either as a exspansion or a campaign fighting the Sith out there, think when both characters goes there its pretty much a good setting for getting some closure there, if or not you play Revan again or your Kotor 2 character in a exspansion with possible Revan as npc party character or such.

Dont mind the idea about Revan returning aslong as it is as his new person and not as Revan since Revan in history is indicated to be believed to be dead, but ofcause that doesnt mean he cant exist as his new identity just prefer he doesnt go by the name Revan.

But i for one is curious to find out more about the hidden Sith in the outer rim that supposed to be so ever more powerful :):-"

alright but if they do that then don't call it KOTOR and don't have it anywhere near kotor. It is possible that they can have a story about revan and/or the exil, without it being totally linear. if you think of all 3 games as being one bigger game. And just like everything else, things are going to happen that is out of your hands (like revan into the unknown regions) I would also like ot see obsidian get to make KOTOR 3, they did a hell'uv'a job with kotor for the time they had to do it in. Amazing!

If OE gets the chance to do K3 then I think they will do a great job with it but I hope if they decide to involve revan that they get someone from Bio to help with his development (not saying OE couldn't do a great job with him, its just its not their character and might be harder for them to design him so he keeps with the way bio did without their involvement). I would like to see their take on what the real sith are (mainly because I know nothing about EU). I guess I just fear that if either OE or Bio doesn't get the contract for K3 that whoever does decide to make it will royally screw up the entire series with their take on another developers ideas should they continue from where TSL left off.

AscendedPaladin.png

Listen, that guy was right. KOTOR is Revan. Even in a game that he made a single, spiritual, 15 second appearance in, Revan was the main focus of events.

Granted, the Exile represents a force at the opposite end of the spectrum from Revan: he/she was able to turn away from the force, and is surviving such a thing, tore a hole in his/hers soul. A hole that could very well represent the death of the force. And what kind of war is going to be fought against the True Sith? Not a war of matter or flesh, but a war of belief and the force itself. What better way to destroy an enemy like that than with the power to kill the force itself.

Not to contradict myself, but the Exile is an important part of the KOTOR universe, otherwise the character would not have been created, and I refuse to beleive in any way that then next developer will move on from both these characters and give them an unjust end. It would not be right. I'd personally bomb their homes.

I'm joking please don't have me arrested.

Now back to the topic at hand, with the props to the importance of the Exile given, KOTOR is a epic about Revan, perhaps one of the most attachable characters in video game history. The Exile journies to FIND Revan. All throughout the story of the game, references are made to Revan tremendous struggles, what he learned of the force, what he accomplished in his fall to the darkest depths of the galaxy, and how his redemption changed the galaxy...or hers...or perhaps not? No matter what your choices in part I or II of KOTOR, lack of technology will not be accepted by the true Star Wars fans for a reason as to why a just and suitable ending will not be brought to our beloved characters, saviors or tyrants. Revan left the galaxy he had forged in his palm to face an evil greater than anything anyone had ever thought possible. It became the Exile's destiny to follow him. In my heart I know Revan still fights that war, and the Exile will join him. With these two Jedi Masters, and their mastery of the Jedi Bond, imagine the power of a bond between them...It sends shivers up my geeky, curved spine.

KOTOR is a story of Revan, the original character of the game, and KOTOR II became in essence the bridge between that and a hopefull closing third game. The Exile has also proved to be of great importance to Revan's cause. To the galaxy's cause. He is himself a weapon that may be able to stop the forces of the True Sith. Or dominate them. Either way it will be done through the leadership of Revan, for he is the mightiest force in galaxy. His power, his leadership, his will. None can be denied.

Personally, my dream is that Revan and the Exile will join forces. If any should die it should be through the power of the death of the force, through the Exile, but in a perfect world, the two powers would unite, bond, and fight off the threat they were born to face. To me, anything less would not be Star Wars. And the fans have gone through enough dissapointment in the last few years to rightfully have to suffer through any more dissapointments. It's time we got our heros. Or our villians. And it's time we they were presented to us, fully and beatifully, like in KOTOR I. The Devs should recognize, if nothing else, there is a limit to how far you can push people around...Until eventually they learn their lesson, and are gone for good.

Your right KOTOR was about Revan, and TSL was about The Exile, and now KOTOR 3 can be about a new PC with a new cause.

I have a couple questions for anyone who wants Revan and the Exile back for KOTOR 3. Saying neither OE nor Bio gets the contract to develope K3 (unlikely but still possible) what do you think the chances of another developer doing either of these great characters any real justice? What do you think are the chances that any other developer even working with either of these characters?

AscendedPaladin.png

Prety good because the characters backgrounds already developed. and everythings already layed out for whomever picks it up. it would simply involve writing the conlcusion to the story. Creating another story would just be boogus.

I think certifying Revan's fate is the most important thing for KotOR 3. We all might want his story concluded differently but in the end we all want a good ending. Although I would prefer him to return, maybe changed but nevertheless a happy couple, I would be satisfied by an implication or in-person or by datapad story (kinda like about the Jedi Great Hunt trio and two of them fell in love). Finding him dead would also be a closing but I would rather avoid that one ... obviously, considering what I just said above. :)

sigpic0yb.jpg

Pure Pazaak - The Stand-alone Multiplayer Pazaak Game (link to Obsidian board thread)

Pure Pazaak website (big thank you to fingolfin)

Prety good because the characters backgrounds already developed. and everythings already layed out for whomever picks it up. it would simply involve writing the conlcusion to the story. Creating another story would just be boogus.

But then we are back to a very linear story with little or not character growth meaning a very boring RPG! great for an action game or FPS but not for a RPG. Only the people who designed these characters can ever do them the justice they deserve. So I am guessing that from the way it sounds that your not going to buy K3 should they decide not to go with exile or Revan? Also they could easily answer all the questions about the ending of the past two games by using a simple video at the begining of the game.

AscendedPaladin.png

I have no idea how I would prefer Revan's ultimate fate to end up being when the conflict of Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic III is all said and done: alive or dead. However, I do feel that Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic III should -- without a doubt -- continue the telling of Revan's (and the Exile's) story. The game will be a major disappointment for me otherwise, really. These first two games simply have been incredible in telling one continuous story with so many awesome and consistent themes and ideas, that it would be truly disappointing for the next game to flash forward a century and deal with something unrelated or only really indirectly related.

My preference for a premise for Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic III would be for the main player character to be a brand-new character, but not just an "unknown nobody" or what have you. I would still like for the third main player character to have a "dark past" of his/her own -- despite his/her current personality being dictated entirely by the player -- or at least something that would make me feel like I'm not just playing a random Force Sensitive farmer from Dantooine who decided to pick up a lightsaber and sail out into the Outer Rim. I want the third main player character to have a set backstory of his/her own and perhaps even an interesting "secret" about him/her, just like Revan and the Exile. Anyway, with this brand-new third main player character, I would again like to resume the story of Revan's mysterious actions and whereabouts after either saving the Galactic Republic from the clutches of Darth Malak or claiming rule over the Sith -- once again -- by defeating Darth Malak, as well as the story of either the Exile's choice to follow Revan -- once more -- into the Outer Rim to confront the "True" Sith Empire or the Exile's choice to assume the dark throne of the Trayus Academy on Malachor V.

The only problem (albeit a major one, I confess) would be how to handle the stories, physical appearance, classes, etc., of Revan and the Exile in the next game, if they were to return directly. The best way I can think of is to implement another portrait system that would allow the player to determine the characters' physical appearance. They could take the selectable portraits directly from Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic for Revan's physical appearance and the selectable portraits directly from Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords for the Exile's physical appearance or something...

I have no idea how I would prefer Revan's ultimate fate to end up being when the conflict of Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic III is all said and done: alive or dead. However, I do feel that Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic III should -- without a doubt -- continue the telling of Revan's (and the Exile's) story. The game will be a major disappointment for me otherwise, really. These first two games simply have been incredible in telling one continuous story with so many awesome and consistent themes and ideas, that it would be truly disappointing for the next game to flash forward a century and deal with something unrelated or only really indirectly related.

My preference for a premise for Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic III would be for the main player character to be a brand-new character, but not just an "unknown nobody" or what have you. I would still like for the third main player character to have a "dark past" of his/her own -- despite his/her current personality being dictated entirely by the player -- or at least something that would make me feel like I'm not just playing a random Force Sensitive farmer from Dantooine who decided to pick up a lightsaber and sail out into the Outer Rim. I want the third main player character to have a set backstory of his/her own and perhaps even an interesting "secret" about him/her, just like Revan and the Exile. Anyway, with this brand-new third main player character, I would again like to resume the story of Revan's mysterious actions and whereabouts after either saving the Galactic Republic from the clutches of Darth Malak or claiming rule over the Sith -- once again -- by defeating Darth Malak, as well as the story of either the Exile's choice to follow Revan -- once more -- into the Outer Rim to confront the "True" Sith Empire or the Exile's choice to assume the dark throne of the Trayus Academy on Malachor V.

The only problem (albeit a major one, I confess) would be how to handle the stories, physical appearance, classes, etc., of Revan and the Exile in the next game, if they were to return directly. The best way I can think of is to implement another portrait system that would allow the player to determine the characters' physical appearance. They could take the selectable portraits directly from Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic for Revan's physical appearance and the selectable portraits directly from Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords for the Exile's physical appearance or something...

I agree that it should continue telling revans/exils story. and I probably wont buy the third kotor if it isn't about revan or the Exile. unless of course its called something else other than KOTOR. and it may seem like a tough job and it sure as hell will be to create a sotry with those two characters in it, but Im sure they can do it. and again, its not so much of a linear rpg if you think of it as one huge game that you have been playin none stop. they could have something to set up the major events that had happened be it LS or DS kinda like how they set up who Revan was in TSL. I could see the class' as being a problem, but they could just take down Revans and the exils class level to like 12 or 15 or soemthing and let you choose some force poweres right off the hop when creating your character. some people would complain that when they ended their exile or revan were livel gabilijilion, but Im sure everyone would be happy just to be able to continue playing as Revan.....and or the exile....but I like revan more. :D Again its just my point of view that if they don't continue to tell revans story in kotor it shouldn't be called Kotor. and it would be just as easy for them to start a completely new title and conclude revans story the way your (Stargate: 2000) saying.

I know this might sound a little harsh, but I could care less what happens to the Exile. I really couldn't. Primarily because I have no attachment to the character whatsoever.

So, whomever develops K3 can have the Exile mopping up floors in some upscale apartment building in the remains of Upper Taris for all I care. That pretty much goes for most of the NPCs that traveled with him/her.

But Revan...my thoughts and feelings on Revan is something entirely different. First of all, let's just put this one thing to rest right now. Mostly for people that seem to disagree with what I'm about to type here. Knights of the Old Republic IS REVAN'S TALE. Period. Plain and simple. There are no if, ands, or buts about it.

It would be like saying the Star Wars movies are not about Anakin Skywalker. Sure you could make the argument that the original trilogy was about Luke and his journey. But by the time you get to ROTJ, you discover that even Luke's saga was only a means to an end. And only a small part of a much larger story: the redemption of Anakin Skywalker.

As Anakin was the main focus and thrust of the Star Wars movies, so Revan is the main focus and thrust of the KOTOR era.

Nuff said.

Now, on to K3. I would obviously like to play Revan again. And if we had to start off as a new PC, then it should only serve to reconcile Revan's story somehow. I wouldn't even be opposed to playing as Revan and Bastila's (or Carth's, which would be interesting because Dustil might figure into the equation somehow) secret offspring or something. But whatever OE (or whoever) decides to do with K3, it should leave nothing left to the imagination when it comes to Revan's fate.

And by the way, I was really disappointed with how they handled Bastila in K2. If they were going to include her at all then she should've been either a) one of the Jedi Masters you had to find; or b) and NPC you encountered on Malachor V, broken and nearly deranged. Kind of like how we first encountered Freyyar in the Shadowlands. And then maybe after you fought her or talked with her, she would join you (if you are LS) and help you confront Sion and Traya in the Trayus Academy. After all, if there is one person that knows anything about betrayal, it would be Bastila. And what she is doing is not out of loyalty to the Republic, but out of love to Revan.

The way she was portrayed in K2, she was just some NPC hanging out with Carth on Citadel Station wondering if you've heard anything about Revan. I mean, if you never played K1 you would've thought that that chick hanging out in Carth's office was just some groupee or something. You would have no idea who she was. Primarily because you are only able to see Bastila if you say certain things and have a certain amount of skills to access hidden files in the droids. But you see Carth no matter what.

Lame.

So, yeah. I would like to see Revan have a major role in K3. Maybe even Bastila. But, based on what I've heard about OEs possible plans for a K3, they would take the series into a completely different direction than the first two games. So I doubt we'll see Revan or whats-his-name ever again.

:o

I know this might sound a little harsh, but I could care less what happens to the Exile. I really couldn't. Primarily because I have no attachment to the character whatsoever.

...That pretty much goes for most of the NPCs that traveled with him/her.

I agree with that, actually. The exile was just a hollow character to me, never really got attached to him/her.

I did like some of the NPCs, though. I'm still interested in whatever story Mandalore (AKA you-know-who) may still have, and I was rather fond of Visas as well. As the other characters could potentially become jedi, I'd also like to know how they'll deal with rebuilding the order (if they did). And of course HK-47, but more because he provides me with some amusing comments than for a rich character.

The exile really couldn't be saved, I think. It's a shame the other characters were not developed further, though.

As for the rest, I can't say I agree with everything. Revan should play an important role, but I don't think (s)he is the only one with a story to tell. After the new Revan-plot TSL introduced, I do expect to see it resolved, however. I'm also quite unhappy about how TSL screwed over Revan and Bastila/Carth by more or less negating everything that happened in the first game. I don't expect to see Revan as a PC or even an NPC, though. But I will be unhappy if Revan is just ignored (or screwed over by some other twist) again.

The only time you're going to see Revan in Kotor3 is if they put him/her in dark-side robes a la kotor2. I think that if Revan ever appeared in the K3, the illusions people have come up with would be shattered, because of the way they talk, look, etc etc. And is seeing Revan again *really* necessary?

I wouldn't buy Revan coming back after the storyline in kotor2 (which i loved, btw, and i thought the end was good, too. So I might have a few conflicting ideas). But Kreia pretty much explains that Revan's fate is to venture into the unknown and it's pretty likely he/she is not coming back. I personally feel it would be better for the series if Revan was just lost - sounds lame, but makes the most sense. This is pretty much the formula for all legends. The exile is subject to the same fate, I feel. And I liked the exile :p

The only time you're going to see Revan in Kotor3 is if they put him/her in dark-side robes a la kotor2. I think that if Revan ever appeared in the K3, the illusions people have come up with would be shattered, because of the way they talk, look, etc etc. And is seeing Revan again *really* necessary?

You're probably right about the robe/mask thing. Regrettably. I don't think it's possible for Obsidian to give me an ending I'd be satisfied with with the robe/mask routine. At some point, they'll have to take a stand regarding Revan's gender and alignment, and if they plan on a worthwhile ending for Revan, that means they'll have to do a lot of work to produce 2-4 different stories.

As for whether it's necessary or not, yes I think so. It wouldn't have been if Obsidian had not dragged Revan into the unknown regions, but they did for some reason and I'm not ready to let them get away with something like that.

Whether it is necessary or not is purely subjective. But from a storyline point of view, i think the only feasible option is that were never going to see Revan again. Doesn't mean were not going to hear of Revan again, though, far from it. What if K3 explained what Revan had found in the unknown regions? In sufficient depth, it would be possible to satisfy everyone.

And Aegis, if they don't put Revan in K3, are you going to raid Obsidian HQ with punishing stick in hand? :p

"I'm not ready to let them get away with something like that" = lol

But from a storyline point of view, i think the only feasible option is that were never going to see Revan again. Doesn't mean were not going to hear of Revan again, though, far from it. What if K3 explained what Revan had found in the unknown regions? In sufficient depth, it would be possible to satisfy everyone.

That's perfectly acceptable to me. As long as Revan's story is told to an end (and not one that simply goes "oh (s)he died somewhere for some reason" or whatever). If he dies, he dies, but at least let him die for something meaningful. That said, I would prefer Revan didn't die for some reason. This is rather odd, because I'm usually one to advocate the tragic and/or bitter-sweet endings. I suppose it could be a sign that BioWare did a good job with Revan, or maybe I just needed a happy ending for once.

And Aegis, if they don't put Revan in K3, are you going to raid Obsidian HQ with punishing stick in hand?

No, but I'll... I'm... Well, basically, I'll do nothing, but I won't be happy about it. As for not letting them get away with it, I meant that I wouldn't just shrug it off. I can complain about it, and why shouldn't I if I think it'll make the game better?

Exile, hollow, hole, etc etc... :(

Come on people, what have over half the discussions in the Spoiler section been about? :)

Sorry, I was just commenting on the irony of someone calling him a Hollow character, when his whole 'gift' to the Galaxy is him being a gaping wound...

Geekified Star Wars Geek

Heart of the Force, Arm of the Force

"Only a Sith deals in absolutes!"

-Obi-wan to Anakin (NOT advocating Grey-Jedidom)

"The Force doesn't control people, Kreia controls people."