Revan's fate in KotOR 3 (or later)

How do you want Revan to finish off his/her role in the KotOR story (in K3 or otherwise) ? Read topic header first before voting  

154 members have voted

1. 1. How do you want Revan to finish off his/her role in the KotOR story (in K3 or otherwise) ? Read topic header first before voting

• Unknown. (ala KotOR II)
    • Tells your character to tell Bastila/Carth he won't return
    • Returns to Republic space, back to Bastila/Carth?
    • Dies/Died, either by sacrafice, or by fighting
    • Dies by player's hand
    • Other (Post)

That would fit, except for the fact that Ben was the first to "become one with the force" and the reasoning why it hasn't happened before, and will later, is allegedly to be explained in Episode 3.

There's an FAQ regarding this on StarWars.com with George Lucas' own response.

KotOR2 didn't, and as if that's not enough, it managed to destroy any feeling of accomplishment I had from KotOR1.

So true, so true. I hate what TSL did with Revan. Send him/her off to an unknown place god with an unknown reason without any of his/her companions (nevermind that there was practically zero difference whether Revan was LS or DS -- mind you, in the first game the destruction of an artifact of cosmic power depends on it). The main thing I was afraid of regarding KotOR and TSL is that this is basically the story of one set of writers continued by a completely different set (and I know that the second set has a record of much darker stories). Those fears proved well founded. :angry:

After what they've done, I don't even know what kind of an fate I want for Revan for KotOR3. The only things that are easy to think of are nasty -- death, return to the Dark Side, etc. etc. To come up with a happy yet meaningful ending to Revan's tale after TSL would require considerable effort and skill at writing. Combined with the fact that the folks at Obsidian are not known for happy endings to begin with, I expect nothing good to come from KotOR3 as far as Revan is concerned. Then again, maybe they'll surprise me just this once.

My personal feelings about Revan:

He has given up on the outer rim and the other local galaxies. I believe he is enjoying his luxury of a large armada and exploring the universe. Little actually can fight him and even hope of scarring him.

I believe he should return, however with the light side ending KOTOR 2 and you have the choice to follow your master or follow the light. Revan only had one apprentice as far as im sure but had many understudies.

There is nothing there for you Jedi, only weakness surrounds the Jedi Order, just Give in

So true, so true. I hate what TSL did with Revan. Send him/her off to an unknown place god with an unknown reason without any of his/her companions (nevermind that there was practically zero difference whether Revan was LS or DS -- mind you, in the first game the destruction of an artifact of cosmic power depends on it). The main thing I was afraid of regarding KotOR and TSL is that this is basically the story of one set of writers continued by a completely different set (and I know that the second set has a record of much darker stories). Those fears proved well founded. :angry:

After what they've done, I don't even know what kind of an fate I want for Revan for KotOR3. The only things that are easy to think of are nasty -- death, return to the Dark Side, etc. etc.  To come up with a happy yet meaningful ending to Revan's tale after TSL would require considerable effort and skill at writing. Combined with the fact that the folks at Obsidian are not known for happy endings to begin with, I expect nothing good to come from KotOR3 as far as Revan is concerned. Then again, maybe they'll surprise me just this once.

You probably would have liked it if they had run it like FFX-2 :geek:

Mind you if you wanted the happy ever after you really had to work for it.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

You probably would have liked it if they had run it like FFX-2 :p

Mind you if you wanted the happy ever after you really had to work for it.

I haven't played FFX-2, but I have absolutely no problem with happy endings that one has to work for. In fact, I believe the reason such things aren't done often is because it makes the other endings less relevant -- you either have to trick the player into choosing an unhappy ending or most people will just do the extra work and get the happy one.

you cant come back from a journey like than and just settle down and live happy ever after.

Like I said before, if Revan is gonna come back and live happily ever after which is what I want (in love and no Jedi to tell him off either! ;) ), they'll have to change him in someways or else it'll be unrealistic. Considering how Kenobi, Yoda, and in some ways LS Anakin Skywalker all had many many years away, there are a few avenues to bring him back...in one piece - maybe have your new player convince Revan to return after saving him from DS? It's all pretty open I suppose.

sigpic0yb.jpg

Pure Pazaak - The Stand-alone Multiplayer Pazaak Game (link to Obsidian board thread)

Pure Pazaak website (big thank you to fingolfin)

Does anyone remember that in kotor 1 in the sith academy yuthura ban was talking about the sith'ari the perfect being according to the sith perhaps revan has gone of to fight them.

:(

for the side i think it will be not a problem, after TSL i doubt that Revan can be again DS, in my opinion s/he will be grey and in particular the uberguy mentioned in KOTOR1.

:cool:

This is my guess for a third game story which explains what may happen to Revan:

It is clear that Revan had a greater and more important plan before the events that took place in KotOR I. Jedi Civil War and even Mandalorian War might have been only battles that were prelude to a greater war. It is almost certain that Revan found something when he went away after the Mandalorian War, something which perhaps forced him to return to Republic space; maybe to unite all under his banner so that the approaching threat could be faced best. He, however, had to face his traitorous "apprentice" Malak and seeing that due to the nature of living things it was impossible for them to act in unity before a threat appeared, he went off to face the threat by himself, hoping to halt its advance temporarily if not permanently.

Why did the game-makers introduce the exile then? It is clear that the exile must also play a role in future games, he knows, as Kreia told him, that there is something Revan went to look for beyond the Outer Rim, leaving all his allies behind. Because of this, he will probably try to find Revan and I think the third game can be one where the player follows Revan's footsteps beyond the Outer Rim, with comments and flashbacks through the Force of how those places were before Revan; and will find Revan dead, but his aim fulfilled, the threat temporarily halted. Then the exile will stop the advance of the threat once and for all. In this way major characters of both games can be used.

One thing which TSL seems to ignore is Revan and the Star Forge. In KotOR 1 you find out he left the order looking for it, and the game gave us the hint that Revan went to fight on the Outer Rim as an excuse to search for it.

sigpic0yb.jpg

Pure Pazaak - The Stand-alone Multiplayer Pazaak Game (link to Obsidian board thread)

Pure Pazaak website (big thank you to fingolfin)

Lot of interesting visions were disclosed here, and I believe we are majorly overestimating the role of Revan in the tales to come. I do not envy the ones privilaged by the duty of making KotOR III, for they will be faced with a fan base too attached to their first SW hero. Even as I played TSL I kept thinking about Revan, and his tale, but in essence that was faulty, it was not really meant to be, not at such a degree anyway. This is due only to the excellence of BioWare, they made a game, where any player could easily get attached to their alter ego. Revan's faith should be concluded in k3, but it will be a difficult job to do, and furthermore it will take away from the new pc's importance.

The way I see it, the fans of the original tend to make a tragic hero out of Revan, and I believe this process is unjust, and faulty at its roots. I detailed before: Revan had no intention of taking the war to the True Sith before his capture by the Jedi. He was driven by the same clich

KotOR II left Revan's journey and fate pretty open - it was all the talk and background of why he left, but it is implied that something has gone on because it's been so long.

How would you want Revan's role to end in the KotOR series (which may or may not be KotOR3, since no one knows)?

Since everyone probably has their own scenario, I've left the poll options pretty open which cover the main options of dies, returns changed, returns happily to Bastila/Carth romance, or whatever. Also, you can decide whether the whole KotOR plot about Unknown True Sith is finished or not - there's nothing wrong with Revan returning without a full resolution to that plot. Also, it may not be explicit in the game (so just because Revan returns doesn't mean you follow him back) - take a global overview.

Just remember, it's what you want to happen?

I think that K3 should ultimately 'imply' a return, but this war would be an ongoing conflict, and wrapping things up with a nice tidy bow (going back to pressing lips in the cargo hold) is not necessarily the best option. Leave that part to the imagination.

As for the storyline, this is REVAN's story, and I personally loved the character. To have him or her absent, or to find a cold mummified body somewhere, would not be as satisfying as getting to play the character again. Not at all. However, I also feel the Exile has a crucial part in the story, and the success or failure of Revan's plan.

Frankly, the thought of playing a new padawan yet AGAIN leaves me cold. I would much rather see the starring roles reprised, perhaps splitting the viewpoint. Not to mention that a padawan would have to go through a discovery process all over again. Sure, there are some things we don't know about Revan's journey, and the history of the Sith/Republic, but it would be a monumental undertaking to try and weave in all of the things we already know, and still have game enough left for progression. I think it would work best to have the story revealed from Revan's viewpoint, contrasted with the Exile's.

I would foresee some difficulties between the two characters, though, when they eventually meet. The Exile turned away from Revan's cause, which would imply disloyalty, and lack of trust on Revan's part. Not only that, but Revan does not know if the Exile turned away out of fear or just because he/she couldn't cut the mustard. 'Revan grew to despise weakness.'

On the Exile's side (if light), the perception is that Revan turned to the dark side. Reverse as needed. Even if he or she believes that Revan had another agenda, that is unproven. And that is the heart of the story.

Exile's outstanding abilities were NEEDED for something ... what? Revan recognized the method by which the true Sith would attack, studied the bonding process and potential extensively. But learned abilities are not as strong as natural talent, and he/she may have run into trouble. I don't think Revan sent T3 back for the Exile specifically, that was all Kreia's doing. She alone recognized and gambled that Exile could be rehabilitated enough to turn the tide. Or at least to get Revan out. Perhaps Revan failed in his attempt, and as the two flee, Malachor/Korriban will become the focus of a final battle yet again.

That's what I want to see. And please don't forget Carth! And is Bao-Dur REALLY dead? I sure hope not, because he could solve a LOT of technical problems on the Republic's end...

The dev's of K3 could do lots of things. TSL ensured that the plot is very open ended and could go many ways.(obviously)

If Revan and the Exile are NPC's and the player is a third party, then at some point the player will have to choose their portait and gender (like at the beginning of the game) to ensure that the player has the choice of who Revan and the Exile are like in previous games. If they even appear in the game that is.

Or they could be masked, armored, sith lords if the Devs get lazy and don't want all that extra dialoge and story.

We should get to decide if Revan and the Exile are DS or LS through dialoge choices, like in TSL. At least I hope...

Perhaps you (Revan) are imprisoned by the 'True Sith' and the Exile comes and rescues you with the Ebon Hawk and becomes your first party member?

But I think they will bring back the playable Revan. Otherwise more $@#! will hit the fan than in TSL. ;)

I haven't played FFX-2, but I have absolutely no problem with happy endings that one has to work for. In fact, I believe the reason such things aren't done often is because it makes the other endings less relevant -- you either have to trick the player into choosing an unhappy ending or most people will just do the extra work and get the happy one.

Major FF spoilers to follow..

In FFX you play a character called Tidus (though you can rename it it's still the same character).

Tidus is flung 1000 years into the future by an encounter with a being called Sin (at least he thinks he is).

In the new world he meets Yuna who is a summoner. The purpose of the Summoner is to jouney to each of the temples of Spira and awaken the Aeon therein. Then having done so visit the sacred city of Zanarkand and fight sin by awakening the final Aeon.

The down side to this is that the Final Aeon will take the body of one her guardians and after killing Sin will then kill her. This is what happened to her father 10 years prior to the start of the game.

However the Summoners see 10 years free of Sin (or the calm) as a small price to pay for the sacrifice.

Enter Tidus who falls for Yuna and convinces her to not just blindly follow the teachings of Yevan (the church of spira).

Ultimately they unite the world and destroy Sin completely and Yu Yevan too (sins creator).

Unfortunately Tidus isnt actually real, he's a waking dream which escaped from the Zanarkand that exists inside Sin (and in Yu Yevons mind) which means that the death of Sin not only destroys the Aeons , but also destroys Tidus as well.

Cut too 2 years on. Yuna is a big celebrity having saved the world but she still misses Tidus. Rikku , Yuna's cousin finds a sphere which appears to show Tidus imprissoned somewhere. This leads Yuna on a new quest to find Tidus, but unfortunately the person in the sphere isnt him. It's actually someone from a 1000 years before.The time of the war that created Sin. And he's not the happiest chappy in the world having gone insane.

After a huge quest where Yuna confronts her passed, her feelings for Tidus and pieces together the story of what happened to Lenn 1000 years ago if you complete enough of the game then you get the happy ever after where the Aeons bring Tidus back to life. Or you can just come to terms with his loss and have an alternate ending.

You do have a point there some people do want the happy ever after ending. But equally some people dont. For some characters happy ever after just dosnt work.

What I loathe above all things is where the designer ignores what you do in order to tell the story. Like Malak in KOTOR, in my game he died on the Leviathon but the script still played out anyway. Likewise with his cheesey escape routine sentinels are not supposed to be paralysed so he shouldnt be able to do it.

So regardless of which ending you want to put across as a writer , unless you tie it in with the game rules then you simply cheapen everything the characters have accomplished to that point.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

I think it shud be a 9part series. With each new KOTOR game adding a new character and the last part is where they get together and fight the threat that is in the unknown regions. The Exile / Revan/ a bunch of others who served in the mandalorian war.

-jim

I want the Revan/Carth thing resolved once & for all! After the investment of time I put into their story, I want my frigging happy ending alright?! <snicker> Besides, I think we females are owed that much after being disappointed by Atton Rand (I liked the character, but he could've been a touch more communicative and/or romantic)... <chuckle> Hopefully, males will get some sort of equally satisfying ending with their preferred love object as well. :thumbsup:

If Bio does KOTOR III then any of the above (since Revan was their character and all) if anyone else does KOTOR III then he is a distant memory. Same goes with the exile if OE does KOTOR III then any of the above if anyone else does it then a distant memory.

"The only difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits!" - Albert Einstein.

"It's better to be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt!"

"You can try to kill me, you'd fail!, but you can try!" - Revan.

"When you have exhausted all other possibilities whatever remains, however improbable must be the truth." - Sherlock Holmes (a.k.a. Sir Arthur Conan Dole)

"A lack of planning on your part, does not constitute an emergency on my part"

AscendedPaladin.png

that is true. IF Revan returns, He needs good storyline.

A mysterious bounty hunter for the starting class and the Later classes you will tell that you are Jedi _Any class_ _PC_Name_ Revan at the key moment of a key moment of the story.

there will be a Jedi Master and a Sith Master that will join Revan.

To complete Exile's story, Kotor 3: An Exile's story will be fine.

For the guys whom want a new PC, Kotor 3: the new guy.

I liked both the Exile and Revan, but Revan more so than the Exile. The point is that there is only one person I trust to create an ending I am satisfied with, and that is me. After all, this is an RPG. I should get to choose how my players ended up.

Hell, I'd be happy if it was 100 years in the future and I got a little snippet about Revan from an "Atton" device, who says something like, "If I recall correctly, in those years after the Jedi Civil War, Revan disappeared only never to return...." To which you could correct him and say, "Well, that's not what happened. He came back from the Unknown Regions and was reunited with the Jedi Bastila Shan." Or "She returned from the Unknown Regions and was reunited with Admiral Onasi.