Sacred

Volourn

Eh. I just picked up the game this week for a decent price (at least decent for us Kanadian losers), and though I have issues with it; I'm enjoying it thus far. I've played it for about 5 hours or so, thus far. Some points:

- Combat is fast paced; but managable due to Sacred's version of quick slots. Not as refined as NWN's; but solid.

- I am personally finding the combat challenging; though I've learned that's because I started a level 1 character in 'Silver' mode.

- Horses rock! Yes, horses rock! Without my horse; but battle mage would have no chance.

- Graphics are solid, the music is good - some tracks like the intro theme and some battle music is awesome. Voice overs have a range fromc rap to great so meh

- Character creation pretty much sucks... You choose from 6 classes which have predefined races, and sexes. You also choose your name. That's it.

- On the other hand, character development is pretty good. Not as indepth as say NWN or TOEE; but solid. You raise your attributes, choose new skills every once and awhile, and raise your skill points as well.

- Levelling also gives you more weapon and magic/combat skill s'lots' as well.

- Items are plentiful and varied. This game is definitely ph@t lewt of epic proportions.

- Quests suck. They basically are go up to NPC, they tell you their problem, youa ccept or not, finish it. You have no other decision to make. At all.

- Travelling comapnies are neat. So far, I've met a s oldier who brought me to his leader and a buffoon and his body guard who I need to help get to a town (of course the bodygaurd died, lol).

- Your character does seem to have a resapwn ability but I don't bother using it as I just reload when I die. Resapwning is sooooooo passe...

- The main story is nothing special; but pretty cool.

- The world seems to be HUGE at least according to the map.

- Speaking of the map, it is well done except the 'Dummy Indicators for quests' needs to go. Talk about lame.

My character is a Level 8 Battle Mage who has taken Riding and Earth Magic has his skills. He rides his horse in battle, and weilds 2 handed weapons. Does pretty good for himself though I spend my time mostly hitting and running and casting the ocassional fireball when it recharges...

In all, so far, the game is fun; but the game isn't exactly a RPG. More like an Action Adebture game since its main qualities is the funness of the combat and the exploring of the land. Accorsing to the book, fully 70% of it is reachable right away without having to open it on virtue of alinear path.

I'd rate it about 70-80%. Very solid. Also, due to me waiting so long, the game is very stable. I only have to problems bug or annoyance wise - 1. sometimes, I cna't get on or off the hrose when I choose to. Very annoying. 2. sometimes, my spells don't cast when I try them. Died or have had to retreat a few times because of this 'feature'.

I might even buy the expansion when it comes out! Ill be able to play a dwarf then!

What do thsoe who may have played it think of Sacred? I now actually think the mantra of it being a 'Diablo killer' is true. At least for me, personally.

:)o:):o

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Well I played it but grown bored with it, its a diablo killer in relation to multiplayer if not for the countless bug, also I prefered it since it have more quests and does not force us to play about 10 levels to see something new.

drakron.png

I quite like it; it reminds me of Diablo 2 meets Divine Divinity.

I haven't played it on my new uber-rig yet, and on my old system I had some lag when zooming the camera out. I'm sure that won't be a problem now. My plan is to re-install when the expansion comes out and start a new game.

If that developer used the engine to create more of a traditional RPG then it would be excellent. As it is, it's still a solid, fun action CRPG.

Cheers

MC

sonsofgygax.JPG

Sacred isn't a great RPG by any stretch of the imagination but it has its moments. Honestly best times I've had with that game was co-op multiplayer with some friends on Ventrillo (alot like Roger Wilco, voice software).

Spoilers - Battle Mage below.

Develop your Ghost Meadow and Ice Shards (I believe thats the 2 spells). When you cast Ghost Meadow it shortens the length of the recharge of your spells. And Ice Shards becomes just uberpowerful at later levels. Meteor Shower is another good damage spell, but <3 for Ice Shards.

Ran like crap on my computer which has a 2 gig proc, and I found the incessant respawning of monsters tedious, far worse than Diablo II.

Felt like a waste to me, but I never patched it, bought it first week out, etc. It's possible it would be a better deal now. I just got frustrated with the lag.

I tried the demo and didn't care for it very much. It was fun for a couple of minutes, but it wasn't long before the monotony set in and I realised that the entire game (which I hear is quite large) would be painfully redundant.

newlogo.gif

I had great fun with it, particularly once I realized the joy of an elven archer with multi-split arrow feat! Horses, bah, not for me. I prefer to run like the wind!

Sacred was truly a fun hack-n-slash, loot-grubbing, massive world exploring good time! I enjoyed heck out of it, and will no doubt load it up and play it again sometime soon.

I liked the demo, but, like for instance TotSC, would never buy the full game. Same ****, different day.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

I read the description at my dealers- my Hack N Slash detector went haywire and I hit the back button with a slight feeling of disgust.

...plus it was made by a bunch of bloody gerries, a nation of people famous for the highly creative story and enourmous character depth of games like FarCry :lol:"

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Sacred is just a heap of boring, uninspired rubbish. But some talentless developers will always try to copy Blizzard's game principles, thinking they could land the same hit, but just don't realize that only Blizzard can do a heck of a fun game with Hack&Slash gameplay, because they're taking their time to balance every aspect to death (which is in game game full of statistics absolutely critical).

And when we're at Hack&Slash, I'm just wondering how that Chris "Dumbass" Taylor and his crew of Gas Powered Farts landed a hit with a game simpler than D2 and making even no fun at all!

*adds a few extra nasty-pointy-thingies to his crude but efficient club*

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

And when we're at Hack&Slash, I'm just wondering how that Chris "Dumbass" Taylor and his crew of Gas Powered Farts landed a hit with a game simpler than D2 and making even no fun at all!

Well considering I

Life is like a clam. Years of filtering crap then some bastard cracks you open and scrapes you into its damned mouth, end of story.

- Steven Erikson

Different people like different kinds of games. I enjoyed Sacred; I hated Diablo and Diablo 2. Furthermore, when the mood strikes me I like to play Dungeon Siege, if for no other reason than to goggle the gorgeous scenery and gather cool loot!

Flinging adolescent insults at any game we personally don't like reflects more on the mental age of the insulter than it does on the quality of the games in question.

"Flinging adolescent insults at any game we personally don't like reflects more on the mental age of the insulter than it does on the quality of the games in question."

Yet you insulting other posters' intellect is the height of intelligence. Lame.

Geez.. Even when we basically agree (I like Sacred too hence this thread); you still come off us as a very arrogant poster all the while trying to play the innocent.

I'd rather have people come in this thread and say Sacred sucks then your method of defending the game. :thumbsup:"

"I like flinging adolescents at people who are insulting."

Throwing adolescents and old people at the same time is even more fun!

I'd rather have people come in this thread and say Sacred sucks then your method of defending the game. :-"

Sacred Sucks!

sorry, couldn't resist.

Life is like a clam. Years of filtering crap then some bastard cracks you open and scrapes you into its damned mouth, end of story.

- Steven Erikson

If you like Sacred or Dungeon Siege or that abomination that ruined CRPGs for all future that begins with the letter "D", then you have bad or no taste, which in turn makes you a bad human being whose opinions deserve only scorn and mockery.

...and Ive never understood the fun of loot... or why it can be found in such ludicrous places like the inside of rodents or in the randomly scattered barrels that every dungeon interior decorator seem so found of.