Did Lucas say No to the content patch

Frankly I'm amazed that Obsidian even asked, I'm further amazed that all the people bitching about the ending aren't more behind this. Here is a chance to petition a lucasarts response to a Dev request and everyones quiet.

So were you guys just bitching and yelling to bitch and yell? Don't you think the one thing that would convience Lucas to approve the DEV REQUEST is to see fan support?

It happens and I am all for a content patch, but we all know that online petitions are useless.  :)

Yeah but the thing is, we knew that before and it didn't stop the outrage over the ending. We then get the indication that the DEV's hear us, and even go so far as to ask permission from lucasarts to do a content patch...then everyone shuts up and disappears. They get their chance to show a lot of support for it (which could sway lucas) and they claim up.

So again, all they really wanted was something to bitch about.

Let Obsidian handle this..

If they can convince LA to change their minds then I would obviously be happy, even thoug I do not believe that the ending was bad. Either way it is always nice to have extra material to play with.

I would prefer that these resources should be dedicated in the development of K3.

And by the light of the moon

He prays for their beauty not doom

I printed a letter off and snail-mailed it to LucasArts, asking for an expansion pack. At least I know then that someone at LucasArts will read it.

There was a petition thread on this forum to restore the cut ending, but it was deleted suddenly and without explanation. Some people have speculated that this was the result of LucasArts' complaining to Obsidian, though no-one seems to know for sure. That, and the announcement that these forums could close, may have caused some people to 'self-censor' their posts, avoiding topics that might be objectionable. Or people may simply be reconciling themselves to the imperfections of the game after the initial anger has worn off.

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

I am certain that Obsidian are the best people to handle this question, but at the same time I feel that we should show support for their case, so that LucasArts see that the people are behind this decision. This should all happen politely of course, none of that infantile b*tching and complaining. This is something we want, this is something Obsidian want, we don't achieve anything in the real world by throwing tantrums.

I don't know, but seeing that the thread where a Chris Avellone mentioded about OE requesting the permission to do the content patch has been deleted, I think we may have gotten our answer regarding any content patches or expansion packs.

I'd hate to be the pessimist here, but I think I should point out that "content patch" could mean anything. Sure, it could be what the majority of us want, filling in the plotholes, restoring the HK factory subquest, fixing the ending so that it makes some semblance of sense and is somewhat dramatic, or it could be just a couple of extra lightsaber crystals. The moral of the story: Don't get your hopes up.

I'd hate to be the pessimist here, but I think I should point out that "content patch" could mean anything.  Sure, it could be what the majority of us want, filling in the plotholes, restoring the HK factory subquest, fixing the ending so that it makes some semblance of sense and is somewhat dramatic, or it could be just a couple of extra lightsaber crystals.  The moral of the story:  Don't get your hopes up.

They probably wouldn't need permission from LA. Unless everything that goes on requires permission...

I'd hate to be the pessimist here, but I think I should point out that "content patch" could mean anything.  Sure, it could be what the majority of us want, filling in the plotholes, restoring the HK factory subquest, fixing the ending so that it makes some semblance of sense and is somewhat dramatic, or it could be just a couple of extra lightsaber crystals.  The moral of the story:  Don't get your hopes up.

They probably wouldn't need permission from LA. Unless everything that goes on requires permission...

They do need explicit permission for anything, because of the setting license.

They could do something like Thief Gold>Thief: The Dark Project, add all the missing content, patch the game, add extra stuff and ship the improved game; they could offer a big discount if you choose to change your current game for the improved gold version. Thief: The Dark Project wasn't as successful as KOTOR 2 but that was Looking Glass and this is Obsidian (not even Black Isle); I don't know if I'll buy NWN2, if someone will say there's one single problem with it I'll be satisfied with Oblivion and Bioshock, also LucasArts and Microsoft can keep their happy happy paying customers, I'm no longer one of them.

If Obsidian would really care about KOTOR 2 they would convince LucasArts that a gold version is profitable.

The patch is in testing for two weeks now. Seems like a long time for a "technical" patch.

I hope they haven't experienced any serious problems...

"Jedi poodoo!" - some displeased Dug

S.L.J. said he has already filmed his death scene and was visibly happy that he

They could do something like Thief Gold>Thief: The Dark Project, add all the missing content, patch the game, add extra stuff and ship the improved game; they could offer a big discount if you choose to change your current game for the improved gold version. Thief: The Dark Project wasn't as successful as KOTOR 2 but that was Looking Glass and this is Obsidian (not even Black Isle); I don't know if I'll buy NWN2, if someone will say there's one single problem with it I'll be satisfied with Oblivion and Bioshock, also LucasArts and Microsoft can keep their happy happy paying customers, I'm no longer one of them.

If Obsidian would really care about KOTOR 2 they would convince LucasArts that a gold version is profitable.

A "KotOR II: Gold Edition" somewhere down the line is the awesomest idea I have yet heard bandied about, among credible solutions which might see unimplemented content released. Good thinking.

A "KotOR II: Gold Edition" somewhere down the line is the awesomest idea I have yet heard bandied about, among credible solutions which might see unimplemented content released. Good thinking.

Credible? How many do you think would pay for it a second time?

"Jedi poodoo!" - some displeased Dug

S.L.J. said he has already filmed his death scene and was visibly happy that he

It all depends on the content.

It would be worth a second time if they have the full content and technical patches on the game, comes on DVD, the movie cutscenes remastered to play at a sharper resolution at DVD quality, has the Full stereo soundtrack audio CD from both games available, and KotOR 1 is packaged (also on DVD withthe remastered cutscenes) as well.

How is the possibility of a future gold edition not credible? Practically every major hit PC release of the last 10 years has seen a "Gold Edition" or "Game of the Year Edition" or equivalent rerelease at some point, whether added content was trivial (patches to date) or non-trivial (patches, added content, extras). If you're contesting whether current owners of the game would buy it, that has absolutely nothing to do with my point, which was merely that a 'special edition' rerelease was the only credible story I'd heard so far of how unimplemented content might in fact be made available to consumers.

It all depends on the content.

It would be worth a second time if they have the full content and technical patches on the game, comes on DVD, the movie cutscenes remastered to play at a sharper resolution at DVD quality, has the Full stereo soundtrack audio CD from both games available, and KotOR 1 is packaged (also on DVD withthe remastered cutscenes) as well.

Wow, I'd buy that. :)

Too bad it sounds too good to be true... ;)

manthing2.jpg

Nobody, if the user made mods see the light of day. Unless they make it for Xbox, that might sell.

The reason I don't see a content patch is two things:

1. It would mean that Lucasarts is admitting to the charges that we know to be true. They rush games for the money.

2. They can't add the content in the Xbox version. It would get all the Xbox fans upset.

If I was in charge of LucasArts that is what I would push forward. It would require minimal of funds and resources to do and it would sell tons. In fact I am sure they would easily charge $50 to $60 for it and people would lap it up. They could also do a Game of the Year edition for the X-Box like Bethesda did for Morrowind with its expansions.