WoW

I thinking about geting World of Warcraft as i have heard it's extreamly fun but i wanted to know what you all though. Is it worth the $12 a month?  ;)

Only if you have good friends that will play with you. Soloing in WoW is oh so boring and annoying, esp. when you have to find a group to do the harder quests.

I haven't found it to be too much a grind and I have a 47 lv Paladin now. Although I admit my frame of reference for grinding is UO and EQ, which rate terrible compared to WoW.

I also have to admit that I do enjoy single player RGPs much more, but WoW is the closest MMORGP I've experienced to capturing the single player fun within an on-line game. I've pretty much solo'd all the way up to 47th, joining an occasional group to do a higher level instance run. I'm pretty much hooked on it, esp since the single player RPG market has nothing to offer me right now (not a Star Wars fan in the slightest, sorry Obsidian).

The largest detractor ... all the 3l1t3 wankers that hover over the MMORPG games and WoW is no different, though my server is not as bad as one of the PvP servers.

I thinking about geting World of Warcraft as i have heard it's extreamly fun but i wanted to know what you all though. Is it worth the $12 a month?  :)

Well, I traded in my PS2 Saturday for it and a 2 month game card, and I have to say that I find it to be a good trade. Granted, I only played about 4 games on the PS2 that I enjoyed over a 3 1/2 year timespan, but I am enjoying the heck out of WoW. It is beautiful, even on my GeForce 2, and lots of fun. My wife, who despises computer games, has spent the last three nights watching me play and helping me out, and yesterday put the baby to bed early so she could watch me play. As for the monthly fee, it's about $0.50 a day, which is about the price of the local newspaper, so even poor little me can afford to play.

I have a 38th level Hunter on a non-PvP server and a 20th level Paladin on a PvP server and while I haven't been able to play a lot lately I've really enjoyed the time I've put into the game.

My experience solo-ing has probably been skewed from other people, because I've spent most of my time as a Hunter which is a fun solo class.

All in all, I would say that WoW is my second favorite MMP behind Anarchy Online.

Feargus Urquhart

CEO

Obsidian Entertainment, Inc.

I don't like the idea of MMORPG.

There is no purpose to such games.

They aren't relaxing.

And they end up being boring after a while.

And by the light of the moon

He prays for their beauty not doom

My paladin is now level 53 and I still cant get enough of World of Warcraft. I'm impressed by the sheer amount of detail that's been crammed into this game. Every day I see and do new things, even though I have 11 full days logged! Amazing game.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

I'll wait for the free fan servers to become active before buying the game. Personally I hate monthly playing fees. Poor student and all that. :devil:

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Personally I hate monthly playing fees.

That is why I never get any of those types of games. I mean, $12 a month just to play 1 friggen game!!! I can buy a few games with the money I save and play them online without having to pay to play them. If the price was more reasonable (I wouldn't say around what Live costs cause you get to play lot of games with that) like say, a buck a month, then I'd get it.

WoW has a dead spot in the 40s that can be very difficult to overcome (lack of content options for characters level 45-50 is an issue).

I suspect this is when many people re-roll or give up. The first 30 levels got a lot of love (heavily played in the beta) and go by fast enough that I don't mind playing them.

Levels 50+ are a blast. The quests and challenges slowly increase and the zones you frequent are really good stuff. If you can make it to 50, I suggest finding a group of regulars to do the dungeons/quests and you will not regret it.

I use to obsessively play WoW when it first came out, but now I can't bring myself to play it all. The world and setting is very cool , but the whole time playing felt very futile.

You (I) can't really shake the feeling that the game is merely designed to drain your time and your money. As it takes hundreds of hours to reach the highest plateau, and even then there are gazillion other players better than you.

MMORPGS tend to make me feel like an ant rather than a hero, which I tend to prefer..and WoW was no different :thumbsup:

Again its art and such is great..definite saving grace if thats all you care about.

If you're into raiding and all that "end-game" content, there isn't much to be found yet. They're going to be implementing a lot of stuff in two more content patches, but they haven't set a date. As it stands, there are only two 40-man events. There may be a patch today (at least, they've been hinting at today) that will add two more raid bosses. PvP is extremely weak and pointless at the moment as well.

Their customer service is probably the worst I've ever experienced. It's a pretty fun game, but I say hold off a few months unless you're really itching to play.

Strange thing is.. If I had to pay for this game (my job gives me subscriptions for free) I'm not sure I'd want to play it either. Now, when I dont have to pay for it, it feels like just any ordinary game. If I had to pay for it, that feeling would totally change. I would feel like I had to get something out of the game, since I'm still paying for it, and the fun factor I'm getting out of it just isn't worth that amount of money. The game is clearly designed to drain your time for an eternity to come, and no matter how well Blizzard have been trying to hide that fact, it always shines through in one way or another.

Strange thing is.. If I had to pay for this game (my job gives me subscriptions for free) I'm not sure I'd want to play it either. Now, when I dont have to pay for it, it feels like just any ordinary game. If I had to pay for it, that feeling would totally change. I would feel like I had to get something out of the game, since I'm still paying for it, and the fun factor I'm getting out of it just isn't worth that amount of money. The game is clearly designed to drain your time for an eternity to come, and no matter how well Blizzard have been trying to hide that fact, it always shines through in one way or another.

Seriously what you describe is the problem that all MMORPG:s have, not just WoW..

Seriously what you describe is the problem that all MMORPG:s have, not just WoW..

And as with all mmo's, you need friends to play with, or it just becomes really boring. I am having lots of fun, doing stuff with my friends, from stealth runs to hd towns, raids to questing.

I've got a lvl 23 warrior, and as a warrior I agree with having friends to group with is much more fun. But I do have fun just getting ore and fiddling with my crafting skills.

The hunter class is, as mentioned by the Big Cheese himself, a great solo class. I've got a hunter that I play with when my friends aren't online and such.

My Orc Shaman is level 37 now, and I love the class with all that's left of my once enormous gaming heart. It's gotta be the most versatile class of all.

That being said, my first free month will expire soon, and I won't be payinganymore. For the simple reason that I will be having exams soon, and if continue to play this game, I'll fail for sure.

But in a good 3 months, I am so gonna play again. I really want to take my shaman to level 60, and I wanna get a kodo mount. I'd also like to try out a gnome rogue. Or maybe a druid, although that class might be a little too similar to shaman.

I have a level 59 paladin with less than 100k xp to go for level 60. The game is dying on me, but we'll see once I reach level 60 if there's anything left after that.

• 3 weeks later...
WoW has a dead spot in the 40s that can be very difficult to overcome (lack of content options for characters level 45-50 is an issue).

My level 47 druid's quest log is full to overflowing, and there are lots of NPCs with yellow exclamation points that she's avoided due to lack of space. Glad to hear that the 50s are likely to be even more fun! :shifty:

For me the least fun part of the game was the late thirties/early forties grind for mount money. The lowering of training costs for most classes in the last patch seems to me an acknowledgement that the in-game economy is not working quite as intended. For many level forty is accompanied not by the excitement of getting their mount but by disappointment and drudgery as they suspend training and questing in favor of farming profitable monsters. Bleah!

Lady E.

Well, I've been level 60 for a couple of weeks now. The game didn't die (high level instances are still interesting) but PvP is still useless, the quests are getting fewer and fewer and the only thing that's fun for me is trying to improve my blacksmith profession and getting better equipment. The problem is that armoursmith (my profession) is severely underdeveloped and getting new equipment doesn't really change my character, it just gives me better bragging rights..

I don't think I'll be renewing my account once the three free months I got have passed.

I have a couple 'net friends who are playing it - both are the types who resist on-line gaming addictions, and both are becoming pretty addicted, if that tells you anything.

But they've only been playing a couple weeks or so, so don't know about long term. I'd guess it's certainly worth to play a month to see if you like it, assuming you like that kind of game in the first place. :p

I refuse to touch it tho - something about the Warcraft Universe that I've never liked - that and I really don't need to get addicted to a game like that. Plus, as a couple others said, MMORPG's tend to get kind of boring to me after a short while, and I prefer SP games anyway. So...I'll skip this one. o:)

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I'm still playing it as often as I can, even if I got a bit burned out playing my Warlock. Luckily my group and I will start our first Horde characters when the new PvP servers goes online in the EU. Guess I'll go for either an undead rogue, orcish hunter or a troll warrior.