My thanks to Obsidian for KOTOR2

I really did enjoy playing KOTOR2, I liked the characters and the storyline, and I really got that 'Star Wars' feeling. I liked the way you expanded on stuff from KOTOR1 like upgrading, breaking down and creating items, the whole 'influence' system, and how the game never became boring, there was always something interesting going on, always something to do.

Even though the ending was disappointing, the rest of the game was still enjoyable to play and I can understand why it won many RPG of the Year awards and high scores in magazine reviews.

This isn't a kiss ass post either, I just think its about time Obsidian were given some positive comments on these forums. I hope Fearqus and Chris read this because they have particularly come under unfair criticism. There is a troll (cough, Darth Nuke, cough) in the Storyline forum who keeps dissing Chris over some ridiculous Basilisk war droid issue, and quite frankly, Obsidian dont deserve it.

In a rare but shining example of Developer/community inter-relations, Chris Avellone, the lead developer, came on these forums to answer a post regarding the Basilisk War Droid in KOTOR2. He explained why he decided to include a new design for the Droid, and THAT IT WAS ACCEPTED BY LUCASFILM, THEREFORE CANON. The aforementioned poster proceeded to flame Chris and actually piss him off to the point that Chris stopped posting in the topic. I gave my own reply, disgusted at the whole topic:

"The Basilisk War Droid in KOTOR2 looked cool. I don't see what the fuss is about. Chris Avellone, the LEAD DEVELOPER of this game, has come onto these forums to explain himself to you, and all you have done is flame him. He was discussing an aspect of the game with fans and you pushed him away. I don't blame him if he doesn't answer more posts in the future, with people like you on these forums."

When Fearqus spoke about why Obsidian don't like replying to posts on these forums, I understood completely. Why bother trying to discuss the game with its community when you have retards slagging the game off and refusing to listen to other people's opinions?

I eagerly anticipate NWN2 and if KOTOR3 is made by Obsidian, I wouldn't mind. There's my opinion, feel free to agree or disagree with it.

Unfortunately there wasnt really anywhere you could take the game in that respect. With BG it finished at level 7 or 8 which gave you a lot of room for new things in the sequel. KOTOR finished at 20, and aside from the new force powers, there isnt much that you could do differently.

Given the tight schedule messing around with a new engine or rules set was never going to be an option. Although having said that I hope KOTOR III is "more of the same" just to tie up the series. Then a complete rewrite for a new trilogy.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

Just thought I needed to say something extra, if one of the Obsidian peeps is reading.

I wholeheartedly understand why you want to shut the forums down, given all of the '133t fanb0is' and K2 haters here. But one of the things that Bioware said they hoped you would do, is listen to the community. They said that they themselves pride themselves on their community feedback and how they take advice from the forums in making, and adding on, to their games. They said they would hope you would do the same.

Therefore I think it is a shame the forums are being closed in that respect. But overall I suppose it is for the best. *sniffs sadly*

KoTOR 2 was an awesome game even with the damaged ending. I can only imagine how much better it would be with the proper ending that already has the voice files recorded and everything. It would be a instant classic.

Don't listen to morons like Darth Nuke. I read that thread, and he makes the biggest fuss about minor crap.

I think the internals of the story are great! :lol:

I'm just a little bit confused about the big picture. :devil:

The idea that Chris wants to do a content patch is thrilling! o:))

As dark is the absence of light, so evil is the absence of good.

If you would destroy evil, do good.

Evil cannot be perfected. Thank God.

The idea that Chris wants to do a content patch is thrilling! :thumbsup:)

I'm practically quivering in my boots. Also, I sure hope Feargie, Chris and their intrepid crew do make a KotOR 3. :)

I think that should be included in our nighlty prayers.

And by the light of the moon

He prays for their beauty not doom

The idea that Chris wants to do a content patch is thrilling! :thumbsup:)

I'm practically quivering in my boots. Also, I sure hope Feargie, Chris and their intrepid crew do make a KotOR 3. :)

Feargus is posting here tonight....pretty please with sugar and a cherry on top, do the content patch Obsidian.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

The idea that Chris wants to do a content patch is thrilling! :))

Feargus is posting here tonight....pretty please with sugar and a cherry on top, do the content patch Obsidian.

And clarify that rumor about K3.

I hope it's not a case of taking one last look around before turning the lights off.

Turning their backs on my favorite post-2000 RPG series? Not possible.

Once again Obsidian great job on TSL (despite the fact you were clearly pressed for time, and man, did it show). Long live KotOR 3, 4, 5 & 6! :)

manthing2.jpg

I hope it's not a case of taking one last look around before turning the lights off.

Turning their backs on my favorite post-2000 RPG series? Not possible.

Once again Obsidian great job on TSL (despite the fact you were clearly pressed for time, and man, did it show). Long live KotOR 3, 4, 5 & 6! :)

Only 6 KOTORs??? :D

And by the light of the moon

He prays for their beauty not doom

--------

Interpret how you will :

Knights of the Old Republic is a brand-new Star Wars license, and as such, has a chance for a fresh start. Rather than keep the same characters for 4, 5, or 6 games (if it ever gets that far), we have a chance to keep shaking up the universe with every game and keep the universe from becoming stagnant

http://forums.obsidianent.com/index.php?showtopic=25989

:ph34r:

manthing2.jpg

--------

Interpret how you will :

Knights of the Old Republic is a brand-new Star Wars license, and as such, has a chance for a fresh start. Rather than keep the same characters for 4, 5, or 6 games (if it ever gets that far), we have a chance to keep shaking up the universe with every game and keep the universe from becoming stagnant

http://forums.obsidianent.com/index.php?showtopic=25989

:ph34r:

Maybe they are all ready signed on for 3,4,5,6. A man can dream can't he.

If they are doing KOTOR III you hear about it at E3.

I dont really know if they would want to do KOTOR IV,V,VI at least not right away and not one after the other.

One persons dream could be anothers nightmare:)

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

Yeah, I too enjoyed the game, despite the "wtf" ending. (and yeah, I know that's not what you planned. I got my fingers crossed for the content patch, but I won't hold my breath. I understand LucasArts holds the strings.)

Despite all the whining around here, I think a lot of folks did too. We whine cause we care! Well, maybe not the "U sux donkey ballz" idiots...

Anyway, just thought I'd post something before you turned off the forums.

Thanks.

I enjoyed KOTOR2 immensely and felt really let down, initially, by the way OE was responding to people on the forums post PC release. I don't know what transpired before but I'd like to ask OE to respectfully grow thicker skin, spend some time with their fans, and understand that we only get upset because we're so passionate about the KOTOR series.

That aside, KOTOR2 is the only game in a long while to make me physically shiver. The writing is excellent and it reminded me of the quality writing in PST. Thank you Mr. Avellone.

Kreia, was magnificent, and Sara Kestelman was perfect playing her role.

I took a three day vacation to play KOTOR2. I binged on pizza and sat in my "lab" with dark curtains up and no lights at night. I was hypnotized by the performance on my overpriced LCD display. It was an amazing experience and I really do thank all the people who were involved.

I sincerely hope OE get a chance at making the sequel to KOTOR2 and get all the resources they need to do it right. I also hope that Lucas Arts considers funding additional content for KOTOR2. I would definelty buy a "Developers' Cut" of the game.

I'd buy a 'Expansion pack' any day.... c'mon, just the 'Developer's Cut'? I am more ambitious than that.

Besides, an expansion will give K3 some additional time for development. An expansion say.... 6-9months from now and then another 9-12months after that... K3!!!! That will make sure the 'heat' never dies down. Keeps all the fans happy.... ensures maximum media coverage.... wow.... makes me wanna be working in OE right now. Mr. Avellone, you guys employing a marketing guy right now? I can go convince LucasArts about this plan if you like. o:)

I add my vote to the last two statements.

Kreia is a fantastic character. As was Jolee Bindo in Kotor1, she is just the opposite. Except her characterisation on Malachor, which was not acceptable.

I also got almost totally lost from real life, ordering pizza, pulled the telephone chord. This has never happened to me since BG2. And folks, that is big praise.

This game is worth an expansion which closes the gaps, improves some location and adds one or two new ones. BG1 and BG2 did also improve a lot with their respective expansion packs.

(IF there be an expansion, the XP progression really should be halved... I see no sense in doing Hk Factory with levels 30+ ;) )