BUG - % damage blockers don't work

I'm suprised I haven't seen anyone else mention it, but all items and feats that block a percentage of damage don't work at all!

i.e. Tougness level 2 and those items that say "immunity 10% slashing". Note that "damage resist 5/- slashing items seems to work okay"

I was wondering how a certain pathetic guy in a certain duel was doing lots of damage to me with a pathetic vibrosword, despite me having toughness 2, plus gauntlets and armour that block slashing damage!

At first I though they must simply not stack, although my armour should still be giving me 30% reduction on its own. So I looked at the combat logs.

They showed the proper drops in damage (though I didn't work out if items should stack), with 4 or 5 points being deducted from the "base damage + str mod". However, the red numbers displayed onscreen didn't include the deductions and equalled the "base damage + str mod".

Maybe this was just a display error in the 'red numbers'? But no, I checked my vitality points before and after the hit, and they matched the red numbers.

So, the combat logs show the correct damage amounts, but they aren't applied. The % damage deductions mentioned in the logs aren't actually used.

I haven't tested this for grenade, mine or force damage yet, only for melee/shooting damage.

If a dev reads this, can they make sure this is included in the patch.

A huge amount of items are broken because of this bug.

Until this bug is fixed, I urge everyone to ignore % damage reduction items (like ballistic shielding overlays) and instead favour those which remove an exact quantity of damage from each hit (Mira's jacket does this). I've wasted a lot of cash on items that don't work! :(

You know...

THIS may be why we seem to have two distinct camps that either say the game is too easy... Or the game is too hard and it very well may be BOTH because it isn't CONSISTENT due to what you have discovered.

I had my suspicions that it might be due to certain attribute, skill, feats, armor, items, weapon combos... But your post, if entirely accurate, confirms this to some degree (the % damage off items).

I too invested in in a lot of over and underlays and yet my party members still take damage whenever there are things they obviously should be immuned to at low levels.

Hmm...

it does work for energy damage...

made 2 light armor suits, one with 30% energy immunity underlay, the other with 30% energy underlay and 30% overlay

mira was test subject. I saved before going into rooms full of blaster toting robots...wore without armor, with 30% energy immunity, and with 60% energy immunity.

substantial drop in combat damage taken. substantial.

same experiments done with melee protection suits and hssiss room in korriban.

full feedback is really sucky in this game...trust imperical experiments only.

o:):devil::)o:):devil:

xbox

Yes, don't know if it works for other items but it does work for energy. I was taking a fair amount of damage in Trayas Academy until I added an underlay that gave 30% protection and a visor with another 15%, all from energy attacks.

Hmmm, that's odd.

Out of interest, did you look at the combat message logs?

Did you take the damage it said you would?

I was fighting the duel vs the mandalorian merchant. He was doing 20-ish damage per hit regardless of how much slashing damage immunity I had.

I'll have to try experimenting with some energy immunity items.

The only other thing I can think of is that I'm on hard difficulty. That could be messing up the damage, and forgetting to take off the immunity reduction.

I'll have to try it with normal difficulty, solo vs a hsssiss (I've just landed on Korriban). I'll see how long it takes one to kill me with and without ballistic underlays.

it does work for energy damage...

made 2 light armor suits, one with 30% energy immunity underlay, the other with 30% energy underlay and 30% overlay

mira was test subject.  I saved before going into rooms full of blaster toting robots...wore without armor, with 30% energy immunity, and with 60% energy immunity.

substantial drop in combat damage taken.  substantial.

same experiments done with melee protection suits and hssiss room in korriban.

full feedback is really sucky in this game...trust imperical experiments only.

:wub:  :wub:  :rolleyes:  o:)  :devil:

xbox

I could never get overlays and underlays to stack. It just took the highest one. How did you accomplish 60% immunity ? Rather handy that :D

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

You receive the bonuses but they arent shown... it is the same as the Force Speed bonuses

Isn't Force Speed broken? It only gives you either the defensive bonus or the extra attack; can't remember which one - I read it somewhere! and it seems to be true, for me at least.

No need to take my word for it, check the combat logs :-

No reason to doubt you. Plus its more of an interest thing at this point having played the game 4 times I've moved on to something else. Given the rather hectic glut of games coming soon not likely I will be playing KOTORII again this side of next year.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

You receive the bonuses but they arent shown... it is the same as the Force Speed bonuses

they're shown...

mandalorian heavy suit

30% immunity to energy

30% immunity to energy

on the suit stats screen...

the feedback doesn't really tell you energy is being immuned against...

i haven't tested melee immunity as much as i could have, but without the melee damage resistance and immunity overlay and underlay absorbs more than half melee damage from hssiss dragons...

if you think about it, immunity is better than resistance. the higher you get in level, the more damage they do per hit...so its going to be better to have immunities over resistance...

resistance absorbs a flat number like energy resistance

immunity takes a percentage...

in the later part of the game, where a lightsabre strike can do over 100 damage, immunity is going to be better, obviously. (w00t)

you can make yourself completely immune to energy :p:devil::devil::-"

considering that majority of the damage you take in this game is energy based, there is no problem.

Alot of people say the game is too easy, but they always do their uber-characters...i always experement with mine and i die constantly.

I have no idea how they say the game is too easy or something like that because it isn't too easy or too hard, but it is too short, i think alot of people will agree there.

But the % damage blockers do work for me, but then again, i only use the energy blocker ones, since i am getting hit by blasters or lightsabers most of the time. (70-80% of the time)

Any others are usually dead before they get within melee range, especially with Atton with his dual blasters and full 'precise shot' feats. hehehehe

i just wish the glows would work. (ATI specific problem)

i also wish i knew what was causing the slowdown problem. (peragus and malacor 5)

Also, if a game is too hard or too challenging, i won't like the game since to me, its meant for entertainment not getting your ass handed to you every time.