NPCs to keep with you for storyline purposes

Are there any NPCs that need to be kept with your character on a regular basis, for storyline purposes? I'm on my first run through the game and am not sure who to drop/keep when I pick up new NPCs. For example, Kreia seems kind of important - should I have her in my party all the time (bit like Bastila in KOTOR I)? I'm playing a female lightside sentinel, does this mean I don't need Visas? Or does she have a story that could prove important? I'm less concerned with "party fit" than I am with storyline fit.

Also, are there specific NPC quests per planet (eg Mission-Tattoine in KOTOR I) or can I safely mix and match without fear of missing out on an important plotline?

Any help would be welcomed. :(

well getting influence with Kreia is pretty important for the first playthrough imo .. since she will reveal alot of stroy essential stuff .. that makes the plot make more sense!

otherwise .. never got to close to Visa to let her tell me anything important, but she can teach you Force Sight if you get a high enough influence .. otherwise the ones you want to train as Jedis should be with you! since you need alot of influence with them! (if you play LS female, Diciple can be influenced to Jedi status where you meet him, so he's not so important in that regard) ..

plus some need a specific location and a specific event to trigger their Jedi initiation .. if you want I can tell you (without spoiling the game too much)

Fortune favors the bald.

If you're refering to Party NPC-specific quests, like Mission's Brother or Bastila's Mother, then no, there sre none in TSL (but it would have been nice to have them). There are subplots that relate to the specific characters you get, but they are not side-quests per se, you get them no matter what if you have them in your party.

There are some cool conversation bits like in the first KOTOR, that depend on who you have in your traveling party.

Some NPCs will say certain things in certain situations. Bao Dur is quite talkative on Dxun something which I didnt see until I had played my fourth game.

There are events which occur which NPCs will react too , if they are in your party.

You wont miss out on anything important. But you might miss out on the odd inter party banter but short of reading a walkthrough thats inevitable.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

Try doing a search for the influence guide. And there is a lot of tricky bits to having the 'right' people in your party. Certain influence points for certain characters can be lost due to the other members of your party. The disciple killed all of my Bao-dur inluence markers in my last playthrough. When in doubt, save before talking and try loading different party members into the mix.

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Jaguars4ever is still alive.  No word of a lie.

plus some need a specific location and a specific event to trigger their Jedi initiation .. if you want I can tell you (without spoiling the game too much)

A nudge in the right direction would certainly help. :)

Kreia is a must for the first playthrough, because she is an integral part of the story, and let's say that if KOTOR 2 was a movie, she'd win "best supporting actress". So I 'd advise to keep her along, not mentioning her 'mentor' ability that increaces XP earned.

From the rest I would keep Handmaiden or Visas in the party, but none of them are as important to the storyline as Kreia.

A nudge in the right direction would certainly help. :)

*minor spoiler*

where Kreia, on Nar Shadda, tells you to 'listen' to the force .. take Mira there..

and take Atton to the refugee place (where the Exchange is keeping all the people) and walk around with him until something happens ..

if you have enough influence that will trigger their Jedi dialouge .. don't know about Bao-Dur since I never trained him .. and Diciple is simply getting enough influence, which is extremely easy if you are LS! Handmaiden is all about acting good and then fighting with her, and winning, in the end you get enough influence to train her as well..

Fortune favors the bald.

Bao Dur I converted in ...slight spoiler...

Nar Shadda at the refugee sector and the broken airspeeder. Atton also gains influence at this point as well if he's in your party.

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Jaguars4ever is still alive.  No word of a lie.

Well, Visas you can pretty much leave on the ship. Talking to her in the dormitory on the Ebon Hawk will net you all the influence you need pretty much & she doesn't have all that much to contribute story-wise really (aside from the confrontation with you-know-who during the latter stages of the game).

Are there any NPCs that need to be kept with your character on a regular basis, for storyline purposes? I'm on my first run through the game and am not sure who to drop/keep when I pick up new NPCs.

As strange as this sounds, I suggest you DON'T keep in mind who to keep with you. In my first game I just played the "cold", without any specific knowledge at all - I just did it what I would do in KotOR 1. Only deliberately try to explore all plots after the first game, like what I did with KotOR.

Reason why I suggest this is because you will want to experience all the bad things in the game first - bugs, the storylines in general, things like that.

Hmm, I guess I'm not being very clear....

sigpic0yb.jpg

Pure Pazaak - The Stand-alone Multiplayer Pazaak Game (link to Obsidian board thread)

Pure Pazaak website (big thank you to fingolfin)