Suikoden IV

I like this Suikoden a lot more than the last. I think it has much more of a, well, 'Suikoden' feel to it. (Maybe I just hate that damn Trinity system.) My biggest complaints are that it takes too long to sail anywhere and Deborah is a bit too obtuse.

Darque-

Off the top of my head I remember that the battle system incorporates a dial called the "Judgement Ring".

915253_20040219_embed006.jpg

Basically the needle spins clockwise and you try to stop it in the appropriate area. Perhaps jaguars4ever means something else though? It's been a long time since I played Shadow Hearts.

Also: Oerwinde, your sig... it's so wonderful...

I like this Suikoden a lot more than the last. I think it has much more of a, well, 'Suikoden' feel to it. (Maybe I just hate that damn Trinity system.) My biggest complaints are that it takes too long to sail anywhere and Deborah is a bit too obtuse.

You wouldnt be the first one to hate the trinity system.

ShadowHearts isnt that hard to get to grips with. Cant play it at 3am though.

I've also found a variety of items which modify the ring and the speed the needle moves at. Plus you can upgrade it, overall I think its easier than Gladius to get the hang of.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

You wouldnt be the first one to hate the trinity system.

ShadowHearts isnt that hard to get to grips with. Cant play it at 3am though.

I've also found a variety of items which modify the ring and the speed the needle moves at. Plus you can upgrade it, overall I think its easier than Gladius to get the hang of.

I didn't hate the trinity system, I think it served the story very well, but I agree that it lacked the Suikoden feel. Though all in all it was a far superior game to Suikoden 1.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Well first of all After playing Suikoden 1, the story just blows you away.

That's like saying that a game's story is good just because it's better than, say, Pacman's story. Suikoden 1 was absolutely dreadful.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

..the battle system incorporates a dial called the "Judgement Ring".

Basically the needle spins clockwise and you try to stop it in the appropriate area. Perhaps jaguars4ever means something else though?

Nope. That's the one Nart. :thumbsup:

Personally, I could never properly time the hand that sweeps around to disc thingy to match up with the line through the coloured pie slice thingies. :wub:

manthing2.jpg

Well first of all After playing Suikoden 1, the story just blows you away.

That's like saying that a game's story is good just because it's better than, say, Pacman's story. Suikoden 1 was absolutely dreadful.

Hehehe, touche. Though I think it was more due to bad localization rather than it actually being a bad story. It was better than Legend of Dragoon... God that game sucked so bad, I couldn't even make it to the 2nd disc.

The best thing about Suikoden 2's story is that the bad guy isn't a bad guy.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Hehehe, touche. Though I think it was more due to bad localization rather than it actually being a bad story. It was better than Legend of Dragoon... God that game sucked so bad, I couldn't even make it to the 2nd disc.

Neither is numbers 1's really. Not that many bad guys in JRPGs , most just seem to have a higher purpose that would end up killing a lot of people.

IV's bad guy is pretty dispicable though.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

Neither is numbers 1's really. Not that many bad guys in JRPGs , most just seem to have a higher purpose that would end up killing a lot of people.

IV's bad guy is pretty dispicable though.

The bad guy in 1 isn't really the bad guy, the chick manipulating him is. The bad guy of 3 is just plain ****ed up, and when you look at the FFs the villains are all pretty evil. Especially Ultimecia. Wanting to destroy all creation for no reason. Well, no reason that was revealed, since you don't meet her until you fight her, there isn't really any time to explain. God that was such a bad villain. The people who wrote that game should never work in RPGs again.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Ultimecia was not that impotant in the story, it was Squall/Riona relation.

I think Ultimecia wanted to compress time so she would never die, that is what I understand when Ultimecia passes her powers to Cid wife (forgot her name) in the end and vanishes.

drakron.png

You have to say though, that Lucas Blight was one bad mother****er.

He is the most evil character in any game I've seen I think.

Ultimecia was not that impotant in the story, it was Squall/Riona relation.

I think Ultimecia wanted to compress time so she would never die, that is what I understand when Ultimecia passes her powers to Cid wife (forgot her name) in the end and vanishes.

I just really hated the whole FF8 story. The whole "Oh every character in the game used to be in the same orphanage, we just forgot" thing was freaking stupid, and the villain seriously needed to interact with you before you fought her. Ultimecia is just the worst villain I've ever seen in a game.

Devastatorsig.jpg

I just really hated the whole FF8 story. The whole "Oh every character in the game used to be in the same orphanage, we just forgot" thing was freaking stupid, and the villain seriously needed to interact with you before you fought her. Ultimecia is just the worst villain I've ever seen in a game.

Not all, the sniper remenbered.

Also it was explained that it was caused by GF junction.

Besides it was done so Edea looked to be the main enemy even if the game hints that Edea part is not what it seens.

It come all together in the end ... do you realize who Squall parents are?

drakron.png

Not all, the sniper remenbered.

Also it was explained that it was caused by GF junction.

Besides it was done so Edea looked to be the main enemy even if the game hints that Edea part is not what it seens.

It come all together in the end ... do you realize who Squall parents are?

Yeah, Laguna is his dad. It may all come together, but that doesn't make it good.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Just a quick update on ShadowHearts II.

The combat system is changed. Now rather than just one ring you have a choice between 3 or 4 of them. You can even use auto ring which removes the reflex element completely. You can also adjust the number of attacks which take place along the ring.

My first boss combat in the game was hillarious(teach me to start a new game this late at night). It went something like this.

Party executes a few combos and it's all looking rosey. Gargoyle is down to weak status. Then oops forgot to pay attention to the sanity meter. Party member 1 takes large cunks out of party member 2 and party member 2 thinks it would be a good idea to heal the gargolye..

Once you lose control of all of them , not much you can do , so they proceeded to beat each other silly , while the Gargoyle presumably soiled itself laughing....

Graphics are much improved anyway. And the whole thing is voiced (so no renaming of characters like in the first one).

And WOW what a FANTASTIC intro :-

478327[/snapback]