What happened to realism? Not a complaint though

Don't get me wrong, I love Kotor 1,2 and all them, but what if they made a game w/ more realistic damage? I mean, it makes sense in RPG's and such, but seriously, in real life, would a lightsaber only drop someone's health a few points? Eh, maybe, but probably not. I actually appreciated in Kotor 2 that a lightsaber could punch through a door in one blow. But yeah, it'd be kind of cool to have a game that relied more on skill w/ a saber. It was just something I was thinking about. Probably from playing Ghost Recon, great fun.

Don't get me wrong, I love Kotor 1,2 and all them, but what if they made a game w/ more realistic damage?  I mean, it makes sense in RPG's and such, but seriously, in real life, would a lightsaber only drop someone's health a few points?  Eh, maybe, but probably not.  I actually appreciated in Kotor 2 that a lightsaber could punch through a door in one blow.  But yeah, it'd be kind of cool to have a game that relied more on skill w/ a saber.  It was just something I was thinking about.  Probably from playing Ghost Recon, great fun.

Hmm... well, in Jedi Academy you can lop off limbs and kill people much faster, but then that game sorta sucks.... :blink:"

The usual justification for game systems that give you lots of extra hit points at each level up is that those hit points actually represent character's stamina and skill to perform last minute dodges on attacks that would have otherwise hit the character. Personally I prefer more realistic systems that don't have this problem to begin with.

SODOFF Steam group.

Well, I don't know about you, but I could drop most enemies in two saber swipes, so... yeah.

Anyway, insta-fragging lightsabers don't work from a RPG mechanics standpoint. In the d20 ruleset it's different and a direct saber (or any other weapon by that matter) hit can actually kill you rather easily since there's a distinction between your actual health and, as somebody pointed before, your expertise to avoid grievous harm.

It's one of the things that don't quite work as well as it should due to the changes implemented in the ruleset to adapt it for a console/PC game.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

In a lot of animations (most especially in kotor1) the PC/enemy will appear to parry a blow that scores as a hit, so the stamina argument seems to hold quite a bit of salt.

Indeed, I also found this. Of course, in the pen'n'paper version this is made more obvious with the use of hit points/wound points - losing hit points, of which you can have hundreds, doesn't affect the character in any way, but losing wound points, of which there are very few, does affect the character, drastically lowering stats or rendering them unconscious. A critical hit goes straight to wound points. Any other hit, which depletes hit points, is considered to have been a 'close call'.

then why do characters hold their sides and look totally beaten when they fall to far down in hit points .. and why does HK-47 remark on your wonderous ability to recover from horrendous wounds in no-time!

in theory I know how it works, but the game seem to imply that you are being struck by the weapon! (also in many cases you do strike the enemy when they recieve damage)

Fortune favors the bald.

then why do characters hold their sides and look totally beaten when they fall to far down in hit points .. and why does HK-47 remark on your wonderous ability to recover from horrendous wounds in no-time!

in theory I know how it works, but the game seem to imply that you are being struck by the weapon! (also in many cases you do strike the enemy when they recieve damage)

Because in the game you are actually hit. If not, it doesn't make sense you would use medpacks and repair kits to fix wounds. :thumbsup:

The whole hit point/wound point system was overlooked for simplicity's sake, I guess, for KotOR.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

okay I thought you meant that hit-points were, as you said, your expertise to avoid harm!

they do have some rather effective medpacks in the SW universe! hehe I mean being able to patch a guy together after over 300+ lightsaber hits .. you would think that everyone in the party would look like Sion when it was all over..

Fortune favors the bald.

okay I thought you meant that hit-points were, as you said, your expertise to avoid harm!

They are. But only in the d20 ruleset, where your actual physical health is represented by your wound points whose value is equal to your CON score.

They are. But only in the d20 ruleset, where your actual physical health is represented by your wound points whose value is equal to your CON score.

we are going 'round in circles here .. I meant I thought you said it was like this in KOTOR .. I know the D20 system! so no worry .. :thumbsup:

me no oponen a los pantalones que usan

Fortune favors the bald.

Don't get me wrong, I love Kotor 1,2 and all them, but what if they made a game w/ more realistic damage?  I mean, it makes sense in RPG's and such, but seriously, in real life, would a lightsaber only drop someone's health a few points?

LOL, you're so funny. A small amount of damage seems pretty realistic, since the hilt could probably be used as a short club or cosh, like the flash light in Doom. Depending on how the 'blade' is constructed (e.g. semi-flexible translucent plastic tube) it might also be possible to use the light sabre like a cane, and it should be pretty effective - at least psychologically - if applied to the naked behind or feet of the opponent. :D

It's so familiar to the RPG genre at this point, that is just kind of feels right.  It would be strange, for it to be otherwise, I think.

There is an "Instant Death" sabers mod on PCGamemods that changes all the sabers to one-hit kills.

It is interesting that the person who made this is probably looking at it from an third-person, action game perspective versus those who look at KOTOR as an RPG with D20 rules.