Restoring Cut Ending Content -- Working Together

Content was cut from KotOR II: TSL. Alot of people flamed Obsidian, putting them on the diffensive, understandably enough, and things have gome downhill from there. The forums are possibly going to be closed.

A more constructive solution would be better for all parties, in my opinion, because this sort of acrimonous interaction solves nothing. Obsidian will still be flamed, and the cut ending content will remain only so many sound files, and the community will remain unsatisfied. What I call for is a cesation of hostilities, and both parties working together to help restore this content. What's done is done -- it's water under the bridge. Material was cut, and whoever is responsible, it happened. Obsidian is a small company, and doesn't have the time or money to implement it. It's understandable, if the result is undesirable to all parties involved.

There is an untapped resource, in the form of the modding community, that, in collaberation with Obsidian, could concievably restore this content, which I imagine both Obsidian and the community would love, with a significantly reduced, if not nearly eliminated, investment of time and probably no direct investment of money on the part of Obisidan. The mod team, which several individuals are already attempting to put together, and if successful will undoubtably proceed with or without official sanction, would recieve assistance both in the storyline, scripting, and possibly software tools.

If Obsidian and the community work together, everyone wins. Obsidian gains more acceptance with their fans, and has content they origionally planned to implement restored. The community recieves an improved game and a more satisfying experiance. All parites have much to gain by working together to restore the cut ending content, and nothing to lose.

Content was cut from KotOR II: TSL. Alot of people flamed Obsidian, putting them on the diffensive, understandably enough, and things have gome downhill from there. The forums are possibly going to be closed.

A more constructive solution would be better for all parties, in my opinion, because this sort of acrimonous interaction solves nothing. Obsidian will still be flamed, and the cut ending content will remain only so many sound files, and the community will remain unsatisfied. What I call for is a cesation of hostilities, and both parties working together to help restore this content. What's done is done -- it's water under the bridge. Material was cut, and whoever is responsible, it happened. Obsidian is a small company, and doesn't have the time or money to implement it. It's understandable, if the result is undesirable to all parties involved.

There is an untapped resource, in the form of the modding community, that, in collaberation with Obsidian, could concievably restore this content, which I imagine both Obsidian and the community would love, with a significantly reduced, if not nearly eliminated, investment of time and probably no direct investment of money on the part of Obisidan. The mod team, which several individuals are already attempting to put together, and if successful will undoubtably proceed with or without official sanction, would recieve assistance both in the storyline, scripting, and possibly software tools.

If Obsidian and the community work together, everyone wins. Obsidian gains more acceptance with their fans, and has content they origionally planned to implement restored. The community recieves an improved game and a more satisfying experiance. All parites have much to gain by working together to restore the cut ending content, and nothing to lose.

I agree, but once restored make an XBOX version also o:)

There is nothing there for you Jedi, only weakness surrounds the Jedi Order, just Give in

Why have people complained about the ending? It's perfect the way it is. It is meant to be that way. If you don't get it, then maybe you should think harder about everything in the game.

It doesn't need to be modified at all. Obsidian has plenty of resources and money. If there was going to be something else, they would have done it. Just let it be.

Again, big ol' Lucasarts is the one to contend with here. From what people have been posting, Obsidian does seem regretful about the situation and could perhaps possibly support our efforts, but without a green light from LA, I think they're pretty much prevented from doing anything even if they wanted to, and they can't do it on their own, due to financial and probably legal issues with LA.

I'm of the mindset that (even if they don't admit it) they left the material that we found in there purposefully, so that we could understand what they had to give up to meet LA's ludicrous holiday deadline. If they had really wanted to, they would've taken out all those extraneous folders and this probably would've never come up. But they didn't, and I have the feeling they cared enough about what they had to lose to slip it in where a couple detectives could sniff it out. I think what we need to do is focus our efforts on convincing LA to be ok with all this, and then stuff might fall into place easier. I imagine Obsidian's hands are probably tied at the moment concerning all this.

... and perhaps if someone at Obsidian could also suggest this to Lucasarts, that might help strengthen our chances as well..?

Why have people complained about the ending? It's perfect the way it is. It is meant to be that way. If you don't get it, then maybe you should think harder about everything in the game.

It doesn't need to be modified at all. Obsidian has plenty of resources and money. If there was going to be something else, they would have done it. Just let it be.

Well no matter how 'perfect' the current ending is, there is still quite a large piece that was cut out .. and wouldn't it be interesting, even if you like the current, to see that ending? the ending which Obsidian originally intended..

I like how they finished the game, but there is still alot of plotholes, which this mod could 'fix' .. So I'm for it! and will help if I can .. but I can't mod or program, so ..

Fortune favors the bald.

No.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

I understand your point about putting another version together that

answers the questions that some people have voiced on the forums and

articles about the game. I wish I could say that we plan to do that and

that we will be able to go back and fill in the story where people felt

it fell flat. Unforunately, we are still a new business and we just

don't have the money to do it. Plus, I don't think that it's currently

a priority with LucasArts. Like with most games, they are onto their

next priority and our producer at LucasArts is working 60 hours a week

on another game already.

What I can tell you is that we learned a lot about making games as a

smaller developer with KotOR2 and are going to use that knowledge on our

future games. We already included our own QA team in with the budget of

NWN2 and if we get to do KotOR3 then we will do the same there.

For what its worth I do apoligize for the disappointment that you have

over the game,

Feargus Urquhart

CEO

Obsidian Entertainment, Inc.

It's good to see people interested in this, but what I'm talking about is official Obsidian support. They obviously have software tools and a greater understanding of the game and the cut content than anyone else. I hope an Obsidian official will respond; a mod will probably be made, with or without Obsidian's help, but their assistance will have several benefits for both sides.

Where do some people get all this mystical information? Who says "this is not the way it was intended" ? Just how do you know that? Where are your facts and proof of this "cut ending"?

IT WAS INTENDED TO BE DONE HOW IT IS! Not everything needs to be as climactic as the first game, or Return of the Jedi. Do some people really need to see a celebration with pictures of all your pretty characters dancing around? Will that give you closure?

Grow up folks, and stop bashing Obsidian for this. They made an excellent game. Leave it alone.

Where do some people get all this mystical information? Who says "this is not the way it was intended" ? Just how do you know that? Where are your facts and proof of this "cut ending"?

IT WAS INTENDED TO BE DONE HOW IT IS! Not everything needs to be as climactic as the first game, or Return of the Jedi. Do some people really need to see a celebration with pictures of all your pretty characters dancing around? Will that give you closure?

Grow up folks, and stop bashing Obsidian for this. They made an excellent game. Leave it alone.

How long have you been at this forum? I have only been here a week or so and I already know there is a lot of stuff cut from the ending and other places that for some reason were left on the game CDs. Sound files and scripts that give a lot more explanation about what really happens. The facts and proof is on your very own cd.

Read this thread http://forums.obsidianent.com/index.php?showtopic=31165 for instance.

Did you read what was posted? Its an idea to create a better ending where did you see and Obsidian bashing?

Offcource you are entitled to your own opinion about the ending and find it good and think its intended that way, a large group on this forum however is not really statisfied in how the game contineud after the jedi meeting on Dantooine

After finding some hidden pieces of info (wich you can find in other threads) we (or atleast myself) think thats a shame those pieces where not put in the game whatever the reason may have been for that,.

IMHO it would have made a good game GREAT

" So... let me get this straight. You want to fly on a magic carpet to see the King of the Potato People and plead with him for your freedom, and you're telling me you're completely sane? "

- Rimmer, Quarantine

Perhaps it's you who should grow up and read some instead of attacking people based on your totally clueless opinion. There is a lot of cut content for which the voiceovers were done, and the dialog files written. Even OE sent a request to LA to make a content patch but so far no luck. So yes, I'd say things weren't supposed to be as they are now in the game. Those are our "facts".

And please don't waste my time with PMs. I have no desire to indulge prepubescent children with private discussions. I have wasted too much time with you already.

Bottom line is, get a clue.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Uh, meant to be? I don't think so, because what we have right now is clearly NOT the ending that was meant to be. After an enjoyable two-thirds of the game, the ending just felt so wrong. Indeed, the final act completely fell apart & left me with numerous questions, which subsequently led me to visit the forums once again and read the missing content thread (wherein I found the answers I was looking for at least).

Personally, I can't believe that OE actually meant to leave us hanging with the currently bewildering final act and its accompanying truncated (and equally bewildering) ending. If you've read Chris Avellone's post about the bug patch, he mentioned that they've tried talking to LA about getting a content patch done, which would seem to indicate that even they don't think it's perfect the way it is. At any rate, I think it's safe to say that most of our collective discontent/anger has been directed more at LA than OE for what happened. OE just suffered the misfortune of getting caught in the middle.