graphics in general

Does a RPG have to be graphically stunning?  

58 members have voted

1. 1. Does a RPG have to be graphically stunning?

• Yes, good graphics shouldn't be baned form RPGs
    • No, it is not a FPS
    • Nothing special, just not crap

I am just interensted in the opinions people have on this topic. The question is not Kotor specific but more open to all games.

I myself think that a RPG should have graphics that are stunning and leave you in aww.  :ph34r:

plot and characters are the first thing for me

IMO a rpg, or better an adventure with some rpg elements, is basically a story like a book or a movie...

if i really like just graphic then a movie is better than the most stunning graphic eheh :thumbsup:

also i will not say that graphic is totally ininfluental, as is the sound, they can both add athmosphere and improve the gaming experience.

also i don't really think that a bad graphic can really ruin a game with fantastic plot and gameplay, there are many examples with games with average graphic and great concept that become masterpiece.

so imo a good graphic is nice, but not essential for this kind of game.

It's what there is of the graphics that's often the problem. The 3D game worlds in RPG's just aren't big enough. Just look at a game like Fable - what there is of the grpahics is beutiful - but 3 TOWNS WITH LITERALLY A HANDFULL OF LINEAR PATHS BETWEEN THEM. That's it, that's the whole game 'world'.

Often you'll get developers defending it saying the consoles don't have enough memory etc blah blah. this is bs, just look at the GTA games (okay with some loss of texture quality). There's no reason why rpgs cant be broken into large open GTA size areas to explore with load screens between them, none at all. Summoner on PS2 had it, even Zelda on the N64 had it. They are just too lazy to programme for a decent draw distance.

While KOTOR is soemwhat better thatn Fable in this ragard, the environments are hardlly open to much exploration. I'm just so sick of the 'look but dont touch' game designs that leave you wanting more.

It's what there is of the graphics that's often the problem.  The 3D game worlds in RPG's just aren't big enough.  Just look at a game like Fable - what there is of the grpahics is beutiful - but 3 TOWNS WITH LITERALLY A HANDFULL OF LINEAR PATHS BETWEEN THEM.  That's it, that's the whole game 'world'.

Often you'll get developers defending it saying the consoles don't have enough memory etc blah blah. this is bs, just look at the GTA games (okay with some loss of texture quality).  There's no reason why rpgs cant be broken into large open GTA size areas to explore with load screens between them, none at all.  Summoner on PS2 had it, even Zelda on the N64 had it.    They are just too lazy to programme for a decent draw distance.

While KOTOR is soemwhat better thatn Fable in this ragard, the environments are hardlly open to much exploration.  I'm just so sick of the 'look but dont touch' game designs that leave you wanting more.

Funny you mention fable its the only other RPG I like.

There is nothing there for you Jedi, only weakness surrounds the Jedi Order, just Give in

hmm.. biggest game world i can think of in a PC RPG would be morrowind? literally can fly over the mountains once u get the levitation spell hahah.

gothic 2 has a nice touch where all the pple in the city has a daily routine. they go back to their houses to sleep, the merchants wake up and go to their stalls, at nightfall they go to a tavern and have a drink.

anyway i guess good graphics is always a plus point but dun have to be stunning. as long as it gets the job done, i'm fine with it. plot and gameplay mechanics are more impt IMHO.

well, i picked graphics, but i think gameplay on a RPG is far more important then graphics.

That is why i play Master of Orion II more then Imperium Galactica 2.....Orion 2 has much more better gameplay. :lol:

But i do hope that Kotor III has some modern graphics...so far, hardly any games have come out requiring decent hardware..

The latest i know of was Half Life 2 and Doom III....correct me if i am wrong.

I thought I already responded to this thread, oh well. I think I voted wrong.

I'm spoiled by games such as Morrowind. What can I say. But I still enjoy games such as Neverwinter Nights and KOTOR 1 and 2. Those graphics are sufficient for an RPG. But even though I still enjoy playing Baldur's Gate 2 occasionally, I do not think those would be acceptable graphics for a modern RPG.

My ideal would be the graphics and environment interaction of morrowind, and the mod capability of NWN, the combat of NWN, and the dialogue and story of KOTOR 1 and 2.

Graphics aren't always important. They're important to Doom 3 because they're much of what makes it scary; they're sort of important to Morrowind because the whole point of that game is to become immersed into the world (though it would have worked OK with less system-crushing eye candy, perhaps, I had to buy a new PC for that game... TWICE! >_< )

I'd make a comment here about Far Cry if I'd actually managed to get more than a quarter of an hour into it, but I didn't. I'm too feeble. And too unforgiving of games that get you sniped by someone invisible every time you look round a corner. :)

In a story-driven game the Big Thing is of course the story and so the graphics really don't matter so much, though the occasional moment of grandiosity is good. It was a shame the Valley of the Dark Lords wasn't bigger, though the statues in the sunset kind of made up for it. To name a couple of examples, the Unknown World in KOTOR1, and the tomb of Freedon Nadd, were really good. In a world-building sense more than a graphics sense, I really liked Peragus, because the different "levels" actually fitted together and made some kind of sense, making it feel much more real.

The ultimate game that doesn't need graphics (discounting text adventures because I've never gotten into one) is Stars!, which is the turn based space strategy game (Master of Orion 2? Pfaugh! :wub: ) and has a simple, flat Windows based UI with a few small (though nice) icons representing ships, defenses, etc, and pretty much nothing else :huh:

Personally, I prefer loads of content and a deep story with complex characters and don't give a hoot whether it's 2D/3D or what (still love Fallout series/BG series), but I think that having high-end graphics is a must for drawing in those who aren't RPG fans and may be a more casual gamers or FPS players (which is why I voted for graphics). As a RPG fan, I was happy enough with the current engine except for some of the cinematics, which really did look pretty low-res... I mean, even I've got my limits, hehe. If you've seen screen shots for Oblivion, Bethesda might pull it off and combine the best of both worlds, pretty pictures + deep RPG action <crosses fingers & hopes for the best>. At any rate, I just hope KoTOR 3 will run on my machine whenever it comes out (and darn it, I want to know what happened to Jolee! :blink:).

I am just interensted in the opinions people have on this topic. The question is not Kotor specific but more open to all games.

I myself think that a RPG should have graphics that are stunning and leave you in aww.  :ph34r:

*sigh*

Is this poll meant to be "THAT" ignorant... or are you being genuinly serious and merely laughing at all the people that vote? :blink:

I wish there was a way to describe why RPG's / CRPG's do not have the same graphical "wow" as modern FPS's... But if you dont know, then i would be wasting my time, and if you do know, then there is no need for an explanation :)

Personally, I prefer loads of content and a deep story with complex characters and don't give a hoot whether it's 2D/3D or what (still love Fallout series/BG series), but I think that having high-end graphics is a must for drawing in those who aren't RPG fans and may be a more casual gamers or FPS players (which is why I voted for graphics). As a RPG fan, I was happy enough with the current engine except for some of the cinematics, which really did look pretty low-res... I mean, even I've got my limits, hehe. If you've seen screen shots for Oblivion, Bethesda might pull it off and combine the best of both worlds, pretty pictures + deep RPG action <crosses fingers & hopes for the best>. At any rate, I just hope KoTOR 3 will run on my machine whenever it comes out (and darn it, I want to know what happened to Jolee! :blink:).

Jolee has a complete backstory mate, google on it, find a reliable source and you will have all the story you need :)

The ultimate game that doesn't need graphics (discounting text adventures because I've never gotten into one) is Stars!, which is the turn based space strategy game (Master of Orion 2?  Pfaugh!  :blink: ) and has a simple, flat Windows based UI with a few small (though nice) icons representing ships, defenses, etc, and pretty much nothing else :)

Is Stars! any more balanced these days? The IS flying-orgy strategy just struck me as too powerful.

1 Gameplay (tho a story might be great terrible gameplay will stop me from enjoying it)

2 Story Story Story

3 As bug free a spossible

4 Graphics

" So... let me get this straight. You want to fly on a magic carpet to see the King of the Potato People and plead with him for your freedom, and you're telling me you're completely sane? "

- Rimmer, Quarantine

The ultimate game that doesn't need graphics (discounting text adventures because I've never gotten into one) is Stars!, which is the turn based space strategy game (Master of Orion 2?  Pfaugh!  ;) ) and has a simple, flat Windows based UI with a few small (though nice) icons representing ships, defenses, etc, and pretty much nothing else :p

Is Stars! any more balanced these days? The IS flying-orgy strategy just struck me as too powerful.

It's kind of defunct, unfortunately. :thumbsup:

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Bloodlines. Not only is it a great rpg with awesome characters but the graphics are incredible. I still remember the first time I talked to Jeanette in the nightclub. Not only does she look amazing but I have never before seen a voice match the lip synch of the character so perfectly. Troika really did a great job on Bloodlines, it a damn shame to see them go.

Bloodlines is an example of what happens when you develop a game for pc's, not for underpowered low res consoles. Unfortunately, that is also what contributed to Troika's demise. If they had released an x-box version of Bloodlines maybe they would have made enough money to stay in business. If you have not tried Bloodlines yet and you love a good rpg then I suggest you do.

Sorry for the triple post. I think the forum doesn't like me very much.

Allow me to expand on my origional point. A good rpg has good dialog, game play, and character interaction. However, a great one expands upon these core concepts and goes even deeper in to the world untill it reaches the point in which you feel as if you are in and a part of the world. A picture is worth a thousand words and an image can last for ever. And sometimes art needs to imitate life. And that is why I believe a rpg can do a better job of telling a story and achieveing that deepness that we all look for in rpgs with better graphics. o:)

Also, I am not ignorant; I do understand why rps don't have the same graphical "wow" as a modern fps. After all, that is just my opinion.

I should mention that I still play Fallout 1 and 2 and even with the bad by today's standards graphics I still love them. I think Fallout 1 set the standard for high quality voice acting which is nice to see continued in todays rpg's. As long as a game is fun and engrossing to me graphics certainly don't take first place, although it is nice to have a pretty picture to look at as well. The 256 color low res graphics in Fallout certainly did not hurt my enjoyment of that game.

One thing that really made Fallout one of the greatest rpg's of all time to me was the outstanding user manual that came with the game. It's the type of documentation that we simply don't see anymore, a manual designed to enhance the buyers experience with the game. I loved the falloutboy illustrations and the 8 page description of the effects of a nuclear blast at the start of the manual. It's a damn shame penny pinching publishers refuse to allow games to come with good documention these days.

vote no, its an FPS

id prefer better story an gameplay over graphics

i love the graphics of the infinity engine that powered BG,BG2 an others

Fallout 1 an 2 have top graphics

its simple an it works

Story and the feeling of an adventure are more important in RPGs.

The graphics should be good, but I don't think it is required from them to be the best.

And by the light of the moon

He prays for their beauty not doom

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Bloodlines. Not only is it a great rpg with awesome characters but the graphics are incredible. I still remember the first time I talked to Jeanette in the nightclub. Not only does she look amazing but I have never before seen a voice match the lip synch of the character so perfectly. Troika really did a great job on Bloodlines, it a damn shame to see them go.

Bloodlines is an example of what happens when you develop a game for pc's, not for underpowered low res consoles. Unfortunately, that is also what contributed to Troika's demise. If they had released an x-box version of Bloodlines maybe they would have made enough money to stay in business. If you have not tried Bloodlines yet and you love a good rpg then I suggest you do.

You know, I played and loved Bloodlines, I really did...

But despite having a top-range graphics card and half a gig of RAM, Bloodlines ran horribly. Really, really horribly. I had to play it on my boyfriend's computer or just persevere on mine and ignore the frame rate. It was an incredibly buggy game, and required you to 'cheat' to actually get past one level. I wouldn't have been able to play it at all had I not received the graphics card for Christmas.

Now, KotOR2 runs extremely smoothly on my computer. And overall, it's easier on the eyes. I find KotOR2's graphics perfectly serviceable and they still manage to convey a good sense of atmosphere. I'm pretty poor at the moment and although I'd love to buy another half gig of RAM I think I'm going to have to wait for my birthday.

So in conclusion, I'd rather see more people able to play a game with mid-range graphics.