See Feargus' Announcement?

Hmm.  Well, I hope the forums don't close... but there really is an irony to having someone call the Prez of Obsidian a "crybaby" one minute only to get huffily defensive when someone else calls the fans "bitchy."

Personally, I'd say calling Obsidian folks names is being pretty bitchy.  But hey, what do I know?  :D

Anyway I doubt they are considering such a move just because of the usual cadre of "the game sux, the developer sux" imbeciles that always buzz around newly-released games.  If it's something they need to do, then I will sadly go away and continue to wish them well.

Calling sombody name, rather the term cry baby coud even be consider as an insult in this matter, and being bitchy, which might mean being very demanding from the developer on these fourm, are two different things in my view.

But hey, I am no expert in english or communication, what do I know? :D

There are some users who are very good about using the "report to moderator" option, but there are also users who feel they will get a better response by going straight to Feargus. Unfortunately this doesn't work well. He has more than enough work without posters pestering him.

So I should send feargus email about not closing down these forums? I

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

Well considering NWN2 forums are online at Bioware, and Lucas Arts also has a forum for kotor2. So why does Obsidian need a forum? Just have their employees make replies to those forums. The one exception would be if Obsidian had a new game they were working on where they would need their own forums. This is a subtle hint to me that their next title is indeed kotor3 or another Bioware project. So they could use those forums again for their upcoming games.

I

Life is like a clam. Years of filtering crap then some bastard cracks you open and scrapes you into its damned mouth, end of story.

- Steven Erikson

I don't why people feel the need to ahrass the Big man on Campus personally. Seriosuly, don't they think he has more important matters to attend to? Afterall, he is running Obsidian and he has to appease the Masters tm.; nbot respond to the spammers.

I say, just post on the baords; and if you post something he deems worthy enough to reply to; good for you. if not deal with it. Geez..

The Doctors a la BIo do not spend their time spamming the BIO boards, and I seriously doubt they make a habit of reply to any emails from dinky fans.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

These boards as well as being entertaining and often informative, promote the Obsidian cause, generate ideas and provide feedback. The trolls and maniacs, though tedious and repetitive, are no worse than many other places and will never be eliminated as long as there is a world wide web of idiocy.

I post seldom but lurk much, and fervently hope some way can be found to keep the ship afloat--i for one see no need to have personal interaction with the Big Cheese on every topic that irks my little brain...and having seen POOR moderation at its zenith on other boards, feel that the moderators here are both tolerant and extremely competent at controlling those who can't control themselves.

Whatever happens, thanks to all at Obsidian who have listened to the rational amongst us plead our cases for the games we wish we had.

2. Troika never had a forum and never paid much attention to their fan base and look where they are now.

Correlation, causation, etc.

OK - maybe the closing of the BIS boards would be a better correlation (although BIS was pretty much down the gurgler by then anyway - I left the boards the day FO3 got canned as there was nothing left for me there).

The point is boards can help develop loyal customers. Yes sometimes they will use it to voice disappointments, and some idiots will tend to be overally abusive, but nothing will sour a fanbase more than not having an outlet to voice their concerns/praise and generally hang out (except maybe giving them a forum and *then* taking it away!)

The problem is that some posters fail to understand that posting here is a privilege, not a god-given right. There is a right way to voice your disatisfaction -flame wars and PMing developers is not the way to go about it...although as always I imagine it's a vocal minority causing the problem - I doubt it ever occurred to most posters here to ever PM a developer.

I think these forums are pretty tame anyhow.

That exact thought popped into my head at the exact moment I read your post. :D

Seriously I'm struggling to think of one disruptive poster I've seen here, other than the scouser guy who gave us all a slagging in that thread the other day.

We now bring you live footage from the World Championship Staring Final.

staringcontest8og.gif

Eh, I'm partial to the moderators on this board. I think Fionavar and Phosphor, among others, do a pretty danged good job within the constraints that they have been given.

Maybe I'm biased. I've watched these mods, particularly Fionavar, for several years over many forums and believe they are amongst the best. Fio is tolerant, yet firm, and works within the guidelines given to maintain a forum where everyone feels safe and welcome. Phosphor is consistent and fair, in my opinion, an excellent mod.

Bah, I'm probably biased and spoiled. But I think dumping a bit more responsibility in the hands of such talented and experienced mods might be the solution Obsidian is looking for right now.

Just a thought. :blink:

2. Troika never had a forum and never paid much attention to their fan base and look where they are now.

Correlation, causation, etc.

agreed. causality is almost completely lacking.

we must accept that it is difficult to form a causal chain 'tween troika's general arrogance, their belligerent attitude towards fans, and their ultimate demise. nevertheless, we will admit that such behaviors made us far less sorry to see them fail.

*shrug*

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

It won't be good for anyone if the boards closed. Though as Mreku pointed out, if it's a bleed on resources, then it might be a good reason to close down.

However, having boards up gives the impression of this place being active. While participation from devs is great in and of itself, it shouldn't be the only reason for the boards to exist.

There are other good reasons. Like building a community.

save feargus

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

You guys can come over to the RPGCodex. Beats the heck out of the LucasForums, Bioware or "Mistress' Lair". Feargus and MCA post at the Codex, and quite a number of the members on this forum already post there, anyhow. We're not power-crazy mod-happy lunatics, so discussions are pretty free, and we don't lock threads when the pages mount up (that's silly!)

The community can be kept alive.

edit: I hate to sound like a vulture but I'd hate to see this community dissapear because of the boards shutting down.

Exitium

RPG Codex - the premier avant garde gaming news site.

"It is more convenient to follow one's conscience than one's intelligence, for at every failure, conscience finds an excuse and an encouragement in itself. That is why there are so many conscientious and so few intelligent people." - Nietzsche

You guys can come over to the RPGCodex. Beats the heck out of the LucasForums, Bioware or "Mistress' Lair". Feargus and MCA post at the Codex, and quite a number of the members on this forum already post there, anyhow. We're not power-crazy mod-happy lunatics, so discussions are pretty free, and we don't lock threads when the pages mount up (that's silly!)

edit: I hate to sound like a vulture but I'd hate to see this community dissapear because of the boards shutting down.

I was just over there...doesn't seem like a whole lot of 'general discussion' activity.

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

You just have to start a thread, there's no rule against that. A lot of 'general discussion' happens in preexisting threads, stuff unrelated to the subject of the thread, even. You'll have developers from Bethesda describing some of the features of Oblivion in a thread related to Troika's demise, or something, heh.

Exitium

RPG Codex - the premier avant garde gaming news site.

"It is more convenient to follow one's conscience than one's intelligence, for at every failure, conscience finds an excuse and an encouragement in itself. That is why there are so many conscientious and so few intelligent people." - Nietzsche

Ha ha ha, why would I post over at the Codex anymore, when I enjoy Troika-baiting as much as I do? Or get flamed for not agreeing, utterly, with one of the resident uber-trolls?

Cheers

MC

sonsofgygax.JPG

I'll probably join over there if this board actually does get shut down. 'Til then, as short on time as I am now, I'll just stick around here. Be a shame if it shuts down, though bandwidth=monies, and if they've already got other possible boards for the games they're producing then I can see why they don't need these ones. On the other hand, I wouldn't have ever THOUGHT of purchasing NWN2 except for these boards, and it's now going to be 'must have' for me unless something extreme happens between now and when it's released.

Well considering NWN2 forums are online at Bioware, and Lucas Arts also has a forum for kotor2. So why does Obsidian need a forum?

Have you ever been to the Lucas Arts forums? If I were a dev I wouldn't want to respond to crap like

"h3y, wil thur be n e naked gurlz in ur next game? U shud have them cuz all games shud."

There was one 13 page thread that was pretty much just an argument between one guy, who was posting direct quotes from the devs on this board, and the guy saying that the devs were wrong because his friend heard something different. It blew my mind how mental a lot of the people over there were.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

"It could all be some dark, illuminati conspiracy to reduce Volo's post count to 0."

That be a pretty poor conmspiracy since post count means nothing.

As for the Codex, Exitium, why the hell would I want to post there? It's full of egotistical, flaming, whiny trolls!! Bah.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.