Cut Content (part 2) - Kath Hounds sold out

Say, how about that content that got cut out of the game? All of that wonderful, incredible, geniusly developed content that got cut from Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords due to the scumbags at Lucas Arts putting a B.S. release date on the game, preventing the wonderful people at Obsidian from completing game, forcing them to make up a bunch of last minute filler material. How about that sh*t!

I'll bet if BioWare took the job, was given the same time period to complete the game in and had the same deadline, Lucas Arts would have been a little more lenient. I say this because BioWare is tad bigger and has little more "authoritah."

I know that this has been said before, but I get the feeling that Obsidian left all of the cut dialog, scripts and whatnot on the game disks on purpose. They wanted some curious little gamers to go treasure hunting, and damn the stuff that's been found is some of the best treasure I've ever seen, or heard.

Lowering game sales hurts only Obsidian and the people who might enjoy the game even in its current state.

How do you figure it hurts Obsidian? Obsidian gets paid by Lucas Arts.

The game doesn't have to sell a single copy for Obsidian to get paid.

(Better to respond via PM or new thread, if you wish.)

Kiwegapa, I really appreciate what you and your www-page are trying to do.

It's a very important part of this whole campaign to restore content.

However, we must accept that the primary goal of all publishers is maximising profit.

There's nothing wrong with that. It just means that we must also communicate with them in that language.

Otherwise, we may never receive anything more in return for our concerns than their sympathy.

The Amazon sales ranking dropped further today and now stands at 24th.

That's the sort of message that a publisher can not shrug off.

They probably thought that printing KotOR II game software was as sure as printing money.

And they may have been right... until now. :ermm:

Getting back on topic (hi Fionavar :-" ), I hope that raising awareness of the content restoration campaign will encourage everyone to keep digging for more cut content and posting about it in this and Aurora's thread.

Personally i would not mind them remaking the "FULL" KOTOR2 and re-releasing it. I would buy it just for the satisfaction of knowing that when i got around to playing it again it would be a better game without so many plot holes and bugs. Just an idea for the good people of LA to think over....even though they probably don't even know this forum exsists. <_<

I know that this has been said before, but I get the feeling that Obsidian left all of the cut dialog, scripts and whatnot on the game disks on purpose. They wanted some curious little gamers to go treasure hunting, and damn the stuff that's been found is some of the best treasure I've ever seen, or heard.

If so, then it's a really nice gesture towards the modders. LucasArts won't allow them to help modders otherwise, but this could be a discrete way of doing it.

But it could also be because they simply didn't have time to remove it, due to LA riding them too hard as is to get it done early - or that they left it in hoping to be allowed to do a content patch.

At any rate, I wouldn't be surprised if they have gotten hell from LA already due to not removing it, and that they will probably make sure it won't happen for future releases...

Well, BioWare left some cut content on the KotOR 1 game disk's, as well. I don't think they left quite as much, but nothing (that I know of) that makes me want to start a protest like this stuff with KotOR 2.

I just downloaded and played the mod for the 'sacrifice ending' in Kotor 1 for the first time. It was really good, very romantic and sad and all that. There were a few other mods that changed bits of the game, including resurrecting (rather improbably) a character who had died on Taris. Everything seemed to have the correct voice actors, so I guess this was cut from Kotor 1 by Bioware rather than made up by the modders.

So that got me wondering, what was the reaction from fans when they discovered this cut material? Was it anything like as strong as with Kotor 2? I have to say, playing these extra bits didn't make me feel that Kotor 1 was released incomplete, whereas reading the 'cut ending' thread for Kotor 2 made me feel exactly that.

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

I just downloaded and played the mod for the 'sacrifice ending' in Kotor 1 for the first time.  It was really good, very romantic and sad and all that.  There were a few other mods that changed bits of the game, including resurrecting (rather improbably) a character who had died on Taris.  Everything seemed to have the correct voice actors, so I guess this was cut from Kotor 1 by Bioware rather than made up by the modders.

So that got me wondering, what was the reaction from fans when they discovered this cut material?  Was it anything like as strong as with Kotor 2?  I have to say, playing these extra bits didn't make me feel that Kotor 1 was released incomplete, whereas reading the 'cut ending' thread for Kotor 2 made me feel exactly that.

What mod is that? Link?

The thing about KotOR I is that any cut content found can just be considered as bonus for modders. It's not *needed* in the game, the game is complete and excellent even without it. So why protest?

It's different with KotOR II, as the cut content here prevents the game from being complete... too many holes in the plot without it. I noticed no such things with the first game. A hint or two about a cut planet, but nothing essential.

• 3 weeks later...

While I don't see the point of pointing blame on anything, I'd like to air that I have nothing but "Thanks!" for Obsidian.

With the compressed timetable given to them, they really put out a great game.

Besides, it's not like Obsidian had "complete control" over the characters, story, design.... EVERYTHING was subject to LucasArts' approval. Including the inflexible timeframe.

LA must understand that quality > quantity. People WILL WAIT for great games. Will be disappointed, but will wait nonetheless and will still be happy. How long was Halo 2 delayed? What, 2 years? How about WarCraft 3? Great games and happy people.

With KotOR's success, why would Bioware *not* want to do the sequel game? "Busy with Jade Empire" just sounds too convenient an excuse. But that's just speculation. :blink:

In an attempt to play something of a devil's advocate here. Obsidian promised a game in time for christmas.

The game that Obisidian were trying to make, though. With ALL of the cut content put in; the extra dialogue tightened, the bugs removed and so on - that was going to overshoot by quite some margin. i'm not a programmer so I don't want to estimate on the time but I wouldn't be surprised by several months more work.

Problem that Obsidian have to accept (if not in public then at least the next time they take on such a project) is that when you're asked to turnaround a game (or any product for that matter) in a certain time you've really got to work to that deadline. Maybe they thought LA would be more understanding, or maybe they forgot what christmas they were meant to be working towards but in the end they were potentially going to overshoot by a long way. Presumably someone has to pay for the time it takes to put all that content into the game.

Okay so they couldn't have delivered something with the potential that we all see in TSL; but they probably could have produced something less disappointing had they not tried to cram so much stuff in.

• 1 month later...
for the record how many game magazine online/offline noticed the noise we're making here?? I count 1.. forgot the site though..

I followed a link to the original Cut Content thread from a UK games mag (PC Gamer) and have spent all day reading the entire thing (plus links to various other threads). Good thing the boss is on holiday.

Thank God for all you dedicated fans hunting out and collating all this utterly essential content and making it available to all.

My disappointment with the lack of a real ending (plus all the other broken content in the game) was only exacerbated by the rave reviews in the gaming press, which mostly ignored the gaping holes and obviously rushed release of the game. It was a huge relief to find that so many other people felt exactly the same as I did upon first completing the game and that there is a determined hardcore of fans willing to do something about it.

I have signed the petition and sent emails to the LA addresses provided (yes I know I'm well behind but better late than never). Here's hoping we eventually get what we want (and paid for) - a coherent and completed story worthy of the KOTOR name.

"Okay so they couldn't have delivered something with the potential that we all see in TSL; but they probably could have produced something less disappointing had they not tried to cram so much stuff in."

I agree. They could've produced something less disappointing. Too bad it would've been less awesome as well.

9/30 -- NEVER FORGET!

I agree. They could've produced something less disappointing. Too bad it would've been less awesome as well.

True -- it is all the potential that shows in the neglected content that makes it so killer. If it wasn't any good -- well, we'd say "good thing THAT didn't make it into the game!" The increased immersion/drama/angst that lies in the files but doesn't play just kills me.

Cloris