Request To Keep Forum Closure Temporary

deganawida

Getting stabbed in the front hurts a lot worse than getting stabbed in the back.

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

Please, please don't close the forum! I come here every single day to read about KotOR2 and the "single player rpg" forum. The regular users are fantastic... and, imo, the forum serves it's purpose.

Just to reiterate what I posted in the TSL forum on the subject:

I don't post much here, but I definitely lurk here everyday. Personally, I think forums like this are a really really good thing. In my humble opinion leaving the boards open and either A) Electing more moderators or B) Allowing current moderators to be more strict(as Feargus said) would work best. I don't know if the decision to close the boards has already been made or what, but I think that with more active moderation(carried out by fans elevated to moderator status) the problems could be ironed out.

all in all I don't post much here ... but like a lot of others here, I've been a registered member from near the beginning and on the BIS boards before that.

I would hate to see the boards go down, I do realize it's hard for the OE to spend time here and on the BIO boards and be productive at the same time.

But the deeper thought goes does OE not have a third game in the works, are they now just BIO's intern studio .... did KOTOR II not sell well enough to merit the company's growth?

PLEASE keep the boards going , or shut down only temporarily, and e-mail registered members as soon as the boards come back up.

I hope OE will be around for a long time to come.

Please keep the forums open Obsidian.  Over the past year or so I have come to enjoy the company and discussions with many of my forum buddies here - and to close these forums now (wihout even providing an alternative ala NWN2 @ Bio), would be nothing short of decimating this community.  :(

As the risk of sounding like a Obsidian fanboi, if indeed they decide to close the forums, I would be happy to host some of these forums on NWN 2 News until they sort things out here. At least that way the community here would have a place to go and not disolve. And could always return if/when the forums come back. But at least it would keep you all mostly togeather.

Let me know if interested.

Admin of World of Darkness Online News

News/Community site for the WoD MMORPG

http://www.wodonlinenews.net

---

Jericho sassed me so I broke into his house and stabbed him to death in his sleep. Problem solved. - J.E. Sawyer

---

"I cannot profess to be a theologian; but it seems to me that Christians who believe in a super human Satan have got themselves into a logical impasse with regard to their own religion. For either God can not prevent the mischief of Satan, in which case he is not omnipotent; or else He could do so if he wished, but will not, in which case He is not benevolent. Fortunately, being a pagan witch, I am not called upon to solve this problem."

- Doreen Valiente

---

Expecting "innovation" from Bioware is like expecting "normality" from Valve -Moatilliatta

Its seems strange that the forums only became a problem when there first game is out and people can actually give feedback on it. I may just be being cynical but shutting down the main feedback channel just after a game has been released seems like sticking your head in the sand. So you don

Its seems strange that the forums only became a problem when there first game is out and people can actually give feedback on it. I may just be being cynical but shutting down the main feedback channel just after a game has been released seems like sticking your head in the sand. So you don

Admin of World of Darkness Online News

News/Community site for the WoD MMORPG

http://www.wodonlinenews.net

---

Jericho sassed me so I broke into his house and stabbed him to death in his sleep. Problem solved. - J.E. Sawyer

---

"I cannot profess to be a theologian; but it seems to me that Christians who believe in a super human Satan have got themselves into a logical impasse with regard to their own religion. For either God can not prevent the mischief of Satan, in which case he is not omnipotent; or else He could do so if he wished, but will not, in which case He is not benevolent. Fortunately, being a pagan witch, I am not called upon to solve this problem."

- Doreen Valiente

---

Expecting "innovation" from Bioware is like expecting "normality" from Valve -Moatilliatta

This is quite a development...

But it's nice to see the community rallying behind a common cause.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

Guest Da Pimp
Feargus--

While I can understand how, due to other business constraints and the need to spend time with family (a commendable decision, in my opinion) you and the other Obsidian employees cannot spend much time at these forums, and while I understand that it is difficult for a company to have its own forums and keep involved in the community without dedicated personnel, I would just like to throw in my voice to say that I hope that any closure of these forums be temporary.  Having been a member here since the forums opened, and having been a member at the old BIS forums way back when (though I'll admit I didn't post much back then), I have to say that these forums have a distinctive personality, similar to that of the old forums, and are some of the friendliest, laid-back game forums that I have ever been to.  They have helped build a community of gamers, both ex-BIS board members and new gamers, who are intensely interested in following the work that Obsidian produces, and I feel that it would be a shame to close down these forums permanently, as then the community of gamers here would have no method to gather together at one forum and discuss with each other (if not the developers, as is currently the case) the merits of the OE games and game design philosophy.  I understand that you feel the need to do this, but I would like to reiterate that there are those of us (and, y'all please post in this thread to lend your voices to mine) who would like the closure to be merely temporary.

Thank you,

deganawida

A' yo what hee said yo.

As the risk of sounding like a Obsidian fanboi, if indeed they decide to close the forums, I would be happy to host some of these forums on NWN 2 News until they sort things out here. At least that way the community here would have a place to go and not disolve. And could always return if/when the forums come back. But at least it would keep you all mostly togeather.

Let me know if interested.

You are awesome :)

so, fergie is taking his ball and going home? am disappointed. am not too surprised, but am disappointed even so...

you know, the truth of the matter is that we probably wouldn't/won't miss these boards... or fergie's complaining

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

ultimately we ain't surprised, but we is disappointed.  there were times during which the interplay and bis boards was far more hostile to developers than these boards is now.  nevertheless, the ip and bis boards always endured.  is hard to accept that now that fergie gets a chance to do things his way, that he is gonna go all hypersensitive on us... am disappointed indeed.

HA! Good Fun!

...that's the problem, Grom; I don't think Feargie is being allowed to run things his way...he's got both BIO an', most regretably, LA to answer ta now...at least BIS only had that idiot Caen an' the IPLY maroons ta answer ta...he pretty much lost his vision o' Obsidz from the get-go...more's the pity...:ermm:

...WHO LUVS YA, BABY!!...

• Like 1

A long, long time ago, but I can still remember,
How the Trolling used to make me smile.
And I knew if I had my chance, I could egg on a few Trolls to "dance",
And maybe we'd be happy for a while.
But then Krackhead left and so did Klown;
Volo and Turnip were banned, Mystake got run out o' town.
Bad news on the Front Page,
BIOweenia said goodbye in a heated rage.
I can't remember if I cried
When I heard that TORN was recently fried,
But sadness touched me deep inside,
The day...Black Isle died.

For tarna, Visc, an' the rest o' the ol' Islanders that fell along the way

what the hell does that have to do with the boards? surely you ain't suggesting that bio or lucas is jamming fergie up over the boards.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)