Request To Keep Forum Closure Temporary

deganawida

Feargus--

While I can understand how, due to other business constraints and the need to spend time with family (a commendable decision, in my opinion; oh, and congrats on the new little one) you and the other Obsidian employees cannot spend much time at these forums, and while I understand that it is difficult for a company to have its own forums and keep involved in the community without dedicated personnel, I would just like to throw in my voice to say that I hope that any closure of these forums be temporary. Having been a member here since the forums opened, and having been a member at the old BIS forums way back when (though I'll admit I didn't post much back then), I have to say that these forums have a distinctive personality, similar to that of the old forums, and are some of the friendliest, laid-back game forums that I have ever been to. They have helped build a community of gamers, both ex-BIS board members and new gamers, who are intensely interested in following the work that Obsidian produces, and I feel that it would be a shame to close down these forums permanently, as then the community of gamers here would have no method to gather together at one forum and discuss with each other (if not the developers, as is currently the case) the merits of the OE games and game design philosophy. I understand that you feel the need to do this, but I would like to reiterate that there are those of us (and, y'all please post in this thread to lend your voices to mine) who would like the closure to be merely temporary.

Thank you,

deganawida

What Batman said :)

(execept, that this was the first forum I ever bothered to register on)

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

what the Goth guy said..

I don't see why you need to shut it down .. just let it fall into total anarchy! we can take it!! :-  :D  :)

:cat:

Just because you're a bit thinner than your even fatter mum it doesn't mean you're in excellent physical shape, if you could fit through the door and view the normal people you'd notice that cheeseburger boy. Squid suck.

I'll add my $.02 that the problems aren't enough to warrent closing them down. Problem posts can be delt with by the usermods, who theoretically should be able to let people know that, for now, Obsidian isn't staffed to be able to answer a lot/most/all of the direct queries at the moment.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

:devil:

As someone who has invested quite alot of time in the past 4+ years posting on one incarnation of the BIS/IPLY/OBS boards or another, this news actually saddens me greatly and is all too reminiscent of the tragic loss of Black Isle Studios to us "cRPG Geeks". While I understand that, with any "new" company comes growing pains, I feel that the loss of these Forums would not only hurt we die-hard fans, but would also prove to be a step backwards for such an "up-and-comer" like Obsidian. Very rarely have I ever "come out of character" on these or any other variation of the BIS/IPLY/OBS Boards, much less for such a post, but to honestly convey my opinion and feelings on this matter, I feel it necessary in order to truly let Feargus and all the other employees at Obsidian Entertainment know how strongly I support a decision not to close these Forums. And if the decision to close the Forums must be made, I want to thank Feargus, Avellone, and all the rest of those at Obsidian Entertainment whose path led them from the fallen but not forgotten Black Isle Studios for all the work they have done, both on their games and on their Boards in the daily dealings with their fans, to let we the fans know that they actually gave a damn about our input and our entertainment. Thank you for 5+ years of commitment, dedication and loyalty to the fans. And, especially, thank you for putting up with me all these years.

Jason Oliver

A long, long time ago, but I can still remember,
How the Trolling used to make me smile.
And I knew if I had my chance, I could egg on a few Trolls to "dance",
And maybe we'd be happy for a while.
But then Krackhead left and so did Klown;
Volo and Turnip were banned, Mystake got run out o' town.
Bad news on the Front Page,
BIOweenia said goodbye in a heated rage.
I can't remember if I cried
When I heard that TORN was recently fried,
But sadness touched me deep inside,
The day...Black Isle died.

For tarna, Visc, an' the rest o' the ol' Islanders that fell along the way

Just adding my voice to deganawida's.

Go Obsidian! :thumbsup:

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Keeping the forum in order isnt the issue, the moderators are well equipped to do that and should more be needed then recruiting will not be difficult.

What OE seem to be saying is:if we dont have the time to participate in the discussions on the board, then what sense is there in having them?

There's a lot of sense to it actually. Above posters have listed them already.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Though I've said it elsewhere, I feel compelled to say it again: Like others, I have always appreciated the openness of the developers and employees of Obsidian Entertainment (not just those who used to work for Black Isle). I enjoyed reading the discussions that y'all have had with us, and though I understand that at the moment y'all are unable to discuss as much or as often, I hope that this is just a temporary phase, and that soon we can all enjoy this wonderful community again.

I've got an idea.

Set a 2 post per hour limit.

THAT would kill a lot of the flamage, and keep things to serious discussions. (In theory)

I'd prefer the forum didn't disappear though :(

Keep the forums open!

What the recently unusaully posititve Hades said.

By the way Hades, where you abducted by aliens recently? Because you haven't been your usual negative self I have come to know and love.

Lou Gutman, P.I.- It's like I'm not even trying anymore!
http://theatomicdanger.iforumer.com/index....theatomicdanger

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.

Well, you know, depreciation.

Well I can't say that I know him personally, but I hear he is a nice fellow...

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.

(and, y'all please post in this thread to lend your voices to mine)

batman.jpg *answers the call* ^_^

Please keep the forums open Obsidian. Over the past year or so I have come to enjoy the company and discussions with many of my forum buddies here - and to close these forums now (wihout even providing an alternative ala NWN2 @ Bio), would be nothing short of decimating this community. :devil:

manthing2.jpg

Hahaha...

I think I will miss you Jaguars4ever, Hades_One, and OLD SCHOOL WHEELMAN the most if this place gets shut down...

*Sigh*

I did make myself a second home at Winterwind, but I sure as hell will miss this place, even without being part of any particular group of "buddies".

Where do we go watch Volourn defend the virtues of NWN OC now ?!? :wacko:

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Feargus--

I understand that you feel the need to do this, but I would like to reiterate that there are those of us (and, y'all please post in this thread to lend your voices to mine) who would like the closure to be merely temporary.

Ditto. Even if schedules and responsibilities don't allow you (the Developers) the time to reply/interact on the boards, it's still a great place for fans of your games to congregate and discuss things. At the very least, it's one way for you to get lots of feedback. (w00t) o:)

Hope to see these forums around for some time to come.