say it aint so, feargus

Well, I sincerly hope the boards stay open. This seems to be a natural gathering place. I mean 'net-junkies' will know were to find other boards to discuss the game, but newbies will look at the box or manual and got to the official sites. And comparing LA and OE's forums we certainly have a clear winner.

Also, when any developer maintains open lines of communication with the fans, whether through own boards, usenet, fansites or whatever it speaks volumes as to the developer's intentions (Derek Smart excluded).

If it takes increased moderation to keep the forums open, then by all means do increase moderation. Those who don't have anything better to do than troll, do not deserve any better.

So please, do NOT close these forums.

~D --> refrain talking to me directly in a thread addressed to Feargus.

For your information my moniker "manitsbuggy" refers to my first 20 minutes with KOTOR II and my ATI video card which I had to take out and replace with a geforce to get the game to work. So what the hell are you talking about? Why do you care?

I was not condescending at all to Feargus. Apparently he thinks people are unnecessarily trashing his game and he wants to move on and forget it.

The PC version just came out 2-weeks ago, no effort or purpose was ever intended to provide any level of content apparently beyond a technical patch. I am entitled to my opinion I am a PC gamer first and I directed my post to him and I think I pretty much covered the jest of the 650 plus posters in the end Cut scene thread. Did you read all of them? Besides you have your opinion I have mine address Feargus not me.

Lets get some FACTS straight:

Oh, and I will come out and say the one thing that iritates Obsidian employees the most is when we are referred to as BioJr, Bioboys, Bioleftovers, Biobitches or whatever fun little moniker has been thought up for the day.

I have not done that to any degree in any of my posts, maybe 2-3 people out of a 1000 other posters have said it but I don

if the boards are shut down we will all be a little cross and dissapointed, but those who want to will find new boards and communities, then hey presto 1 month later no one even cares that these boards are gone

get over it kids, all gd things end, and stop being such drama queens, its hardly violation of our human rights

Sheesh.  Real helpful.  Come in with an oh-so-clever moniker like, say "manitsbuggy"... then for three glorious weeks bitch and moan in every one of your 22 brilliant bitch-and-moan posts, then give the president of Obsidian a condescending lecture about how he should run his company, his forums, and the proper way to deal with his publisher.  Yep, yep, that'll give Feargie the incentive to pour more money and manpower into ye olde boards!

This board is Obsidian's living room.  Now I don't know what kind of hovel some of you live in, but when people are invited into my living room I don't let them flop on my sofa, empty my frig, then proceed to insult me, call me names, tell me how to run my household, live my life and raise my children.  That, boys and girls, is rude (in case your mama's didn't tell you... and clearly, some of them didn't).

Personally I think giving mods increased banning ability is the best idea yet.

:)

Well, if you need a moderator I'm available as I have no life... I'm just not available when Lost is on and have absolutely zero experience moderating! <snicker> Seriously though, as others have pointed out it's been a fun place to hang out & discuss both the merits and the flaws of the game, so I hope the forums aren't shut down permanently. As a fan from back during the BIS/Interplay days, I do hope things work out on KoTOR 3 if Obsidian's handling it, but please work a little harder on the romances to make them fulfilling (especially for us female players) and add in more dialogue + triggers to improve the pacing... Hehe, it's just a little pet peeve of mine, so I had to mention it again if it's one of the last things I get to post here! Hugs to Feargus & co. :)

If we were to keep the forums up, I would probably have the moderators become more strict about posts from trolls and give them more liberty in banning people.

I used to frequent writer Warren Ellis' forums on Delphi. He had a massive number of people reading and posting on the forums and a very dictatorial, draconian style of moderation. If a moderator thought you were trolling, being an ass or just posting too much fluff there were quick and public repercussions.

It was the most valuable large forum I've ever seen.

I hope you do not decide to close down the Obsidian forums - they really keep your company and product fresh in the minds of your market. Moving to a stricter moderation style would be a great decision.

If we were to keep the forums up, I would probably have the moderators become more strict about posts from trolls and give them more liberty in banning people.

Feargus - I'm with you 100% on this one. While I wouldn't like to see the Obsidian boards get as uptight as the Bio boards (where I rarely go because of the rather heavy-handed moderation), there must be a happy medium somewhere.

BTW - Congratulations on the new addition to the family.

Just a quick message to let you all know that I am reading the posts.  And no I didn't just jump to the end and post this Hades. :)

Oh, and I will come out and say the one thing that iritates Obsidian employees the most is when we are referred to as BioJr, Bioboys, Bioleftovers, Biobitches or whatever fun little moniker has been thought up for the day.

That's not a reason for us to close the board down, it's just one of the things that doesn't help get us pumped up about reading the forums every day. 

Another random thought of mine (I'm pretty much dealing wtih sleep deprivation right now) is that it seems perfectly acceptable for people to call us names, but if we ever respond in kind then we would be the ones being childish or poor sports.  Half the time I want to post "Sticks and Stones will break my bones, but why don't I just shove my fist down your throat."

I'm perfectly fine with criticism - just not the "YOU SUCK DONKEY BALLS OBSIDIAN, GIVE ME MY MONEY BACK BECAUSE WHILE I PLAYED YOUR GAME THREE TIMES ALL THE WAY THROUGH I THINK IT SUCKED!1 JUST LIKE YOU DO AND SO DOES YOUR MOM!11" variety.

Honestly, I really don't believe that this is the true reason, Mr. Urquhart.

And I can't believe that you are so oversensitive. ;)

In my opinion, it is the tiny minority of people who personally insult you, accuse you of incompetence or the like. Most of these "trolls" visited the forums only for a few times and then left forever. "BioJr, Bioboys, Bioleftovers, Biobitches", I have never heard of this nonesense (or maybe I read over it...?).

The real fan base (which represents the majority here I think) is still there.

Their criticism is constructive and they wish OE the best. These people have enjoyed the game and care a lot about it, whether (from outside) it looks like this, or not. You would realize this if you'd spent more time on this forums (you *have* other business to do, this is *no* criticism, of course ;) ).

These forums have their own "balance" even without a moderator, in contrast to most other forums in the web (including LA's Kotor2 board).

Maybe the expenses for this boards have exploded since the international and PC release and OE isn't willing to spend their money for an excessive discussion (unbelievable 100,000 posts in a very short time) about the "cut ending".

That's only a guess, but it would be a reason I could understand.

"Jedi poodoo!" - some displeased Dug

S.L.J. said he has already filmed his death scene and was visibly happy that he

My last reply here fergy.Your admins have plenty of control as it is.But only 1 enforces it.I've grown quit close to Fionavar over the last few weeks&he is one of the few that will remove a thread entirely.This admin has removed more women bashing threads than i can count ;)

So ladys if you have a problem fionavars your man.

Again it is on the community to police there own.All it takes is a PM people.I understand some of your admins are noobs-Therefore you might want to think about recruiting some from the community-people that have experience with banning problem makers. :ph34r:

It'd be nice to keep the forums open, to be sure, but I think that this allows for community websites and forums to blossom. As Killzig said at the RPG Codex: "Save themselves some bandwidth, let the fan sites handle the forums. Maybe they can foster some good feelings that way. Not that they need to. Just think its better when a company doesn't have their own personal forum with their own little goon squad making things a nightmare."

Frankly, I agree with that statement. If any of you need a new home, there's always the RPG Codex. We don't ban for any reason, either. Moderation is minimum, so any discussion is unprohibited. I hate to sound like a vulture, but there aren't too many places to go to that cover Obsidian's RPGs like KOTOR2 and NWN2 as much as we do that support open discussion on other matters, with included participation from the developers (Chris Avellone, Feargus, etc).

Exitium

RPG Codex - the premier avant garde gaming news site.

"It is more convenient to follow one's conscience than one's intelligence, for at every failure, conscience finds an excuse and an encouragement in itself. That is why there are so many conscientious and so few intelligent people." - Nietzsche