say it aint so, feargus

Anybody else notice that the Cut Ending Stuff was closed with no explanation and the Petition threat was deleted?

An answer may be found in this article. Please note the following quote:

LucasArts wasn't thrilled with the column, from what I understand, and I'm not surprised.
I'd imagine that is why it was closed, and most likely presents problems to OE.

Apparently all of our letters did something. I know I sent one asking him to draw attention to the Spoilers forum.....

Closing the forums down permanently would be a mistake IMO. Interaction with your customers is a vital part of surviving in the industry, especially in the gaming industry.

Agree 100%.

I think it only annoys people more when you do that -instead of having comments in one area people will just go other places and if your worried about bad comments now, just think when they are on every message board. Word spreads quickly on the net!

Besides lots of comments on here are good. Dunno makes the game more interesting when you can see what others are doing in it.

(Waves hand) These are not the forums you are looking for...

Lou Gutman, P.I.- It's like I'm not even trying anymore!
http://theatomicdanger.iforumer.com/index....theatomicdanger

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.

Well I must say, I was a little surprised that the Petition thread was deleted. It most likely had to do with the fact that some unlisted email addresses for LA folks got posted there. Major no, no I'm guessing.

Still, it seems they are aware of the community's general feelings toward K2. Most of us like the game, but want to love it by seeing all the content restored (after bug fixing of course).

I do feel awful if OE took a ton of heat from LA for it (and may have something to do with the potential need to shut things down indefinitely).

LA has an excellent opportunity here to do right by the K2 gaming community, let's see what they do with it.

I'd hate to see a new developer close their public forum because of a few malcontents. As a fellow Internet junkie and gamer, I can appreciate fully that, though their job is video games, they only have so much time to give to community interaction.

Oleg Maddox tried this with the IL-2 Sturmovik series, and it nearly drove him insane. But then, we simmers have always been a rather picky lot, even more so then the general community here.

Here's hoping that you can keep this community going.

I'd hate to see a new developer close their public forum because of a few malcontents.

That's the "official" reason we're being fed...but why do I get the feeling this is backlash from L.A. in response the cut ending/petition? <_<

manthing2.jpg

Well I must say, I was a little surprised that the Petition thread was deleted.  It most likely had to do with the fact that some unlisted email addresses for LA folks got posted there.  Major no, no I'm guessing.

Still, it seems they are aware of the community's general feelings toward K2.  Most of us like the game, but want to love it by seeing all the content restored (after bug fixing of course).

I do feel awful if OE took a ton of heat from LA for it (and may have something to do with the potential need to shut things down indefinitely).

LA has an excellent opportunity here to do right by the K2 gaming community, let's see what they do with it.

Yes, I would imagine the emails would not have been the best thing to put up.

I would also like to second an apology to Obsidian if this is creating a lot of heat for you guys, because honestly, I felt that you had created a game far better than the original KotOR, and would hate to have the endgame issue create future problems for you guys. If there is a KotOR III, then I would love to see you guys do it, and I hope this hasn't ruined it.

That's the "official" reason we're being fed...but why do I get the feeling this is backlash from L.A. in response the cut ending/petition?

I, being the conspiracy theorist that I am, also think something like that is going on...

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.

Yes I would much like to see it.

I'd be sad to see these forums go... they were the first ones I ever joined ::sniff:: I know I never posted much (joined almost as soon as news got out about KotOR 2 came out in UK Xbox magazine, or whichever one it was), and I was always greatful for the way the devs would actually keep us informed themselves... it was a pleasent surprise, after looking at some other developer sites. Shame about all the **** Obsidian caught for what is a great game.

Maybe closing the forums might be inteded to cut all the whinging pre-schoolers that joined just to slag KotOR2 and Obsidian off, or maybe I'm being optimistic. Its late. I'm gonna sleep now. Nite, and perhaps goodbye. :ph34r:

Thirds the request for that link :devil:

Blue lorry yellow lorry blue lorry yellow lorry blorry. D'oh.

Damnit, why couldn't people refrain from e-mailling the devs (actually I'm surprised that the devs would reveal their e-mail addresses to the public - most other companies don't)?

We should:

(a) Keep PMs/e-mails to the absolute MINIMUM (or none at all, I mean they've got a job to do!)

(b) Get more moderators

© Don't expect that the developers will be on the forums 24/7 (I repeat, they have a job to do)! Sure it's nice if they visit every so often, but that's just one of the perks visiting this forum, not an expectation!

I really enjoyed the atmosphere on this forum besides the repeat threads and the blatant "I hate OE" threads which didn't offer anything constructive whatsoever. I can't even find KOTOR 2 threads on the Bioware forums (don't know what everyone else is talking about) and the Lucasarts forum isn't great either (their forum is very primitive and they're a bit behind when it comes to news on KOTOR 2, as you'd expect being that they're not the developers).

I would be very sad to see these forums go, but like others, understand where the developers are coming from.

If Feargus is reading this, congratulations on the new baby :devil:!

Damnit, why couldn't people refrain from e-mailling the devs (actually I'm surprised that the devs would reveal their e-mail addresses to the public - most other companies don't)?

But if they close the forums, then more people will email the developers directly, because we can't express our opinions here. Unless they change their email addresses.

If developers have been receiving a deluge of negative email, I feel very sympathetic towards them, but I'm not sure they've chosen a wise response.

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

How can Obsidian do this to all of us? they can't do this to us! no way! why can't they get somone whos been on theses forums for a long time to do the job to keep the forums open? I can't believe this is happening to all of us.

Obsidian please keep the forums open we need your forums!

Just for the record, while I have posted my displeasure with the decisions that were made about the release, and the effect said decision had on the game, I did enjoy the game for what it was, and what it had. It was a good game, not a GREAT game.

Part of my reason for my postings on the "big subject" was that I hold in high regard the people at Obsidian who produced such quality in the past. I don't wish to see them start down a road of producing the same bland, unoriginal products that have a large enough presence in the gaming industry already.

I have my thoughts/ideas as to which company ultimately made the final call on releasing KoTOR II, but since I don't have proof of anything, I decided to cover the bases.

I am really hoping that I did not unwittingly contribute to the idea to shut down the forums, and i would HIGHLY encourage Feargus to think heavily on that decision. Speaking as one who is currently one of the closest things to a Community Manager for my own company, what Obsidian currently has with it's boards is something that money just CANNOT buy. Sure, there will be a ruckus of one size or another for a short period after you release a product, but it will die down soon enough, and be replaced by the constant hum of pleasant exchange between the people who really count, the real fans of your product, who wil far outlast the din of discontent.