More about Comics

Kaftan Barlast

I went and got me a couple of numbers of the new medieval "Lady Death" and the logics of comics never fail to surprise me.

Our main heroine is drowned and awoken back to life by her demonic father. She pulls herself together gets up out of the river and "Waam!" she suddenly has a supercool heroine outfit complete with gadgets and enormous cleavage.. What? How did that happen?!

I mean, in the good old days... Peter Parkers grabndma had to sew his spiderman suit, know what I mean?

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

superman's suit was sewn by his "mother" as well... the funny part is that apparently the fabric in his suit is capable of withstanding light-speed generated friction. i'd have guessed he'd have been nekkid in just a few moments.

taks

comrade taks... just because.

Aaah, where would the world be without inconsistancies?

funny thing with LD, in the next number someone actually comments "Where did she get that costume?" :D right before she tries to beat an entire village to death with a stick and they fight back by throwing beermugs at her. I like this comic.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Haven't read the Lady Death comic...actually I've never read a Lady Death comic at all...but I get the impression from people talking about it that its a fairly "tongue in cheek" book.

Anyhow, Peter Parker sewed his own costume from fabric he found around the house (why Aunt May had fabric laying around the house with a spider pattern on it is another story entirely however!)

Superman's costume was originally sewn from the cloth in the pod his father Jor-El sent him to earth with; like all things Kryptonian, being on earth made it indestructable. Martha Kent unraveled the blankets and such, and sewed (with the help of toddler-Clark's heat vision to "cut" the thread) the suit, which also was so super stretchy that it grew as Clark did!

(All of this, however, isn't the case anymore after Superman's many origin reboots; his costume - while resiliant - tends to rip and tear a good bit).

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

The Medieval series are actually top notch, something which cant really be said about the earlier stuff which varied greatly in quality IMO. Too bad theres only 12 parts :thumbsup:

I wonder if Charles Xavier made all the original Xmen costumes himself in his basement?

Haven't read the Lady Death comic...actually I've never read a Lady Death comic at all...but I get the impression from people talking about it that its a fairly "tongue in cheek" book.

Anyhow, Peter Parker sewed his own costume from fabric he found around the house (why Aunt May had fabric laying around the house with a spider pattern on it is another story entirely however!)

Superman's costume was originally sewn from the cloth in the pod his father Jor-El sent him to earth with; like all things Kryptonian, being on earth made it indestructable.  Martha Kent unraveled the blankets and such, and sewed (with the help of toddler-Clark's heat vision to "cut" the thread) the suit, which also was so super stretchy that it grew as Clark did! 

(All of this, however, isn't the case anymore after Superman's many origin reboots; his costume - while resiliant - tends to rip and tear a good bit).

The actual reason his costume is so resiliant is because Superman emits an aura a quarter inch away from his body that makes anything within that aura as indestructible as he is. Which is why his cape rips all the time while the rest of his costume is fine.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

The Medieval series are actually top notch, something which cant really be said about the earlier stuff which varied greatly in quality IMO. Too bad theres only 12 parts :thumbsup:

I wonder if Charles Xavier made all the original Xmen costumes himself in his basement?

Xavier's rich...odds are he bought them from Mr. Fantastic (who came up with the "unstable molecules" that make up the Fantastic Four's costumes, as well as the X-Mens)

That said, who makes Banner/Hulk's big purple pants...? :p

Oerwinde - Ah yeah, I'd forgotten about that modern day explanation.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

The Medieval series are actually top notch, something which cant really be said about the earlier stuff which varied greatly in quality IMO. Too bad theres only 12 parts :p

Xavier's rich...odds are he bought them from Mr. Fantastic (who came up with the "unstable molecules" that make up the Fantastic Four's costumes, as well as the X-Mens)

That said, who makes Banner/Hulk's big purple pants...? :p

Oerwinde - Ah yeah, I'd forgotten about that modern day explanation.

I still don't understand how ol' Banner doesn't end up stark nekkid every time his alter ego erupts. :thumbsup:

I still don't understand how ol' Banner doesn't end up stark nekkid every time his alter ego erupts.  :thumbsup:

He has special purple pants - an issue even showed him buying some! :D

I still don't understand how ol' Banner doesn't end up stark nekkid every time his alter ego erupts.  o:)

He has special purple pants - an issue even showed him buying some! :D

See, but they rip? Are they like 100 sizes too big, and he wears a REEEEEAAALLY big belt with them or what?

They change color, too... usually they're just ordinary blue jeans or khakis until his hulkness erupts.

Maybe they're GAMMA RADIATED PANTS!!!!!!1111

Except then they'd be green.

Hmmm, maybe Dr. Strange conjured them up... :thumbsup:

The best thing about Hulk's pants is that the loosest part of the pants is the part that rips. Its like his waist doesn't change size, his thighs only go up 1 or 2 sizes but his calf is like 9 times the size of his normal calfs.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

I blame outdated religious dogma, if Hulk had been European, he'd been nekkid and proud of it.

I blame outdated religious dogma, if Hulk had been European, he'd been nekkid and proud of it.

Mebbe when Banner hulks out, his...you know...doesn't grow correspondingly so Hulk is mortally embarrassed by it and makes sure to have pants on at all time... :)

The truth is less direct religious dogma, and actually the House Unamerican Activities Committee from the 50s. Fredrick Wertham, a psychologist, had published a novel, Seduction of the Innocent claiming that comics were causing children to become deviant criminals. As a result, the House began an investigation of the industry.

The companies that had made their mark with superheros and kids comics took the opportunity to for the "Comics Code Authority" with two reasons. One was to quiet the HUAC people, the other was they saw a way to put out of business the companies that was killing them in sales. Companies like EC, the people behind Tales from the Crypt (and other horror/crime titles) and Lev Gleason, who published Crime Does Not Pay and other violent crime comics.

Whereas the comics of this period had been pushing into adult territory, and might have led to the US comics scene being a more versatile and diverse medium, it instead put a stranglehold on the comics scene, out of which only superhero comics (like Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman) and humour books (like Archie or Richie Rich) survived...

Its sad that not everyone in the civilised west had the opportunity to grow up with nudity and childrens comics like Sweden's famous

bamse.gif

Bamse, the Communist bear. which was the #1 childrens comic in the 70-80's. Actually the society in Bamse had progressed beyond the Dicatorship of the Proletariat and were now living in autonomous societies where everyone was nice to eachother except the odd evil troll or wizard.

..but back no nakedness, I mean reading Lady Death or Witchblade, what does it matter if there an extremely minute patch or string of skintight cloth covering the naughty bits when 96% of their Epidermis is exposed to the elements anyway? They're already statisticly naked.

• 2 weeks later...

What really bugged me was the censorship of the Humanoids books. They released them in normal comic book format, but drew clothes on them because they were "comic books" but later released unedited versions of them in the Trade paperback. It made no sense, and they really shouldn't have edited the originals...