Spirited Away's No-Face = Darth Nihilus?

kaonashi.jpg

Does anyone think this character called :"No-Face" from the critically acclaimed anime, 'Spirited Away' has similarties to Darth Nihilus. They obviously don't *look* EXACTLY the same but here are some facts:

(1) Both DN and NF conceal their true identity.

(2) Both feed off others to gain power.

(3) Both speak in an unintelligible manner.

Anyway, sorry for the random post (if you don't like it, you can just laugh at the randomness :"> ), it's a long shot that someone else has seen this anime but if they have I'm curious if they had spotted the similarity :).

I've seen spirited away, and there's some resemblence between those two, so there might be some inspiriation at work there. But then again, you'll find alot things in this business that chare some similarities.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Good observation! :)

Another character that Darth Nihilus reminded me of was Galactus from Marvel Comics' Silver Surfer: A cosmic being sending out his envoy to search for planets he can devour to still his endless hunger? Pretty close.

kaonashi.jpg

Does anyone think this character called :"No-Face" from the critically acclaimed anime, 'Spirited Away' has similarties to Darth Nihilus. They obviously don't *look* EXACTLY the same but here are some facts:

(1) Both DN and NF conceal their true identity.

(2) Both feed off others to gain power.

(3) Both speak in an unintelligible manner.

Anyway, sorry for the random post (if you don't like it, you can just laugh at the randomness  :"> ), it's a long shot that someone else has seen this anime but if they have I'm curious if they had spotted the similarity :).

Dear Lord....

"There is no running or hiding, Jedi. Your times up."

-Boba Fett-

BOBAFETT.JPG

Umm isn't he called No-Face (I belive he's called Kaonashi in the Japanese version, whatever that means :p I don't know) because he doesn't have a face (duh) ...so there's nothing for the Noh mask to actually conceal...unlike our friendly neighbourhood sith lord who's "just a man" underneath.

Also I think what was meant by the secret identity was that they hide them selves.

Plus No-face doesn't really "speak" by himself, he just goes "ah ah". Nihilus does speak, it's just in a language we can understand.

Interesting point all the same.

*Pointless trivia* Jason Marsdn was the voice of Haku in the Amercian dub of Spirited Away, he also did some voice work for the orginal KOTOR (Dustil Onasi, Igear and Brejek I think) but not the sequel....so there is a connection, albeit an extremely geeky one :)"

The most sincere form of flattery..........

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

Yes, definitely - first time I saw Darth Nihilus, I thought he resembled No-Face. When the idea of him feeding off others was revealed, the parallels became even stronger.

I wonder how original No-Face was though? Visually, the idea of masked, cloaked figure does not seem that innovative. Nor is the idea of evil spirits feeding off humans' emotions. I kind of assumed No-Face was a Japanese archetype or some such, but Spirited Away was a very creative film so maybe he was original.

Regardless, No-Face and Nihilus may be a case of creative convergent evolution rather than direct imitation.

PS: It's threads like this where the absence of developer interaction really hurts!

I kind of assumed No-Face was a Japanese archetype or some such...

Actually the movie's director/creator, Hayou Miyazaki, commented how the character of No Face was actually a bit of a characture of himself.

Figure that one out...

If that's the case, maybe Hayou Miyazaki is....

Darth Nihilus himself! :lol:

*Dark Side Jingle plays*