Market research in game design

This is a question for someone with experience in game development. I've been reading a lot in the Sith Lords forums and others about aspects of the game that people like or dislike. How much romance should there be? Should you go for linear plots with deep character development, or more freedom and less depth? How much should the sequel refer to 'Part One' (in this case, Kotor 1). My question is about how these choices are actually made. In particular, is formal market research used, either for the game you are developing or more general research about 'what game-players want'? If there is (reasonably rigorous) research into what gamers are generally perceived to want, is it publicly available? Or do designers rely on their own judgement entirely?

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

It depends on the studio and the publisher.

Look at a game's credits to get a general idea of who is ultimately responsible for what.  It seems to me like the development team has minimal influence on marketing.

Sadly or not, depending on your perspective on things, many games are extensively focus-tested these days. While it's not my cup of tea it definitely reflects the influence of marketing folks on developers.

Sadly or not, depending on your perspective on things,  many games are extensively focus-tested these days.  While it's not my cup of tea it definitely reflects the influence of marketing folks on developers.

Focus-testing usually requires a playable game, though. I realize that marketing has an influence; I just think that in general, it isn't a huge influence.

edit:

Just read this from a recent interview with Elder Scrolls IV' Senior Producer, Ashley Cheng:

We have complete freedom to make whatever kind of game we want here," says Ashley Cheng, senior producer of Elder Scrolls 4: Oblivion. "We decide where we want to go, not market data. While we do pay attention to market trends, we place the most weight on games that we ourselves are playing and enjoy, and we make the type of game we want to play. So if we change a feature or game system, it is because we ourselves played it, decided it wasn't good enough and wanted to make it better. We are our own harshest critics.
*source

But yeah.