Bioware VS Obsidian

Who was the fastest to release their first patch? I think Bioware was very fast to release their first beta patch... But it looks like Obsidian want to take their time and fix all the bugs (um well good luck). Honestly, I doubt they will ever be able to fix them all.

Imo, they want to release a single patch so that they are done once and for all with it! It seems to me that they want to leave that project as fast as possible, now that they got their money. Afterall, even with all the complaints, they did VERY well since the game even beat WoW in the UK! So if money is all they care about, they managed to do an excellent job.

They will never release added content or improved music/video, that's for sure. Now I would say that Obsidian should take example on Valve, I mean, everytime I start Half-Life 2 there is a new thing to download! And the game didn't even need a patch in the first place. And I'm sure Valve is making a lot of money right now, so LucasArts please take example on them!

I don't know really, I think the game market today is weird, on one hand, they rush games and on the other hand, they take years to release some project... (HL2, Duke Nukem Forever)

Bioware is a older company, while Obsidian is a new company that had just released their first game. I don't think its fair to compare the two, even though alot of the Obisidian crew worked with Bioware to create the classic Baldur's Gate series.

Yes, Obsidian will need a lot to fix up all their bugs!

Just remember that the reason why BioWare have not made anymore patches is cos LucasArts said so. It's was on a few threads over at the BioWare forums.

In light of this, I think Obsidian wants to make sure it gets everything fixed in one go cos as soon as LucasArts thinks the game is "good enough", then more patches won't be supported/funded by them.

sigpic0yb.jpg

Pure Pazaak - The Stand-alone Multiplayer Pazaak Game (link to Obsidian board thread)

Pure Pazaak website (big thank you to fingolfin)

KotOR patch version 1.01 was released before the game itself. You couldn't even play the game before that patch.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

What I find interesting is how little thought is put into this type of posts just so people can complain/rant! (IMO) of course.

So seeing as you people have all the answers why not share with us and let us know how many people work for Obsidian! How many are working on NWN2? How many on KOTOR 2? After the mad rush, how many are on vacation and just got back? How many are working on the patch? How many on a new project?

As for bugs, I, ME, had exactly 4 crashes to desktop from start to end of game (After fixing the ATI problem)! The ATI problem is not found with just KOTOR2, so it's not really an Obsidian bug but ATI not getting around the technical specs. I also found no quests I couldn't solve! (That I know of as a light side char).

What I do know from over 10 years of correcting user problems, is that the majority of problems come from users not software. (Yes I know my experience doesn't count or apply here) Yes this game has bugs but from talking to people I know, nothing big!

No wonder Obsidian stays silent, I can

KotOR patch version 1.01 was released before the game itself. You couldn't even play the game before that patch.

Actually, it was playable but on certain Intel Chipset there was a memory leak which caused the game to slowdown... Still, it seems to me that Bioware was faster.

What I find interesting is how little thought is put into this type of posts just so people can complain/rant! (IMO) of course.

So seeing as you people have all the answers why not share with us and let us know how many people work for Obsidian! How many are working on NWN2? How many on KOTOR 2? After the mad rush, how many are on vacation and just got back? How many are working on the patch? How many on a new project?

As for bugs, I, ME, had exactly 4 crashes to desktop from start to end of game (After fixing the ATI problem)! The ATI problem is not found with just KOTOR2, so it's not really an Obsidian bug but ATI not getting around the technical specs. I also found no quests I couldn't solve! (That I know of as a light side char).

What I do know from over 10 years of correcting user problems, is that the majority of problems come from users not software. (Yes I know my experience doesn't count or apply here) Yes this game has bugs but from talking to people I know, nothing big!

No wonder Obsidian stays silent, I can

What version of the ATI drivers works best? I've been having a lot of problems lately with crashing and graphical issues.

War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

--John Stewart Mill--

"Victory was for those willing to fight and die. Intellectuals could theorize until they sucked their thumbs right off their hands, but in the real world, power still flowed from the barrel of a gun.....you could send in your bleeding-heart do-gooders, you could hold hands and pray and sing hootenanny songs and invoke the great gods CNN and BBC, but the only way to finally open the roads to the big-eyed babies was to show up with more guns."

--Black Hawk Down--

MySpace: http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fusea...iendid=44500195

What version of the ATI drivers works best? I've been having a lot of problems lately with crashing and graphical issues.

For me I use the latest drivers. I cahanged a few graphics settengs from the standard setup. Check the tech forum on this site, some of these guys are very good.

For those that think the CTDs (Crash To Desktop) are because of ATI drivers only, I am afraid I will have to disagree. I run a Gforce 5700 and on my first play through had 4 CTDs, I also have 3 sound/video loop lockups. (where sound and video play continously and the user has no control over the game.)

I have the latest drivers for my Gforce card, which is brand new, and still experienced many many graphical problems as well as sound and game play anomilies (sp).

As a software tester in the games industry. This one is simply a unpolished turd that went out the door because of marketing and the publisher. In my 7 years of experience and 20+ titles, rarely does a dev team want to push a product out the door that is this bad. Though I have met one or two developers who were contrary to this observation.

Anyways the patch will be the telling note.

well, the question not, who released their patch first, its which game could you play as soon as it came out.

Kotor I = Couldn't play until 1.03 (don't ask why, i have no idea)

Kotor II = Worked right away

'Worked' meant in the least literal sense possible.

I have had no CTD errors ... my problem is the swoop racing and the fact I cant win races no matter what my time because of a scripting error. The manual says I can, but I cant, and I will kick up merry hell until the problem is fixed or Ill be going to trading standards because the product which I bought does not perform in the way advertised or promised.

well, the question not, who released their patch first, its which game could you play as soon as it came out.

Kotor I = Couldn't play until 1.03 (don't ask why, i have no idea)

Kotor II = Worked right away

'Worked' meant in the least literal sense possible.

I have had no CTD errors ... my problem is the swoop racing and the fact I cant win races no matter what my time because of a scripting error. The manual says I can, but I cant, and I will kick up merry hell until the problem is fixed or Ill be going to trading standards because the product which I bought does not perform in the way advertised or promised.

then do so, moaning and crying about it won't make the patch come out any faster.

Infact, it worked fine for me, only severe slowdowns in 3 places. (2 in Peragus mining area and 1 on Malacor V)

Other then that it worked perfect for me.

It only started hanging because i am using the 4.3 atioglxx.dll file to get the neat glows back. (ATI Specific problem)

Just stop complaining, i loved the swoop racing on Kotor I, but complaining about something isn't gonna get it fixed any quicker.

Just remember, there are some people that can't even get the game running or even installed, while you are complaining about not being able to win the swoop race on Telos. (which is bugged and not worth complaining about, while the other swoop races are quite winnable, as far as i know, but i have never liked Kotor II swoop racing, it just doesn't do it for me like Kotor I swoop racing did.

EDIT: I do note now that the Developers said in the FAQ before the game come out that they had fixed ALL ATI specific issues that they knew about and showed ATI how to fix their drivers. (but the lack of glow around light sources are still unavailable on any drivers above Catalyst 4.3)

"Just remember, there are some people that can't even get the game running or even installed, while you are complaining about not being able to win the swoop race on Telos. (which is bugged and not worth complaining about, while the other swoop races are quite winnable, as far as i know, but i have never liked Kotor II swoop racing, it just doesn't do it for me like Kotor I swoop racing did."

Okay...havent ever got angry during any of this but your reply has really got me going.

"which is bugged and not worth complaining about"

What a stupid statement?! The fact its bugged is why Im complaining, and only an idiot would accept spending money on an item which is actually broken and then actually speak out to stop people complaining.

The fact you then try to use the fact that some people cant even install the game as an argument against me makes me laugh because you are just confirming the totally unacceptable situation. Im unhappy now, I would be seething If id bought a game that wouldnt even install and I would have every right to be.

YOU and the FOOLS who play down these problems and have a go at the people complaining are actually the very reason that games companies (be it publiser or developer) can get away with producing unfinished, unacceptable rubbish. And where else would you like us to complain other than the forums.

Clearly you either have no regard for the value of money and are happy to pay for things that dont work, or you simply consider that because you are satisfied with accepting something flawed, everybody else should be too.