Why the hell I must be wimpy to get LSP?

However, as a LS character, you can still accept any reward: simply you get a little less LS points. Trying to play a DS character is much worse, as it seems that all the DS characters found in SW games nowadays are a bunch os sadistic idiots.

Kreia *IS* how a dark side character should be. Not at the end but during the whole course of the game. She loves to insinuate doubts, she teaches the player to be selfish, she sees the whole universe and its people as an opportunities to be exploited.

I couldn't agree more. I wish you had some [Lie] dialogue options with your companions, so you can say nice things you don't mean to win influence with the ones who lean to the light side, rather than have to mean it an get LSP or be petty and nasty to them.

There was a nice line in the first game by I think one of the merchants on Korriban about how just because someone was Sith they didn't have to be a thug. I wish both games had let you do that, it could have worked really well with the influence, corrupt your companions not just be mean to them.

But of the police take your car, they have the right to (and usually do) sell it or keep it or do whatever. Because its not yours. Its theirs. So its not your lightsaber, its theirs. And she can take it if she wants to. Because its not yours.

No, if the police has the reason to take my car, it has no right to give it to some policemen to drive it, neither they have any rights of ownership and they (of course) cannot sell it. Who the hell told you the police can sell the cars in detention?

The fact that they do it all the time? Its how I got my car for cheap.

Exactly. As I wrote before - I just want to be a normal. Not a mass killer, but not a lamer, which every one can try to kill, can rob, intimidate, insult, and you can only whine and try to "save" every scumbag in the galaxy.

And when someone talks arrogantly and is mean to you, you just have to smile and to talk bull****, or you get DSP again? Like the stupid aroggant b*tch Atris and her  useless cloned handmaidens? Why the hell I cannot just tell you - "You stole my ship, I want it back!"

the handmaidens are clones and theres me thinking that their mother was just a working girl?

However, as a LS character, you can still accept any reward: simply you get a little less LS points. Trying to play a DS character is much worse, as it seems that all the DS characters found in SW games nowadays are a bunch os sadistic idiots.

Kreia *IS* how a dark side character should be. Not at the end but during the whole course of the game. She loves to insinuate doubts, she teaches the player to be selfish, she sees the whole universe and its people as an opportunities to be exploited.

I couldn't agree more. I wish you had some [Lie] dialogue options with your companions, so you can say nice things you don't mean to win influence with the ones who lean to the light side, rather than have to mean it an get LSP or be petty and nasty to them.

There was a nice line in the first game by I think one of the merchants on Korriban about how just because someone was Sith they didn't have to be a thug. I wish both games had let you do that, it could have worked really well with the influence, corrupt your companions not just be mean to them.

You make an excellent point. I haven't played fully through with a dark side character yet (probably will in a month or two), but I always thought that I should be able to tell my companions what they want to hear, if for no other reason than to gain their trust. Now, I always like to play my character as loyal to his or her friends, so I have no problem taking the minor hits to my dark sidedness in order to gain influence or just plain be nice with no rewards.

My friend played his game that way, never being an ****, but always being evil, and he got full darkside with no problems, though it did fluctate away from that at times.

the handmaidens are clones and theres me thinking that their mother was just a working girl?

They aren't clones, they just all have the same mother and father. THE Handmaiden has a different mother from them, thus why she looks different.

Glad to find someone that thinks like me. Most people don't get past the hate/anger clich

Glad to find someone that thinks like me. Most people don't get past the hate/anger clich

"Jedi poodoo!" - some displeased Dug

S.L.J. said he has already filmed his death scene and was visibly happy that he

Agree, any half intelligent evil character would have to be sociopath or psycho in order to take pleasure from kicking beggars sitting quite in a corner, alot of DS points given made borderlinie stupid and addresses something more in linies of Thugs and Socipaths.

Why should a intelligent person bother with suppressing people already so far down its not even in Sith code worthy of attension.

As i recall sith only deals in victorious and it can hardly be a significant victory to kick a beggar to death for 5 credits, when you can easily scam for more and with less chance of getting Caught.

I for one hoped DS would have more basis for being a cunning and dangerous Sith like Darth Sidious Rather Than Kreia's thug :D

Afterall They hit it right when Kreia says do you get these psychotic urges alot?

The Jedi Code

There is no emotion; there is peace.

There is no ignorance; there is knowledge.

There is no passion; there is serenity.

There is no death; there is the Force

I think a light side jedi is suppost to have faith in his master, the council and the force. I think a light side jedi if he/she follows the code has no emotion but to serve the bigger picture.

In the case of the exile its to help the galaxy, the republic, the people of the republic in any way he/she can. In the case of the light side jedi they put themselves last in this order of things.

They feel no urgency or desperation but faith and vigilance in honor. Peace from doing the right thing. Emotions have to be felt and dealt with but a jedi must learn to release them as well. They seek truth and in the search try to become knowledgeable of their actions in order to better serve.

There is no passion only serenity. Serenity in knowing you only seek to serve. Serenity in no emotional involvement either in power, money, credits, weapons, armour or nice clothes or any other means of displaying wealth. Faith that the force will provide is key to a light side jedi. To want would be to need or perhaps fear.

There is no death. There is only the force. You ultimately serve the force hopefully through knowledge and faith. Faith that if you if you stay centered, stay focused that in the end you will be successful in serving the greater good of the galaxy.

As a light side jedi your life, your gift of the force is for the benefit of others. You seek to bring peace through understanding, compromise, and sharing of knowledge.

You as a light side jedi are to apperciate the very delicate situation you are in. You as light side jedi are to very greatly never underestimate this gift and teachings you are being given.

After all you are a sentinent being with wants, desires, and hopes you can not let them overtake your emotions and intellect. As a light side jedi you are but a vessel of the force, to die for the force in serenity giving all your life freely. It is a slippery slope to allow yourself to start feeling, to give into desires of want and personal need. The force within has to be serene are you will be tempted to the darkside.

Now with all that said. Handel if you do not feel this way then you are what I think they would call a "grey" jedi or pehaps you are even a dark jedi.

Your choices in this game KOTOR II are:

1) Play neutral to light like a grey jedi then pick your light side prestige class then do whatever your mind wants and play your character the way you feel.

2) Be what you really want to be which is a darkside jedi. See how far your emotions will take you in this game and allow yourself to want those creds, those weapons and allow yourself to be the most important thing in the galaxy and feel the rush of the darkside.

3) Suck it this time through and play a light side character then start over a second game your second time through and play a dark side character.

Darkside characters do whatever they want and follow their own code. Me first.

----------------------------------------

On another note:

1) Jedi knight II: Jumpers Quest

2) KOTOR I

3) KOTOR II to some degree

LOL> How many gimmiks can they come up with to keep people from starting off with full jedis?

I want a game that starts as dark or light and allows you play it as a full strength jedi. I want to blow up some planets. Heck I want to force consume a whole planet like Nihilius supposedly did.

In KOTOR I getting the two families to fight was a priceless gaming moment, booku darkside points that served no immediate purpose I remember but it sure was evil for evil's sake.

I cant be the only one who enjoyed seeing the price on their head going up in Fallout 2 on the wanted posters who liked being called a baby killer. Thoser rug rats were thiefs.

Oh the darkside, it is so fun Handel feel it, live it, give in to it and join me as we take what we want when we want.

I can feel the darkside in you Handel just give in to it and join me.

The Jedi Code

There is no emotion; there is peace.

There is no ignorance; there is knowledge.

There is no passion; there is serenity.

There is no death; there is the Force

I think a light side jedi is suppost to have faith in his master, the council and the force. I think a light side jedi if he/she follows the code has no emotion but to serve the bigger picture.

In the case of the exile its to help the galaxy, the republic, the people of the republic in any way he/she can. In the case of the light side jedi they put themselves last in this order of things.

They feel no urgency or desperation but faith and vigilance in honor. Peace from doing the right thing. Emotions have to be felt and dealt with but a jedi must learn to release them as well. They seek truth and in the search try to become knowledgeable of their actions in order to better serve.

There is no passion only serenity. Serenity in knowing you only seek to serve. Serenity in no emotional involvement either in power, money, credits, weapons, armour or nice clothes or any other means of displaying wealth. Faith that the force will provide is key to a light side jedi. To want would be to need or perhaps fear.

There is no death. There is only the force. You ultimately serve the force hopefully through knowledge and faith. Faith that if you if you stay centered, stay focused that in the end you will be successful in serving the greater good of the galaxy.

As a light side jedi your life, your gift of the force is for the benefit of others. You seek to bring peace through understanding, compromise, and sharing of knowledge.

You as a light side jedi are to apperciate the very delicate situation you are in. You as light side jedi are to very greatly never underestimate this gift and teachings you are being given.

After all you are a sentinent being with wants, desires, and hopes you can not let them overtake your emotions and intellect. As a light side jedi you are but a vessel of the force, to die for the force in serenity giving all your life freely. It is a slippery slope to allow yourself to start feeling, to give into desires of want and personal need. The force within has to be serene are you will be tempted to the darkside.

Now with all that said. Handel if you do not feel this way then you are what I think they would call a "grey" jedi or pehaps you are even a dark jedi.

Your choices in this game KOTOR II are:

1) Play neutral to light like a grey jedi then pick your light side prestige class then do whatever your mind wants and play your character the way you feel.

2) Be what you really want to be which is a darkside jedi. See how far your emotions will take you in this game and allow yourself to want those creds, those weapons and allow yourself to be the most important thing in the galaxy and feel the rush of the darkside.

3) Suck it this time through and play a light side character then start over a second game your second time through and play a dark side character.

Darkside characters do whatever they want and follow their own code. Me first.

On another note:

2) KOTOR I

LOL> How many gimmiks can they come up with to keep people from starting off with full jedis?

I want a game that starts as dark or light and allows you play it as a full strength jedi. I want to blow up some planets. Heck I want to force consume a whole planet like Nihilius supposedly did.

In KOTOR I getting the two families to fight was a priceless gaming moment, booku darkside points that served no immediate purpose I remember but it sure was evil for evil's sake.

I cant be the only one who enjoyed seeing the price on their head going up in Fallout 2 on the wanted posters who liked being called a baby killer. Thoser rug rats were thiefs.

Oh the darkside, it is so fun Handel feel it, live it, give in to it and join me as we take what we want when we want.

I can feel the darkside in you Handel just give in to it and join me.

It is very good someone tried to learn the Jedi blah... blah... blah... . The problem is in KOTOR 2 a LS Exile is the only person which have to keep this code. All the Jedi DO NOT keep it. And the Exile is not a Jedi at all. So it is not bound to it.

AND: The Jedi council alowed zillions of ppl to die during the Mandalorian War, because they looked to the bigger picture and estimated the concequesnces from the war and such bull****. So it appears it is allowed for a Jedi not to help the needy right on the spot, but to look at the bigger picture instead... Like saving the Galaxy from the Sith Lords and such. Also looking at the bigger picture is getting your rewards because you need the money and the stuff and so on...

And quite the opposite - the Jedi which followed Revan and stopped the Mandalorean War become Dark Jedi, simply because they helped the ppl at once and didn't considered the bigger picture as the council did. Why then the Exile gets LSP when helps on the spot, even when the bigger picture becomes worse? And he gets DSP if he acts according to the bigger picture? Like when he gave 5 credits to the beggar? He gets LSP if he gaves 5 credits, but because of it the beggar is robbed and thrashed, so he has no money again and is beaten. If the Exike didn't gave him money the beggar still would have no money, but would remain in god health! So if the Exile acted in the way of the Jedi council, it had to get LSP for NOT GIVING money and DSP for giving money (because the beggar is beaten). So is beaing a Jedi equal to just being stupid? Acting like a dog? Show him a bone and he makes a stance... Beside in both KOTOR 1&2 always someone talks about "corrupted republican senators". Why the hell the Jedi council didn't take any measures against the corupted senators and such?

Some of you, guys and gals, are like my mother in law. She never reads and hears the things, which don't correspond to what she likes to be. Of course she always hears and reads what she likes to hear and to see :devil:

on one side, we have mandalorians killing "zillions" of people and razing worlds, taunting the republic to respond to their attacks... on the other side we have the results f the mandalorian war which is the death of several millions plus the falling of several thousands of republic troops and jedis, which by the way joined the sith forces and caused more deaths as well as destruction of several facilities and planets.

this is the reason why the jedi council advised caution, as sudden and impulsive response may lead to the worsening of the already dire conditions.

and pls, the jedi masters are well aware of the suffering of the people, as ben kenobi demonstrated in the millenium falcon in "a new hope"

jedis are well capable of sensing the suffering/death of people throughout the galaxy, we can only guess what the masters were feeling everytime they meditated on the mandalorian war, trying to find the dark hand that is hidden from them.. given time they would have striked at the heart of the problem... probably in the lines of eliminating or capturing/mind wiping the mandalore, since mandalorians choose the strongest and most honorable to be their leader, this would cause a quarrel and the resulting civil war within the mandalorian ranks would reduce them to warring clans..

as the old saying goes... "Great things come to those who know how to wait"

this is the reason why the jedi council advised caution, as sudden and impulsive response may lead to the worsening of the already dire conditions.

Exactly! Why then the Exile gets LSP when he helps in sudden and impulsive way and gets DSP if he don't help in sudden and impulsive way?

Someone is confusing wimpy with humble and self sacrifice.

The Jedi may have seen the result of the Mandalorian wars before they ever happened.

I don't see the word "humble" in the Jedi code, neither I see "self-sacrifice".

Actually I see "Thereis no emotion" and "There is no passion"

Try looking beyond the words into the meanings of the code. :)

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

come to think of it... the way you handle the refugee problem like clearing the way for the wife to return to the docks or the chance to take out the quasi guy.. in fact most of the ways for the LS players to solve the problems are un-Jedi.. most of the time it does not involve patience nor peace nor compromise... and you have no insight as to the results of your action, like the ones in Telos.. you kill the exchange guy.. no DS points but then without a head the thugs there might go wild or worse you'll have a gang war that the TSF can't handle...

the ways the problems are solved for the LS are similar to the ways Anakin would solve the problem.. fast and efficient.. and a very good way to slide to the dark side..

Try looking beyond the words into the meanings of the code. :)

I am trying. Even better - I am looking to the members of the Jedi council trying to gent a nexample from them. And what I see - they are pompous, arrogant, untollerant, unforgiving. Or they are more Jedi then the other Jedi and that's why they are allowed to behave in such manner?

Try looking beyond the words into the meanings of the code. :p

I am trying. Even better - I am looking to the members of the Jedi council trying to gent a nexample from them. And what I see - they are pompous, arrogant, untollerant, unforgiving. Or they are more Jedi then the other Jedi and that's why they are allowed to behave in such manner?

They are practically fallen because they are arrogant, intolerant and unforgiving. They've lost what it is to be Jedi, that's why you don't get dark points for telling them no - they are practically raping you.

Also, its not being impulsive to help people. That's consistent. Its what Jedi do.

I think there are actually two big factors we have to consider here that are interetwined:

1) This is in fact a video game.

Before you go, "Duh!", what I mean is that as a game there are limitations as to what you can and can't simulate in terms of moral and ethical belief systems to where the gamer has a solid foundation on which to base his/her alligance. In this case, it is the Light or Darsk sides of the Force and the resulting consequences that those actions produce.

Now, perhaps using someting simplistic as right/wrong, light/dark *is* too simplistic, but that is what the SW universe is based on... And it is easy for gamers who are not SW fans to also pick up on and base their decision on what side of the fence... Er, Force... They want to play.

I think the second reason... Making it easier for gamers to quickly choose a path and stick to it... Is why both KOTOR games aren't that "in depth" in terms of realistically portraying some of the issues and belief systems (moral and ethical) they present.

As someone said, someone who is truly evil or out for themself isn't just going to come out and say it. These people work behind-the-scenes and manipulate various angles and get others to do their dirty work for them like Kreia and Palpatine in the films.

However, there comes a point to where too much "behind-the-scenes stuff" (subtrafuge; lies; manipulation) just won't make for an exciting game and this is in fact why DS players are unfortunately relegated to acting more like thugs and petty thieves than true manipulators of others wills and situations because it just does not make interesting gameplay to be blunt. Especially, for console players who are generally younger and who don't need real, in-depth "moral" choices.

On a similar note...

2) I feel the morality of the LS and DS as portrayed in the KOTOR games is just too simplistic for contemporay audiences.

I know I just said that console players... Which is where the KOTOR games origins originate... Are statistically younger and need "simple" foundations to play a game like KOTOR, but at the same time, everyone, no matter what their age, is growing up in a time where there isn't any real black-and-white morality anymore and everything is extremely gray, even moreso than in past decades/years.

A perfect example is Iraq. Another example is the current President of the United States. These are not simple "black-and-white" issues because there are those who support either of these things, and those who oppose them.

Who is right? Who is wrong?

I don't want to get into a political debate her, but I think this is a perfect example of the realities that gamers bring to the table (consciously or not) when they play a morality based game like KOTOR I & II and this is why the representations of both the LS and DS may be "outdated" given what is going on with the real world and that is what players like Handel are criticizing as well as those who like to play DS as well.

An pefect example of this is that as much as I am against war in real life...

I can see the Exile's point of view that the Mandelorians were a legitimate, agressive threat and probably would have started for the core worlds if Revan and others didn't take action and stop them at the Outer-Rim. In fact, since it is a game, I played the part of me going to war with Revan free of my own free will because I *thought* it was the right thing to do (the greater good; stop an agressive enemy who shows no signs of wanting to compromise peacefully).

This gets back to what I was saying regarding the LS and DS moralities possibly being too simplistic in 2005, becaue the very premise (the Exile's story) really doesn't fit in with how the SW universe was originally presented by George Lucas and this may be why a lot of people are having a hard time with the game's storyline and saying that it doesn't belong in, or "feel" like the SW universe... And they are right to some degree.

I think it is bold for Obsidian to try and be more "realistic", but at the same time, I think that may be an impossible feat because SW was never *supposed* to be realistic in the sense of addressing moral hypocracy, the good guys don't always win, shades of gray, etc... Only absolutes like Evil Sith Lords, Jedi, and Dark Jedi.

Anyway, that is my take on it and why I think Handel and others (including me) are having a hard time with the portrayl of both LS and DS in this game since it is almost as if the game itself is questioning those two absolute systems... But not in a good way, but more of a limited, gameplay mechanic way that can't be changed without desnging a new game that includes more in-depth decision making.

On another note:

2) KOTOR I

I was thinking that myself after the Exile's predicament was revealed. The "Zero To Hero" approach makes sense given that the game is based of the D&D rules system, but it makes no sense to anyone who follows the Star Wars Universe. The Dark Side is supposed to be the quick and easy path.

As for Handel's moral problem, I find it no problem to play Light Side. You just have to be a good person who seeks to aid others. Given that my coffers and inventory were overflowing with more stuff that I could reasonably use ina game, I had no problem turning down a poor peasant's 200 credit reward.

The Jedi Masters in the game are supposed to be wrong, and are probably closer to the Dark Side than they realise. The arrogance and self-righteousness of the Jedi Order is a recurring theme in SW fiction, including the prequel movies. But that doesn't mean the Jedi Code itself isn't a good example of how to follow the Light Side: seek to prevent the loss of life whenever possible, don't give into fear or agression, and try to understand why people are acting as they are and where possible, redeem them.

I am glad at last ppl posting in this thread started to think instead of mechanicaly repeating "You don't know the Jedi Code" and such... And I agree - this is a game and it cannot be really realistic. But I feel like I was cheated on the moral issue. Remeber Baldur's Gate 2? This was superb game concerning the moral choices you make without trying to make you feel guilty you took the well deserved reward and such... Because I don't mind helping ppl, but after some of the dialogs line I am telling in the game I feel the real ppl will laugh at me "OMG, what a stupid man is this Jedi"

And something more - the true evilness is not slaying the population of several planets. This happens on the Earth too (even at the small rate); but this is crazyness, not evilness; The true Evil Lord still needs population to rule. Because if there are no ppl to rule, the is no lordship at all. That's why many ppl here don't like the Sith Lords in the game - because they are no lords at all - they have no one to rule (surely - they had a bunch of sith soldiers/assasins, which came from nowhere), but this is no Lordship - this is just leading a small (in the galaxy measures) band of mercenaries. And this is one of the many points where the gamers don't like the story in KOTOR 2.

This is what seems to be confusing you. I am not sure if this was intentional or not (and perhaps this deserves its own thread), but there are no Jedi in KotOR2 except those created by the actions of the player. They just aren't there. Atris, Vrook, Kavar and that other guy are all former members of the Jedi Council, but if you define Jedi based on Yoda, Obi-wan Kenobi and the like, they just aren't Jedi anymore. Don't expect them to act like Jedi and don't follow their example if you want a Light Side character.