Do I Need a New Video Card or Driver Update?

So, I bought the PC version, but apparently I need a new video card or really need to update my drivers.

Here's my system info.

There are plenty of updates available, but I don't know which one would be of benefit (which one would fix the damn problem) or if I'm simply out of luck.

So is there hope, or am I just screwed? If the latter... oh well, I have an Xbox... :p

[edit] Nevermind, it appears I am simply going to need a new card. (Gee, never thought my two-year computer was THAT old.) Although, some suggestions for some reasonably priced cards would be much appreciated.

Edited by stop_him

Wow, what museum did that crawl out from? I myself am quite the antiquity connoisseur. ^_^

My recommendation would be to upgrade the whole computer, preferably wih one from the 21 th century. :)

But money is a constraint (as I'm sure it probably is, lol), then pick up a GeForce FX card and you're in business.

Incidently, regardless of that k2 diagnostic, the game should still run on your comp....just not very well.

manthing2.jpg

So, I bought the PC version, but apparently I need a new video card or really need to update my drivers.

Here's my system info.

There are plenty of updates available, but I don't know which one would be of benefit (which one would fix the damn problem) or if I'm simply out of luck.

So is there hope, or am I just screwed? If the latter... oh well, I have an Xbox... :)

[edit] Nevermind, it appears I am simply going to need a new card. (Gee, never thought my two-year computer was THAT old.) Although, some suggestions for some reasonably priced cards would be much appreciated.

Yeah, you're pretty well off there. You just need to get yourself something like a Geforce 6600 GT or a Radeon 9600 Pro (or better). I don't recommend any of the Geforce FX 5x00 cards or any of the ATI SE/LE suffixed cards (ex 9600SE).

Wow, what museum did that crawl out from? I myself am quite the antiquity connoisseur. ^_^

My recommendation would be to upgrade the whole computer, preferably wih one from the 21 th century. :)

But money is a constraint (as I'm sure it probably is, lol), then pick up a GeForce FX card and you're in business.

Incidently, regardless of that k2 diagnostic, the game should still run on your comp....just not very well.

Trust me. If I had the money for a new computer, I'd buy one, but college students are notoriously poor - at least the ones who don't have parents to pay for them. *sigh*

Besides, if I did buy a new computer, it'd be "old" within six months.

I'm sorry, but stop telling such crap.... That computer is quite ok, except for the graphics card....

I'm sorry, but stop telling such crap.... That computer is quite ok, except for the graphics card....

:rolleyes:

I'm not sure what's worse - that computers specs or your sense of wit.

believe me, a P4 2.0 GHz isn't that bad, and 512 MB RAM isn't bad either, just the graphics card is crap....

You're talking about a computer from the 21st century, well the 2.0 GHz P4 was released in the year 2001 I believe, so stop bitching...

believe me, a P4 2.0 GHz isn't that bad, and 512 MB RAM isn't bad either, just the graphics card is crap....

You're talking about a computer from the 21st century, well the 2.0 GHz P4 was released in the year 2001 I believe, so stop bitching...

No sh1t sherlock. You're obvioulsy unfamiliar with the concept of sarcasm.

And if anyone's bitching it's you dumbass. So be a good n00b and run along now. Shoo. o:)

manthing2.jpg

No sh1t sherlock. You're obvioulsy unfamiliar with the concept of sarcasm.

And if anyone's bitching it's you dumbass. So be a good n00b and run along now. Shoo. o:)

Hmm... first person calling me a n00b... nice experience considering I have 18 years of computer hardware experience and am working at Cisco....

Umm....In my opinion if you wanna play those game for now just you buy some new AGP Graphic card and everything will be fine. :-

That Rival TNT M64.... oh....I wonder why it can pass that openGL compatibility test - -

I miss my old comp T-T.

Wow how did that graphics card get in there? Take it it was left over from an older system...

Anyway onto a useful suggestion - If you're on a tight budget I'd recommend a GeForce 6200 - make sure it's the agp version, not the pci-e version, don't get the one with turbo-cache and look for the 128 bit version (different to 128 meg). That card is excellent value for money, and the cheapest priced card that has any real mileage in it. I would seriously recommend either the 6600 or the 6600gt if your budget will stretch to them; your machine shouldn't bottleneck them.

Here's my system info.

So is there hope, or am I just screwed? If the latter... oh well, I have an Xbox... ;)

I agree. Get a new graphics card and you'll be just fine. I haven't seen a TNT2 for a long time! I think I actually have one in one of my many boxes full of old hardware somewhere.

As for suggestions, I could post some links to some suggestions if you could give us some idea of how much $$$ you want to spend.

BTW- actually, jaguars4whatever, you kinda come off as a bit of a n00b... :ph34r:

I agree.  Get a new graphics card and you'll be just fine.  I haven't seen a TNT2 for a long time!  I think I actually have one in one of my many boxes full of old hardware somewhere.

As for suggestions, I could post some links to some suggestions if you could give us some idea of how much $$$ you want to spend.

BTW- actually, jaguars4whatever, you kinda come off as a bit of a n00b... :ph34r:

I just want a reasonably priced card. Something between $50-$150 would be good. I'm not looking for some super snazzy $200+ card, though if I get that new job this summer... well, for right now like I said a reasonably priced card that will get the game running reasonably well.

Most PC games I play I run on the lowest settings anyway.