Can We Move On, Please?

I wouldnt do one unless it could be done across both platforms. The potential gain is minimal(mostly a goodwill excercise) and the potential of seriously annoying the Xbox fanbase is huge.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

Unfortunately Obsidian isn't a god-company yet like Bioware. They are a new business (yes, business) that has just started out from the charred remains of BIS, and need to watch their finances if they are to survive. The games industry is one of the most risky. A lot of companies, companies with good potential, have gone bust because they invested too much in a game.

What Obsidian needs to do is do a cost-benefit ratio. If they make a patch to fix the game, will it increase game sales, which equal profit? Obsidian needs money in order to finance NWN2 and future titles. They need to follow Bioware's example.

Bioware is kind of an 'uncle' company to Obsidian in terms of advice and inspiration. Bioware can easily fund Xbox Live if they want to, Obsidian cant - thats why they decided against it. Therefore I doubt that a patch for Xbox will be distributed via Xbox Live. It's sad, but thats how business works :p

I wouldnt do one unless it could be done across both platforms. The potential gain is minimal(mostly a goodwill excercise) and the potential of seriously annoying the Xbox fanbase is huge.

Well, console owners know (or should know) the risks of favoring the console version of a game over the PC one, not just the advantages. But let's try not to turn this into yet another Xbox vs PC thread. :thumbsup:

Anyway, you have a point. Xbox owners would be rather pissed, and MS wouldn't like that. Hence, the gods at LA wouldn't be very happy about it, seeing how their policy towards customer satisfaction ranks significantly lower than their desire to get more Xbox contracts, which in the end means that a content patch probably won't be getting the thumbsup from LA.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

That's the rub. I doubt it will get the go-ahead since it would have to be considered for both platforms. I mean look across various boards and see how upset some x-box owners are that the pc version is getting a patch. A content patch too? I don't even care to think how ugly things will get.

sigh

I agree that a content patch needs to be done and I am sure that the Obsidian people would have no problems in doing one if they get the go ahead and funding from LucasArts.  The question is will LucasArts support their game.  personally i hope that Lucas Arts does get someone else to do KotOR 3.  Not because Obsidian wouldn't be up for the job.  Quite the opposite.  I don't think that Obsidian should be saddled with a publisher with unrealistic expectations who don't give a crap about the game in the first place.

Holy christ the fact that they have announced that they even "asked" lucasarts for a content patch squarly puts the attention on Lucas, but then maybe lucas told them to do so cause they can handle the heat.

In either case, it would be sweet as hell to see one.

That's the rub. I doubt it will get the go-ahead since it would have to be considered for both platforms. I mean look across various boards and see how upset some x-box owners are that the pc version is getting a patch. A content patch too? I don't even care to think how ugly things will get.

sigh

Well I played the Xbox version 4 times bug free (or at least none that were noticable enough to spoil the game). I dont know If I was lucky, or if that just means the Xbox is a lot less buggy (seems likely given it's the same machine regardless).

Chipped boxes aside, no sympathy there, they know the risks. Damaged CD's, yep it happens I had a damaged Fable CD , old boxes which need a good checkup etc.

PC games, are universally buggy on a system level for whatever reason and patches are the norm. Getting annoyed at the fact that some people cant play the game without a tech patch is just dumb.

A content patch on the other hand is a case of playing favourites. If it's done by some modder, then no one can cast the blame on Obsidian for it. If on the other hand its done by Obsidian I hope that MS will take note of it and seriously consider whether or not Obsidian is a suitable Xbox developer for the future.Which could have serious implications on their future as a developer.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

I hope I don't offend anyone with this, btw.

Influence lost: Trumbo.

While I agree with many things you say I couldn't disagree more with the

title you've chosen : "What's done is done." Were it not for other intelligent

posts on this board someone might mistake you for an Obsidian shill - or

worse, a LA shill. ("Ok you guys had your time to rant, now shut up because

it's just not gonna happen.").

I am not going to shut up. I am going to keep reminding OE and LA of

their obligation to ship bug-free software, until the patch is on my harddrive,

not before. And I am going to keep asking for a content-patch until someone

from OE or LA tells me it is not going to happen, not before.

With that title you appear to be saying: Shame on you, Kotor community!

Not so. Remember the saying:

Fool me once, shame on you, OE and LA.

Fool me twice, shame on me.

Trumbo

I agree with those that have said that obsidian's reaction has been pretty decent when it comes to acknowledging their mistakes.

I also agree with those that have stated their distaste for the more childish/emo whorish members of the community that come here to flame Obsidian.

So what do we do?

Do we sit back and shut up, showing Lucasarts that all they need to do is keep quiet and wait for the whining to subside before they release another buggy P.O.S?

Do we wait for the mod community to do (what will undoubtedly be) a great job of tying up loose ends, sending a message to publishers "Hey guys, go ahead, work your devs to the bone and then, after all of the divorces and mental disorders that came about due to the 12 month long "CRUNCH TIME", cut anything that might require some polish instead of giving the devs more time and trust those suckers that buy your games to do your work for you!"

Or do we keep criticsizing LA, pointing out problems rationally and concisely?

I think its pretty clear which one i think is best.(Yep, thats right, the comedy fourth option, hunt them down like dogs and kill them, you know me so well! :thumbsup: )

Yea, lets stop the pointless arguing, but dont stop criticsizing LA's handling of the game, otherwise they will continue to release crap until they find something else to leach.

(I can see it now: Grim Fandango: Girls Gone Wild Edition! *shiver*)

I am going to keep reminding OE and LA of

not before.

That's a laugh. For starters, no piece of software is bug-free. That's a utopia. And besides, nobody is forcing you to buy the game. So it's not really an obligation. You are not entitled to flawlessly bug-free software, and if you think you are, you live in self-deceit.

If the game is in an unacceptable state right now, it is your right as a customer to return it and let whoever you bought it from know why you aren't happy. But that's about it. Whining and moaning and harassing the devs on their own boards is not your right.

Let's not confuse things.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Well, people did pay for it and it really doesn't feel nice when you know that you should have gotten something better.

So? That doesn't mean you have a right to anything else other than what you paid for (ie what's in the box) or that from the moment you give your $50 the devs are your personal servants. If you don't like it, return the game and be done with it. :p

KOTOR1 was out awhile before i bought it. By the time I bought the game, the final patch was available and I was unaware of the bugs that were in the original release. I thoroughly enjoyed the game. I bought KOTOR2 on its release date on the strength of KOTOR1. That will not happen again. This game was not worth 50 bucks to me. And I don't care about the reasons why the game was incomplete. What matters to me, is that I gave them ALL 50 of the dollars they asked for and they gave me 3/4ths of what I expect in a game. If there is a KOTOR3, I will not be one of the pre-purchasers. I'll wait on a 30$ price drop. Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice and I'm a jackass.

I am going to keep reminding OE and LA of

not before.

If the game is in an unacceptable state right now, it is your right as a customer to return it and let whoever you bought it from know why you aren't happy. But that's about it. Whining and moaning and harassing the devs on their own boards is not your right.

Let's not confuse things.

You'll find it is you who is mistaken, my young apprentice... :lol:

You'll find it is you who is mistaken, my young apprentice...  :lol:

Well, so far facts back my statements so, whatever. :))

it seems like alot of you are to immature to realize that every game that you play is going to have problems due to time constraints and the parent company wanting to make a quick buck, but you always buy the new games anyways so live with it.

No.

I in no way actually blame Obsidian for anything about the game.  I blame LA for making OE rush a great game.  But oh well, now I have moved on from KotOR to Republic Commando, and then I will move on to Episode 3, and whatever games for Star Wars that come out.

Behold this masterpiece of illogic. First you proceed to take any blame off from those who actually made the game, and place it all on the publisher. Then you state how much you hate LA. Following which, you say you will buy any SW games that come out, no matter how crappy they may be. Yeah, that's pretty coherent. You love to hate LA. :shifty:

Evidently you didn't read everything I wrote in my posts, since I never said I hated LA, I said I blamed LA for rushing OE in the game makin process you nitwit. I also stated the fact of everyone whining about OE releasing the game unfinished and that they "have" to fix it. Once LA puts their foot down, I really don't see how you can change it. maybe a few patches for the comp version but there is no way you are going to get anything better along the XBOX way.

To emphasize my earlier statement on not hating LA, I have thoroughly enjoyed most of their Star Wars games. If you ever learned how to read and tried to not add in your own words to make it seem otherwise you have to be plain retarded.

I just wish everyone would stop blaming OE for having been rushed. LA had the final word in the process so I don't see how OE had been at fault.

you nitwit.

Oh my! Now you have truly hurt my feelings. Perhaps you should quit watching the Flintstones and get back to reality.

If you ever learned how to read and tried to not add in your own words to make it seem otherwise you have to be plain retarded.

I don't need to add my own words, and I haven't. Your posts are inane enough without me adding to the fire. The sooner you accept this sad fact, the better.

I just wish everyone would stop blaming OE for having been rushed.  LA had the final word in the process so I don't see how OE had been at fault.

And that's why you are an idiot. LA didn't rush the game. They simply forced OE to release the game when it was supposed to. Did they give OE a short development time? Sure. But that's what OE agreed to. And since it was OE and not LA who actually made the game, the blame for the game's problems is at least shared equally between the two. I know that four lines of pure logic are a risk to your higher brain functions, as I know you will come back with some more corny insults taken directly from some Hanna-Barbera cartoon, but I'll take the risk. Perhaps it will allow you to actually

GET A CLUE.

I just wish everyone would stop blaming OE for having been rushed.  LA had the final word in the process so I don't see how OE had been at fault.

And that's why you are an idiot. LA didn't rush the game. They simply forced OE to release the game when it was supposed to. Did they give OE a short development time? Sure. But that's what OE agreed to. And since it was OE and not LA who actually made the game, the blame for the game's problems is at least shared equally between the two. I know that four lines of pure logic are a risk to your higher brain functions, as I know you will come back with some more corny insults taken directly from some Hanna-Barbera cartoon, but I'll take the risk. Perhaps it will allow you to actually

GET A CLUE.

You big meanie head. :thumbsup:

Good point. Kotor 2 is a sad proof of 12 month develope cycle.

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.