WHAT makes a great RPG ???

Hexmaster

Every single aspect contributes in some way. But if I had to choose the single thing that hooks me to a RPG (or any game for that matter) and can be enough to make me overlook other flaws, it would be the overall atmosphere. I'm a sucker for involving games.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Ritual Virgin Sacrifice :)

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I removed the poll, with the intent of saying this: This thread doesn't need a poll as the subject matter is far more suited to discussion than a poll, and since these are discussion boards, I'd like to try and keep things in that direction. And then I saw the replies and despaired.

Either this thread moves onto topic proper, or it gets locked.

newlogo.gif

And then I saw the replies and despaired.

That leads to the dark side you know...

But yes, polls in their very nature limits discussion. Like asking, what part of a car is the most important It just begs for silly responses :)

A more serious response (since virgins are such a rare commodity in rpgs):

The ability to "immerse" yourself in that miniature world, building your character, do things you normally wouldn't do, experience places where you (the player) could never go.

Everything else is just tools to facilitate it. Sound, visuals, game mechanics, everything is only of secondary importance. The trick is to get the formula right, sometimes a game succeeds, sometimes it fails. If anybody could figure the pattern out, they would have a hit (qualitywise) everytime.

When you "feel" like you are "there", and your representative in the game is you and you actually "think" inside the game, then it has probably succeeded in creating a roleplaying experience.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

the overall story/characters.

ive been pulled in to games that are perhaps mediocre when it comes to graphics, or gameplay or character creation, but if it has a story that catches my attention i tend to get hooked. plus the more interesting the npc, the more interesting the overall atmosphere seems to be.

but its difficult to just name one thing really. i also like diversity in creating my character, and the ability to play the game different ways.

A combination of gameplay, and story. If either of them suck, the game will suck, is one is good and the other mediocre, then you have a game that I'll like, but likely not replay, if both are good, you have a replayable RPG.

Xenogears is a replayable RPG, excellent gameplay and story(The combat system is the best in any console RPG so far), while its prequel Xenosaga, has a great story, but lacks in gameplay, so while I loved going through it once, I have no desire to do so again, at least until I forget the story.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

The story is the most important aspect of any cRPG. The adventure aspect has to be strong and the plot needs to drag you in. I can't take a game seriously unless I am sucked in by the plot. I can enjoy it, but not take it seriously.

Secondary to this is affecting the gameworld through choices, character creation/evolution, enjoyable combat and rich dialogue.

Every single aspect contributes in some way. But if I had to choose the single thing that hooks me to a RPG (or any game for that matter) and can be enough to make me overlook other flaws, it would be the overall atmosphere. I'm a sucker for involving games.

I

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

A great story, but one that never forgets you are playing a game. Characters which evoke emotion, combat that dosnt bog the game down.

You see, whis is why you can't win with gamers. Especially CRPG fans. I'd say the exact opposite; characters who are engaging but who don't get in the way of the gameplay (Planescape, anyone?) and combat that grabs you by the balls and makes you really have to think. And if that means a turn-based tactics-fest then so be it.

I'd also add that size does matter; I don't like small games. The chance to explore that evokes that "kid in a sweet shop" feeling is also important: what do I do next? Ooh, I wanna do that, and that and that. Cool.

Lastly a hot elf chick/ alien chick/ whatever chick in a chainmail bikini never hurts a great RPG in my humble.

Cheers

MC

sonsofgygax.JPG

A large, interesting and immersive game world does a lot for me. If the game also manages to have a decent story, I'll love it for the rest of my life.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

...wit'out an engaging, well written and well thought out / paced story, you're jus' playing Dia-BLOWS all over again in a different setting...if the story is great, it'll make everything else look better, even when it's lacking somewhat (PS:T's combat, anyone)... ;)

...WHO LUVS YA, BABY!!...

A long, long time ago, but I can still remember,
How the Trolling used to make me smile.
And I knew if I had my chance, I could egg on a few Trolls to "dance",
And maybe we'd be happy for a while.
But then Krackhead left and so did Klown;
Volo and Turnip were banned, Mystake got run out o' town.
Bad news on the Front Page,
BIOweenia said goodbye in a heated rage.
I can't remember if I cried
When I heard that TORN was recently fried,
But sadness touched me deep inside,
The day...Black Isle died.

For tarna, Visc, an' the rest o' the ol' Islanders that fell along the way

You mean besides sex?? :)

Immersion is a big thing for me, though.

However, sex and immersion, in a rpg at the same time, is where I draw the line. :)

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

In my opinion, the best kind of RPG would be one that...

...was nonlinear.

...had a detailed skill based system that was based on your actions.

...had multiple endings, that weren't just good/bad/and whatever.

...had a detailed plot that wasn't just your "save the universe from Mr. Evilguy".

...allowed for multiple playing styles, and moral points of view.

...showed the affects of your actions within the game as you played and not just the ending.

Why do people unnecesarily criticize planescape torments combat?

It was roughly at the same level as baldurs gate 1 and icewind dale 2, and it was much better than the combat in baldurs gate 2, which had the worst combat of the ie games. The only ie game which surpassed pst combat wise was icewind dale 1, which imo has the best combat of any recent rpg.

Why do people unnecesarily criticize planescape torments combat?

It was roughly at the same level as baldurs gate 1 and icewind dale 2, and it was much better than the combat in baldurs gate 2, which had the worst combat of the ie games. The only ie game which surpassed pst combat wise was icewind dale 1, which imo has the best combat of any recent rpg.

I think its mostly because a lot of the combat I feel was only there because the designers were like "If we don't put combat in... it will just be an adventure game"

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

really? i dont know if i agree with that. imo, baldurs gate combat was a)more difficult and b)more of it.

really? i dont know if i agree with that. imo, baldurs gate combat was a)more difficult and b)more of it.

a. baldurs gate had ridiculouslly easy combat. Torment had a lot of tough battles for example the thugs behind the secret door and some of the battles underground.

b. the quantity of combat has absolutely nothing to do with the quality, you are bringing up a completely irrelevant point.