Half Life 2 installation bug

Arkan

I've been getting an error when trying to install HL2, which really irks me. I searched steampowered.com and found this:

Question:

I get this error when I try to install my RETAIL HL2: "error 1335 the cabinet file <something>.cab required for this installation is corrupt and cannot be used."

Answer:

If you are getting an error during the installation of your HL2 cd/dvd please exit the installer and run Steam on it's own. There were changes made to the installer files after the cd/dvds were printed that requires an update from Steam. Once Steam has finished downloading it's update you can exit and run the installer again without recieving the error.

If you continue to receive the errors during installation it could be that your cd/dvd is damage and needs replacing. You should contact VUGames / Sierra and let them know you are having this problem, they are responsible for all Retail CD Media.

http://support.vugames.com

If you are unable to get past this then you should return the package to the store for an exchange.

This does not work.

Now, I can't return the game as I don't have the original receipt, and I can't get a replacement cd for the same reason. Did anyone else have this error and find a way around it? I'd like to play the game, but damn...

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

When you say it doesn't work, what do you mean? Do you mean you installed Steam and let it update and it still gives you that error or that you can't get Steam installed and/or updated? If you updated and it still doesn't work it's likely a defective disk. I guess you'd have to directly contact Vivendi in that case.

Good luck.

When you say it doesn't work, what do you mean?  Do you mean you installed Steam and let it update and it still gives you that error or that you can't get Steam installed and/or updated?  If you updated and it still doesn't work it's likely a defective disk.  I guess you'd have to directly contact Vivendi in that case.

Good luck.

The former.

And Vivendi will charge me 10 dollars for the replacement + shipping. Screw that. I already paid enough for the game.

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

Personally, I'd probably try and get it replaced somewhere. You have nothing to lose and sometimes places like WalMart will do defective exchanges even if you don't have proof you bought it there in the first place. In fact, I know of a guy who took a bunch of unopened XBox games in there and they gave him full store credit value for them without any receipts. So, you never know.

Personally, I'd probably try and get it replaced somewhere.  You have nothing to lose and sometimes places like WalMart will do defective exchanges even if you don't have proof you bought it there in the first place.  In fact, I know of a guy who took a bunch of unopened XBox games in there and they gave him full store credit value for them without any receipts.  So, you never know.

I suppose I could try that. Yes, walmart is known to do things like that.

In fact, I know of a guy who took a bunch of unopened XBox games in there and they gave him full store credit value for them without any receipts.  So, you never know.

God I love Walmart. I took the game there to exchange it, but the didn't have any copies, so they gave me store credit of $59! ;) I just have to go back when they do, and hopefully it will be cheaper so I can get something else while I'm there. ;)

They are trying to put a Super Walmart on the street in from of my condo. Basically it

Life is like a clam. Years of filtering crap then some bastard cracks you open and scrapes you into its damned mouth, end of story.

- Steven Erikson

the real pain is unistalling that piece of **** .. took me an entire night! I swore never to touch it again..

hmm come to think about it I also swore never to play the original again (can't remember why now) must be some kind of Valve-curse on me!

Fortune favors the bald.

The sad thing is there