to all people dameged by intel graphics cards

Umm... I fear of these, man.

I want to know. Why you think this should run in only autosave game?

No offence, really. I have the same problem as you but even I didn't use this "scitech gldirect" I can run it from normal save game (thanks! Kiwegapa!!!!), then get stuck another time in the space station interior on Peragus where I assume there're somekind of visual effect that require openGL1.4, the problem there.... is very like the same old BSoD issue in the intro (T3's vision).

I think, if 'scitech gldirect' should work, then the game should run on that saved game and could run through that space station interior either. That's why I want to know why do you think it's only autosave, please tell me then.

for this I'll send that saved game to you to try this issue. please tell me how can I send it.

Umm... I fear of these, man.

I want to know. Why you think this should run in only autosave game?

No offence, really. I have the same problem as you but even I didn't use this "scitech gldirect" I can run it from normal save game (thanks! Kiwegapa!!!!), then get stuck another time in the space station interior on Peragus where I assume there're somekind of visual effect that require openGL1.4, the problem there.... is very like the same old BSoD issue in the intro (T3's vision).

I think, if 'scitech gldirect' should work, then the game should run on that saved game and could run through that space station interior either. That's why I want to know why do you think it's only autosave, please tell me then.

for this I'll send that saved game to you to try this issue. please tell me how can I send it.

Answering you, that

• 4 weeks later...

If you take a look at other threads in the forum (aswell as LA one) you'll find that it's very unlikely you can run the game right now (I'm sorry, I'm in the same boat). I suggest you to email Intel, as I did, explaining your problem...probably they could come up with a fix like they have done with similar problems, so the more mails they receive the sooner they will check the game.

If you take a look at other threads in the forum (aswell as LA one) you'll find that it's very unlikely you can run the game right now (I'm sorry, I'm in the same boat). I suggest you to email Intel, as I did, explaining your problem...probably they could come up with a fix like they have done with similar problems, so the more mails they receive the sooner they will check the game.

Is there a program to made it run . If there is , please send me it at semray2000@yahoo.com . I have trying to play the game for one month . I am tired . Please Someone help me !!!

Taking into consideration that the first game ran just fine on that chipset, it must be because of some added T&L requirements that makes K2 fail to even start. Now SciTech GLDirect can bring the OpenGL up to 1.4 (for all the good it does), but maybe there is a way to emulate hardware T&L with something like, say, the 3D Analyzer. Make it bypass the initial check.

Hope it is not illegal to discuss such things around here... :ph34r:

Taking into consideration that the first game ran just fine on that chipset, it must be because of some added T&L requirements that makes K2 fail to even start. Now SciTech GLDirect can bring the OpenGL up to 1.4 (for all the good it does), but maybe there is a way to emulate hardware T&L with something like, say, the 3D Analyzer. Make it bypass the initial check.

Hope it is not illegal to discuss such things around here...  :ph34r:

I have done all this but to no avail . I am just stuck at Character Creation . After this it remain blank but there is sound an d it Crashes to desktop . Any other fix would be most welcome

The reason for harware T&L is that doing it in software mode is just way too demanding. It's possible that there is simply an incompatibility with the game that Intel will resolve in a driver update but they can't supplement the lack of hardware support. In all honesty if you do even a small amount of gaming you should get install an agp graphics card. You can pick a 128bit radeon 9550 on newegg for under $70 (or under

The reason for harware T&L is that doing it in software mode is just way too demanding. It's possible that there is simply an incompatibility with the game that Intel will resolve in a driver update but they can't supplement the lack of hardware support.  In all honesty if you do even a small amount of gaming you should get install an agp graphics card.  You can pick a 128bit radeon 9550 on newegg for under $70 (or under

The reason for harware T&L is that doing it in software mode is just way too demanding. It's possible that there is simply an incompatibility with the game that Intel will resolve in a driver update but they can't supplement the lack of hardware support.  In all honesty if you do even a small amount of gaming you should get install an agp graphics card.  You can pick a 128bit radeon 9550 on newegg for under $70 (or under

Star Wars Galaxies is a game that can demand Hardware Texture and lighting; it has thousands of polygons per model, incredibly detailed landscapes, and the possibility of dozens of players with hundreds of different armor configurations.  (too bad that the gameplay is so horrid).

KotOR II, on the other hand, is relatively modest when it comes to graphics.  Furthermore, this is the very same engine as the first game, with minor 'improvements'.

Therefore any feature that 'requires' hardware texture and lighting is simply bad planning and coding, and could have easily been avoided, as software texture and lightning is, by its very nature, capable of everything that hardware is, with the possibility of a large framerate hit if the engine is actually doing vast amounts of hardware texture and lightning.

Since I am able to run about the Ebon Hawk and part of Nar Shadda with no problem with an Intel graphical shipset, it is obvious that the problem is with the artifical restrictions or superfluous graphical effects that were added.  If it is difficult to remedy these problems, then it is due to a lack of research, lack of planning, and lack of testing both the previous game and this one on behalf of Obsidian.  If a game works ona  wide variety of graphical chipsets, you do not improve it by limiting your future customer base, especially since many people will be expecting to be able to run it.

Oh give me (and LEC, Obsidian, and Bioware) a break.

Hardware T&L has been a standard feature on graphics cards since 1999's Geforce 256. That's almost 6 years ago now. If Intel can't be bothered to support things correctly and completely in their integrated graphics, you are going to blame the game developer?

Laptop owners are certainly frustrated to find out that their system has garbage graphics. However, it is their ignorance that is the problem. You are buying high tech electronics and you need to research things before you buy them. Integrated graphics is garbage for gaming, and always has been. It will always be far slower by nature (i.e. it is put there to reduce cost of the overall system, and it has a very strict transistor budget as a result.) Laptop buyers who are gamers must always hunt down discrete graphics if they want a chance at good performance and compatibility with relatively modern games.

KOTOR2's engine was designed around OpenGL 1.4, which is similar to DirectX 8. Intel's Integrated stuff (pre i915) is DX7 at best, DX6 in many cases. Does the game run on a NVidia Riva TNT2 (another DX6 card)? A Matrox G400? An ATi Rage 128? Or maybe a 3dfx Voodoo5 5500? I don't think so. DX7 refers to enhancements that include hardware T&L, and Intel's integrated graphics just emulate HW T&L. So, not only do you lack some real DX7 features, but you are completely void of all DX8 pixel/vertex shading.

BTW, even i915 probably would have issues with the game as 1) it's not supported 2) it's another hackjob DX9-capable chip that's slower than a GFFX 5200. I believe it also lacks hardware vertex shading (sorta programmable T&L) and just emulates it by the CPU.

Granted the engine does a lot of inefficient stuff. Bioware is to blame for that. However, it's definitely not a poor engine and can be pretty stable, as shown by KOTOR1. You can't expect and bitch about your inadequate, accidentally purchased hardware being unable to play a basically state-of-the-art game. READ the damned box please. If your GPU isn't on there, well that's how it is and that's what you bought. Maybe we need little logos instead of text cuz people can't read anymore. Sorta like roadsigns.

Developers aim for the high end of technology available when they start development, figuring that 3 yrs down the road this will be the mid/low range. Intel's Integrated stuff has never been anything but low-end. It's "value added" garbage. Its drivers are buggy too, and its feature set implementation is of questionable quality and speed.

Why didn't Bioware/LucasArts/Obsidian go WAY out of their way to support it? Because most people who end up with integrated Intel graphics aren't gamers and don't give a damn if they can run a fancy Star Wars game or not. They balance their development time and budget to meet the demand as best as possible and working around yet another piece of cheap, poorly supported, buggy hardware was apparently not the way they went.

BTW, Myst 4 supports Intel Integrated, but it also isn't truly 3D. It's still a beautiful game though with amazingly animated scenery. But guess what? Myst is targeted for more casual gamers with more casual systems.

Your points about research and reading the box address the issue, but manage to completely ignore some key facts; The original game worked just fine on integrated intel chipsets. The sequel has essentially the same engine, and still works just fine in certain areas. I have no doubt that it would work well in all areas if the likely pointless and flashy graphical effects they added were able to be turned off.

Furthermore, Integrated chips are not worthless for gaming; I run World of Warcraft just fine on this system; my only problem is a bit of lag on the initial load of crowded cities, but that is due to inevitable graphics load and a sub par hard drive; the chipset itself is quite capable of handling the graphics.

Star Wars has a massive fanbase, with a large crossover with computer users. Not all of those computer users are hardcore gamers, but most of them would probably like to give KotOR a shot, especially if they enjoyed the previous one. Obsidian apparently went out of their way to change the graphics engine NOT to support a large number of chipsets, which as I pointe dout above, shows a lack of research. They simply looked at the technical 'requirements' from the first one, and worked from there, ignoring the fact that a fair percentage of customers from the first game did not meet those requirements, but played for the grace of the previous engine's compatibility.

And for the record; at home I have a 'real' video card, to which I will return in a few weeks, and never need to deal with this issue again. But other people are not so fortunate, and I feel sorry for them and frustrated with obsidian and Lucasarts that this is even an issue. I am sure that any regular poster on the original game's technical support forums could have told them what systems can be jerry-rigged to run the game upon.

You are correct in that users with integrated graphics are not going to be hardcore gamers; but they are also not going to be looking on internet technical support forums for solutions, so the number of peopel complaining here and on the Lucasarts boards is no doubt dwarfed by the people who do not know how or do not have the time to go mucking around trying to work around artifical limitations and problems that they did not have with the first game.

It is reasons such as this that keep pc gaming away from the mainstream, and why consoles are ever growing in market share. Eventually the huge console publishers will arrange exclusivity contracts, or outrigh buy out the popular PC developers, as Microsoft did with Bioware and Bungie, and wind up dumbing down gameplay and features for the console version, and then offering a half-effort port back to the PC, where the game was designed to be in the first place.

Your points about research and reading the box address the issue, but manage to completely ignore some key facts;  The original game worked just fine on integrated intel chipsets.  The sequel has essentially the same engine, and still works just fine in certain areas.  I have no doubt that it would work well in all areas if the likely pointless and flashy graphical effects they added were able to be turned off. ...

Well I'm completely behind you. I think that the biggest part of PC gaming (always has been the biggest prob) is the sheer level of research and learning that the user has to do to understand everything. The high turnover tards at the mega stores almost never have a real clue (they have some weird twisted version of the facts usually, lol). So, people have a REALLY tough time knowing what to buy.

Whether consoles will finally take over: I dunno. It's been said this would happen since the '80s. Has it happened? No. More people are playing games than ever before now days. But, still PCs have very unique titles that can not be done with a console controller. These are the games I care about. Many action titles, and hybrids like KOTOR, can be easily ported though. It does't mean hardcore sims are doomed, or intricate strategy titles are either, etc.

I can see how it would be enormously frustrating for two games with the same engine to suddenly become incompatible with chipsets with a new release. It's understandable that they'd want to add features though. Both games officially support the same chips as far as I know though, which makes the additions accepatable, however. You were lucky that it worked before, but the additions to the engine (of arguable value) have affected that luck. It's sad I agree. If they really added serious appeal, then it'd be different, but it seems that it broke things more than anything else.

If someone is complaining about how their desktop is running it with Intel Integrated that isn't really acceptable to me. You can buy a GF3, GF4, Radeon 8500, Radeon 9000, etc for quite cheap on eBay. PC Gaming has never been cheap, but it's definitely at one of the cheapest levels in history right now. Parts other than the highest-end stuff are very affordable.

Laptops are a bit different because it's almost difficult to get a discrete, capable 3D chip. Most notebooks are sold with integrated graphics to keep those wonderful bottom lines at the bottom for that all important revenue. So, if you have Intel Integrated, well that sucks. But it was going to be a problem eventually.

I dunno what to say other than it is NOT Lucasarts or Obsidian's fault that they wanted to spiff up the engine. Whether they succeeded or not is sorta moot. They certainly wanted to impress, even if it all fell apart. Lol. You just really can't expect a newer title to have the same or lesser requirements than the original which itself didn't officially support your chip either.

Well, at last Intel has tested the game... This is from Intel support web:

"Knights of the Old Republic* II: The Sith Lords game crashes to the desktop shortly after the title screen loads.

This issue has been recently reported and is currently being investigated. There is no workaround at this time. Additional information may be available at the game manufacturer's website