So... to buy or not to buy

I haven't got the game yet, and I've read so many negative posts here and other forums. Is this game worth buying for a KOTOR1 fan? Should I wait for the patch and then buy the game?

As a side note, it seems to be the sad trend with modern computer games. So many of them are released unfinished and ridden with bugs.

I haven't got the game yet, and I've read so many negative posts here and other forums. Is this game worth buying for a KOTOR1 fan? Should I wait for the patch and then buy the game?

Unless you have a problematic graphics card - e.g. ATI whose OpenGL drivers are *still* notoriously poor - I'd say go out and get it ASAP. Despite a few flaws it is an excellent game and even more engrossing than KotOR I. If you are a KotOR fan then you don't really have a choice. :D

If you make named saves whenever you land on a planet/station and quick-save judiciously during play then there should be little trouble. There are two problems that I have encountered:

(1) swoop-racing doesn't work right on the PC

(2) crossing map/area boundaries or triggering a cutscene will drop you out of Stealth mode, and in some cases it will teleport the rest of your party to where the controlled character is

The first isn't terribly important and the second is manageable if you know about it (quick-save heartily).

Wait for the patch, then buy it (hopefully it takes care of most of the bugs). Then when you played it, read the "Cut ending stuff"-thread in the spoilers forum. And after that, go and sign the petition, which can also be found in the spoilers forum.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Wait for the patch, then buy it (hopefully it takes care of most of the bugs). Then when you played it, read the "Cut ending stuff"-thread in the spoilers forum. And after that, go and sign the petition, which can also be found in the spoilers forum.

... ;)

Lou Gutman, P.I.- It's like I'm not even trying anymore!
http://theatomicdanger.iforumer.com/index....theatomicdanger

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.

... ;)

The path of enlightment is never easy :)

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Haha ;)

Lou Gutman, P.I.- It's like I'm not even trying anymore!
http://theatomicdanger.iforumer.com/index....theatomicdanger

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.

Unless you have a problematic graphics card - e.g. ATI whose OpenGL drivers are *still* notoriously poor - I'd say go out and get it ASAP. Despite a few flaws it is an excellent game and even more engrossing than KotOR I. If you are a KotOR fan then you don't really have a choice. 

I have an ATI Graphics Card and I have yet to encounter a problem with it. :)

Get it. You might be lucky and not run into any bugs. And don't pay too much attention to the negative posts. IMO the pros offset the cons by far.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Unless you have a problematic graphics card - e.g. ATI whose OpenGL drivers are *still* notoriously poor - I'd say go out and get it ASAP. Despite a few flaws it is an excellent game and even more engrossing than KotOR I. If you are a KotOR fan then you don't really have a choice. 

I have an ATI Graphics Card and I have yet to encounter a problem with it. :)

Knock on wood then, you're lucky. I played KotOR I on an ATI card (9800XT) and did not have any problems either, except choppiness when there was smog on the screen. However, I switched to nVIDIA because I hated the general swapping around of driver versions or even mixing parts of different versions according to which game I wanted to play. And from what I heard that still seems pretty much state of the art with ATI cards today - just look in the tech forums of the games you play. So if you own an ATI card then you're in general better off browsing the tech support forums before plunking down money for a game. The situation is even worse with notebook chips because these often cannot be used with generic reference drivers and the update frequency for notebook graphics chip drivers seems to be about once per year.

I've got an ATI X800, had one crash in three playthroughs. I wouldn't put a lot of stock in what you hear on forums. People are far more likely to cry about something than praise it. End result, negativity is always a "popular" trend. Buy the game.

Buy it, then wait for the patch and start playing the second it's out :)

The game is great, so you should play it. You could probably play through the game now and still have a very good time. But lots of bugs do detract from the experience more than waiting a few weeks as far as I can see. So I would wait.

The actual game is great.

Whether or not you'll be able to play seems like a hit or miss chance. Some people (like myself) plays through the game twice and encounter 1 (one) crash. Other can't seem to get the game started at all.

It probably depends very much on your hardware and software configuration. It might be the chipset, it might be overclocking, it might be crappy drivers that doesn't behave quite as specified in the standards, it might be...

Ask yourself, was your system designed for speed, price, compatibility etc. ?

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Don't pay much attention to fan reviews. They're always biased one way or the other. Either the fanboys will be saying that it's the greatest game ever made in the history of mankind, or they'll be proclaiming it to be the "Worst. Game. Ever." With sequels and media tie-ins it's usually the latter. Hate's cool apparently.

KOTOR fanboys complain about bugs, but I think they're looking at the original through rose-colored filters. The fact is that unpatched KOTOR was far worse bug-wise than KOTOR 2.

Thank you all for your replies. Seeing as the patch is on its way, I'll wait for it and then buy the game. It's alright, i've got tons of other brilliant games to be occupied with. :D

Good man. :(

I mean if you've waited this long, you may as well wait a little longer for a more polished product (hopefully).

manthing2.jpg

Patch is in progression (No matter when it'll release.)

so if your machine meets the minimum requirement or better...

It's worth to risk, man! Got and buy it!!!

Beware old ATI or onboard cards. Painful issue happen with them.