I don't FEEL evil

Is it just me, or does anyone else just not "feel evil" while trying to be a corrupted, conniving, Dark Side meany? The "evil" conversation choices just make me feel like I'm being petulant and snotty, rather than a cold, black-hearted, manipulative Dark Jedi. Does anyone else feel that way? Currently, I'm not enjoying being evil because the game makes me feel like a 12 year old having a bratty, rebellious tantrum.

Darth Petulant

i felt like that some times. usually when i was talking to the old lady *can't remember her name*

That would be Kreia. I thought ds was not so good. But I guess when in the first game you get a chance to cut your NPCs up, this time you just be ignorant to them.

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Jaguars4ever is still alive.  No word of a lie.

i felt like that some times. usually when i was talking to the old lady *can't remember her name*

That would be Kreia. I thought ds was not so good. But I guess when in the first game you get a chance to cut your NPCs up, this time you just be ignorant to them.

In my opinion, what would make the SW RPG experience better when playing DS would be if you could target and initialize violence at ANY TIME ON ANY ONE.

In other words, hit a button that has a function reserved ONLY for DS Players and it targets anyone you want be it a friendly NPC (Party Member), or lets say a common by-stander if you are on a planet and want to mug them for cash for example. Your NPC companions would then react to your actions as people would in real life (favorably or disapprovingly).

I think games like GTA (Grand Theft Auto) actually give you more of a sense of being an "evil" person in this regard because you can just start beating up, shooting or killing innocent people in the streets for money if you want as well as do other wanton acts of (senseless) violence and destruction (carjack cars; steal motorcycles; etc) that gives you a sense of true freedom compared to the KOTOR games in that respect.

I realize that the game would have to be even more closely scripted than it already is to account for the fact that let's say, you decide to kill Atton while on Peragus (the first level of the game)... But actually, it is just another alternative in terms of a branching storyline (A or B; If choose A then C or D; etc.) and while that would exponentionally double the storylines and sidequests for every party member NPC and the driving narrative overall... I think this is where RPGs are (should) be heading with real, emergent gameplay that isn't so scripted and actually gives the player ultimate freedom to really choose their own destiny.

Just my two cents...

I think games like GTA (Grand Theft Auto) actually give you more of a sense of being an "evil" person in this regard because you can just start beating up, shooting or killing innocent people in the streets for money if you want as well as do other wanton acts of (senseless) violence and destruction (carjack cars; steal motorcycles; etc) that gives you a sense of true freedom compared to the KOTOR games in that respect.

grand theft auto "evil" is thug evil. true evil masterminds (such as what someone like palpatine is supposed to be) wouldnt just start randomly beating someone with a shovel just because he wanted to be "evil".

grand theft auto "evil" is thug evil. true evil masterminds (such as what someone like palpatine is supposed to be) wouldnt just start randomly beating someone with a shovel just because he wanted to be "evil".

True.

BUT we are talking within the confines of a game here. There is only so much subtrafuge and conniving one can do before it just turns into the same thing that we are discussing:

I can be nice to an NPC or treat them like a petulant child?

That's not much of an "evil" in terms of gameplay. However... If I could do physical harm to them, that would be the "ultimate" evil given the gameplay mechanics and what we are currently restricted to and that is the reason why I brought up GTA in that respect.

I felt alot more evil in Kotor 1 than in 2.

In 1 it was so straight forward being evil, and you felt it.

But in 2, you keep thinking about influence, and bein evil just pissed sum othrer characters off, and i think it would've been easier being good in 2 than in 1 !!

My 2p worth!!

Grimlock

"In other words, hit a button that has a function reserved ONLY for DS Players"

That's just dumb. Why restrict it so? Just have it if a LS PC goes around wacking everything that moves; they fall to the DS. That seems the more logical choice.. <>

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

I liked the DS options much better in TSL; it was less thugish, and wasn't so psycopathic-I'm-a-meglomaniac-trying-to-take-over-the-world, especially considering that in KotOR 1 you killed almost all your friends if they didn't, "KNEEL!". Sheesh. Just because you are evil doesn't mean you are a cookie-cutter villian, and TSL didn't pass you off as one.

My only disappointment, really, was that several of the DS options involved you shooting yourself in the foot to various degrees, such as wanting to end a threat to the galaxy that wishes to kill you (the Sith) and ultimatly destroy the seat of your power (the Force), and gaining LS points for it, but this is inevitable in video game no matter what for the most part, given the limits of AI.

I'll have to agree with those who think K2 has better DS than K1; those complaints are how I felt after finishing K1 DS. K2 definitely improved in that area.

Still, I like the suggestions about having more leeway in who and when to attack, though how to feasibly implement that is another issue. My DS character wanted to Force Choke Lt Grenn so bad. And slamming down Atris goes without saying; how dare she keep my property from me.

I liked being evil. Especially killing the Jedi Masters... :)

The only problem was that I couldn't take the Dark Path on Onderon, because of some dialogue choice I made somewhere, so I had to confront Kavar on Dantooine, which felt just as good, I suppose.

I REALLY liked Force Persuading the thugs on Nar Shadaa to jump into the pit. :(:devil:

Geekified Star Wars Geek

Heart of the Force, Arm of the Force

"Only a Sith deals in absolutes!"

-Obi-wan to Anakin (NOT advocating Grey-Jedidom)

"The Force doesn't control people, Kreia controls people."

I REALLY liked Force Persuading the thugs on Nar Shadaa to jump into the pit.  :)  :(

Was that really evil? They had it coming by demanding money you never owed them in the first place!

I would have prefered an option for attacking any neutral object or person much like you could do in Baldur's Gate etc. My first target would have been... that bloody f*cking remote! Getting that thing the f*ck out the way permanently was something I truly craved!

Is it just me, or does anyone else just not "feel evil" while trying to be a corrupted, conniving, Dark Side meany?  The "evil" conversation choices just make me feel like I'm being petulant and snotty, rather than a cold, black-hearted, manipulative Dark Jedi.  Does anyone else feel that way?  Currently, I'm not enjoying being evil because the game makes me feel like a 12 year old having a bratty, rebellious tantrum.

Darth Petulant

I have a kind of similar problem. Its not that I feel petulant and snotty vs. cold and manipulative.

Its that I, in general, am a good person, and being evil just doesn't come naturally.

I had the same trouble playing KotOR 1. Out of my 7 games, I was onlyevil twice (see signature).

I REALLY liked Force Persuading the thugs on Nar Shadaa to jump into the pit.  :-  :devil:

Was that really evil? They had it coming by demanding money you never owed them in the first place!

'Course it was evil.

Don't you know? You can carve a path of bloody destruction through an entire army with a light saber, but if you use one lightning bolt or convince your foes to shoot themselves, then you are eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeevil.

I felt more manipulative than I ever did in K1.

I don't agree thier could have been alot more oportunities to be manipulative, it was an improvement but it still was a little poopr. I really enjoyed the interaction you have with one of the mercs on Dantooine where you piss him off then convince him through the force to give you his gun and his money. post-1139-1109541670.gif

Most of the time you either let them go or killed them. I would have liked more chances to do things like what i have described above and also what you do to the czerca officer on Tatooine in k1.

I think you should also be able to make npcs do thing for you, like rob/beat people up or get/steel things for you, instead of you always doing the leg work.

Another great idea by the people who brought you beer milkshakes!

"I don't see a problem...then again, SW isn't my life, so what do I know...." - some who makes 27.8 post per day on a SW forum!

I thought that being evil didn't have the pay off it deserved. I think there should be something that clearly tempts you to do the unethical. If you got a choice between helping in a good way and causing someones death, yet both instances have more or less the same pay-off, then why would anyone choose for the second? It has to either pay more or be much more easier to be evil then to be good.

If that isn't the case then you're simply being evil for the sake of being evil, and that's just stupid.

Possible spoilers

When I finished the game as DS, it just wasn't as satisfying as the LS character - that's if I role-played as a psychotic killer! Firstly (don't know if this is a bug) but I never was able to complete HK-47 so I never got him as a party member, even though I got him mid-game as LS (probably a bug). Secondly, since I'm role-playing as a psychotic killer, I don't really listen to people and *since* talking to Kreia is the way of finding out how the game resolves, *not* talking to her results in you being rewarded with a cutscence of Kreia being tossed into Malachor V and then the camera panning to the universe. THE END (this is a major reason why they should've done the ending better. I'm not even sure if the cut endings would've helped KOTOR2 in this regard.)

It's because the game - the NPC's and the overall direction of the plot - still judges you for being dark side. It's sort of a "tut tut you've been bad" thing that was also in KOTOR 1. YOur made to feel like scum for being bad, when a true dark sdider wouldn't feel this way at all, even if they were...