lunar shadow, etc

In that case, it's also equally preposterous that Galactic Basic be the English language or that humans even exist in a galaxy far, far away. [sarcasm on] What the hell were those sloppy, uncreative, insipid developers at Obsidian thinking? Jesus Christ! [sarcasm off]

Lunar shouldn't exist in a galaxy far far away? How do you feel about "Luke" as a name? How can it exist in a galaxy far far away? How can Humans exist in a galaxy far far away? :p:p I'll tell you how! It's all fantasy! That's how. It's all make believe. ;) Use your imagination. :) Can you accept that teddy bears were instrumental in defeating the Empire? I can. I suspended my beliefs in reality. Maybe I am more crazy for it. But I can also get past a twin brother and sister making out.

So in conclusion, nevermind what I just said. Save yourselves. :p:lol:

Actually, for the most part, the films (the first three at least, the others may have been alittle bit more lax.) have avoided stuff like that in general. eg. "You don't want to sell me death sticks." I seem to recall that was a deliberate design decision on George's part.

In that case, it's also equally preposterous that Galactic Basic be the English language or that humans even exist in a galaxy far, far away. [sarcasm on] What the hell were those sloppy, uncreative, insipid developers at Obsidian thinking? Jesus Christ! [sarcasm off]

yes but those don't affect the suspension of disbelief. No one in Star Wars claims to be speaking "english", they speak Galactic Common which had been dubbed into english for an english speaking audience. If Han Solo came on screen and said, 'i wish Jabba would just speak english' then I would agree with you.

similarly, referring to some species as 'human' is just a translation of whatever galactic common term is actually used. In that same way we see the use of words like 'falcon' and 'dragon' even though in the Star Wars universe those terms only mean approximately what they do in the real world.

the 'human' characters in Star Wars aren't actually human of course. Han Solo for example is a Corellian. He looks human enough that through translation we get away with calling him 'human'.

And as far as the name Luke is concerned, there's only so many four letter combinations possible, so it isn't that hard to believe that some phonetics would end up being mirrored across different cultures. It happens on earth all the time.

The Lunar Shadow thing is unacceptable because it's as glaring as calling a ship the 'Saturn Shadow' or the 'Jupiter Shadow' in the Star Wars universe.

Well, there's only so many five letter combinations you can go through eventually. Plus, lunar is related to any moon, doesn't have to be our own. It is also used to mean silver. Plus, they could have a planet, moon, or asteroid called Lunar since there are billions of them.

It hardly damages the sense of disbelief since its one thing that doesn't require you to use a sense of disbelief anyway.

I still reckon this could be a very sly lucas homage.

Lunar Shadow = Moon Shadow.

Shadow Moon was the book sequel that Lucas co-wrote to the film Willow (which of course was a Lucas film starring Warrick Davis.)

yes but those don't affect the suspension of disbelief. No one in Star Wars claims to be speaking "english", they speak Galactic Common which had been dubbed into english for an english speaking audience. If Han Solo came on screen and said, 'i wish Jabba would just speak english' then I would agree with you.

similarly, referring to some species as 'human' is just a translation of whatever galactic common term is actually used. In that same way we see the use of words like 'falcon' and 'dragon' even though in the Star Wars universe those terms only mean approximately what they do in the real world.

the 'human' characters in Star Wars aren't actually human of course. Han Solo for example is a Corellian. He looks human enough that through translation we get away with calling him 'human'.

And as far as the name Luke is concerned, there's only so many four letter combinations possible, so it isn't that hard to believe that some phonetics would end up being mirrored across different cultures. It happens on earth all the time.

The Lunar Shadow thing is unacceptable because it's as glaring as calling a ship the 'Saturn Shadow' or the 'Jupiter Shadow' in the Star Wars universe.

Hold on. Are you saying that Luke isn't unusual because phonetics can be mirrored across different culturers, yet the word Lunar cannot be mirrored across different cultures? And that while every other word in Galactic Basic is not actually English but a dub translation, "Lunar" is an actual English word used in Galactic Basic and not an English translation of its approximation in Galactic Basic? I'm afraid your logic eludes me.

Hawk! Eggplant! AWAKEN!

Hold on. Are you saying that Luke isn't unusual because phonetics can be mirrored across different culturers, yet the word Lunar cannot be mirrored across different cultures? And that while every other word in Galactic Basic is not actually English but a dub translation, "Lunar" is an actual English word used in Galactic Basic and not an English translation of its approximation in Galactic Basic? I'm afraid your logic eludes me.

Fair enough, my logic needs some more explaining. It goes like this, a word like 'luke' used as the name of a character, and I'm not saying that I agree with calling the character 'luke', but be that as it may, is pretty easily explainable as a phonetic coincidence. Now, you're saying, and a few other people have said, that 'lunar' could be just as easily a similar phonetic coincidence. And that's true, it could be. My argument is that given the choice between coming up with an original name, or using a name already present in the Star Wars universe, and transplanting a name from the real world that has real world significance, I would recommend the former as being more in line with creating a believable Star Wars story line. As I implied previously, writers could start using all kinds of real astological names for Star Wars locations. Maybe KOTOR 3 will feature planets called 'Saturn' and 'Mars', but I hope not, it just damages the believability of the genre.

Ok, if you're imagining that "Luke" is a stand-in for whatever alien word, let's say @#$()*U , which is really his name, just imagine that "Lunar" is just a translation of DKJDSH!!!!1111111111 which actually means "of or pertaining to a minor celestial body in orbit of a larger body", with that definition translated from "SDJDSH sdkfjhy SJKUREUY lksdjf WOEURIOUWERIH sdjkfnkjn OWIEJROIJ" or whatever that language is you want to posit, of course..... Then we're all happy, and you can let this thread die, and go back to hunting small animals with pointy sticks, standing in your bathtub wearing flippers and a snorkel, or whatever the hell you do when you feel like you need to invest your life with some shred of meaning....

Ok, if you're imagining that "Luke" is a stand-in for whatever alien word, let's say @#$()*U , which is really his name, just imagine that "Lunar" is just a translation of DKJDSH!!!!1111111111 which actually means "of or pertaining to a minor celestial body in orbit of a larger body", with that definition translated from "SDJDSH sdkfjhy SJKUREUY lksdjf WOEURIOUWERIH sdjkfnkjn OWIEJROIJ" or whatever that language is you want to posit, of course.....  Then we're all happy, and you can let this thread die, and go back to hunting small animals with pointy sticks, standing in your bathtub wearing flippers and a snorkel, or whatever the hell you do when you feel like you need to invest your life with some shred of meaning....

What was that all about? Feel free to disagree, but when you start tossing insults it sounds like you're trying to start a flame war.

Speaking of improper naming, did anyone else notice the thug on Nar Shadaa (across the hall from the Mandalorians) who was labelled -- I think it was 'gran' thug, when he is clearly a Mallastarian?