Help!

Hi, I just found out how to get OpenGL and I got it. :p

But now the scan says I have a warning on two things RAM and video. I started to play the game, the wierd thing is that some of the stoff is like miniturized and put in the top left corner. (I looked for the openGL Thing to change it but its not there, weird) OK now wenever I play the game the screen goes black (I can't play movies anymore, also werid) and shrinks so I can see about 1/3 of my desktop. It just stays black and I have to Cntrol Alt Delete it. its really strange, I have no reds on my hardware/software scan

Any help would be apriciated

-(my name isn't ben wasn't thinking then) David

Um, you say you just got opengl - how exactly did you go about getting it?  It is installed with your graphics drivers.  What graphics card do you have, and what driver version are you running on it?

Okay, I got opengl from a driver, correct. I have an Intel video card. I went to Intel.com and downloaded the most recent driver I'm not paticularly sure what driver version I got, but my graphics card is intel 82865G, or intel extreme graphics 2. so thats pretty much it

still on black out, ive restarted reinstalled reeverything.

thanks for trying to help

David

I hate to say it, but an Intel graphics chipset won't do for KOTOR 2 or several other modern games. I really recommend you purchase an ATI or nVidia graphics card. Both are very good, although nVidia works best with KOTOR 2.

Intel graphics are intended for websurfing and office work. They are NOT good 3D chipsets and do NOT handle games well. Sorry.

The bonus is that if you should have the ability to add a video card to your computer, pretty much ANY new video card will increase your performance dramatically.

Physically it may be possible to run the game on that graphics chip - there have been reports from other people who've got it working. Drivers seem to effect onboard graphics cards a lot, so try older versions of the same driver. It won't be a qucik process, but it may help, Intel's drivers can be very dodgy with games.

Longterm if you play more than very occasionally you really should upgrade to a full graphics card (unless you have a laptop). It will make a massive difference. What kind of spec is the rest of your machine?

Physically it may be possible to run the game on that graphics chip - there have been reports from other people who've got it working.  Drivers seem to effect onboard graphics cards a lot, so try older versions of the same driver.  It won't be a qucik process, but it may help, Intel's drivers can be very dodgy with games.

Longterm if you play more than very occasionally you really should upgrade to a full graphics card (unless you have a laptop).  It will make a massive difference.  What kind of spec is the rest of your machine?

'Thanks for the suggestion, I was thnking a ATI Radeon 8500 Video Card, should I get a 128 MB or just a 64 MB chip. ALso another intresting thing is that I went to lucasarts and I meet the minimum requirements... Shouldn't I be able to play the game, no matter how low my performance is? Also, I was thinking, that Patch needs to really fix up some bugs. Theoretically, I SHOULD be able to play that game on minimum performance, right? I think i just have done maybe something wrong because I do have the requierments. It should be physically possible, anyway, if one of you could tell me the better chip to get, whether it be for price or money, I would be eternally grateful. Also, where can I buy or what can I buy to boost my low RAM?

oh, and also, I'm not really in touch with computer lingo, lol, what does Spec mean?

Thanks for all the help so far

-David

It depends how much do you want to spend for your video card. If you want to play mostly OpenGL games such as... hu... the Bioware's and Id's, you should avoid Ati, their OpenGL performances are quite poor compared to the nVIDIA. Anyway, you should find something like a Radeon 9600 Pro/Xt or a GeForce FX 5700 Ultra for about 100

It depends how much do you want to spend for your video card. If you want to play mostly OpenGL games such as... hu... the Bioware's and Id's, you should avoid Ati, their OpenGL performances are quite poor compared to the nVIDIA. Anyway, you should find something like a Radeon 9600 Pro/Xt or a GeForce FX 5700 Ultra for about 100

It will be quite hard to find something correct at these prices. The chips mentionned in my previous post should be available in your price range.

Anyway, they should be fine for nowadays games, not next year's (Aoh, don't worry if Deus Ex Invisible War is lagging or have a poor framerate, it's engine is a big piece of crap).

It will be quite hard to find something correct at these prices. The chips mentionned in my previous post should be available in your price range.

Anyway, they should be fine for nowadays games, not next year's (Aoh, don't worry if Deus Ex Invisible War is lagging or have a poor framerate, it's engine is a big piece of crap).

I know, it gets me sick how people want to be up to date and the game makers make you buy a 500$ card just so you can play new games. I have to give it to KOTOR 2 to makeing the system req minimum. I can theroetically play the game, very commendable for a new game. but the thing is, What is the best solution to buying a card? go for it and buy the ultra card, or buy a low one and play the non-super graphics sequels/games?

Also, I still need some help on my problem, do u think the patch will fix it up?

thanks for advice

David

Your computer is actually quite reasonable (minus the onboard graphics), and would support anything up to a geforce 6600gt without a problem. $50 is a a very tight budget, and I can honestly say that I can't recommend a decent card for that price. If that's your limit though, you're looking at either the GeFroce FX5200 or the ATI Radeon 9250 (avoid the mx4000 and the 9200se). With either card though, make sure that you giet the 128bit version (don't confuse this with 128 megs of memory) as that will give you better perfromance. I'm not sure how familiar you are with your pc, but you might want to actually check that your motherboard has an agp slot, or you'll have to get a pci graphics card.

Have a look round and post some links (assuming the forum doesn;t get closed down) and we'll take a look at the cards for you. I must say that if you can find some extra money you would get much better value from a 9600 or a 5700.

I know, it gets me sick how people want to be up to date and the game makers make you buy a 500$ card just so you can play new games. I have to give it to KOTOR 2 to makeing the system req minimum. I can theroetically play the game, very commendable for a new game. but the thing is, What is the best solution to buying a card? go for it and buy the ultra card, or buy a low one and play the non-super graphics sequels/games?

Also, I still need some help on my problem, do u think the patch will fix it up?

thanks for advice

David

Well, you don't have to have 500$ to play this game. But you do have to have a card that supports ogl 1.4.

In any case, you probably will have to buy one if you want to play (or buy the xbox version). There are no magic drivers that will give an onboard card 1.4ogl.

Hi,

I am one of those poor people looking in vain to find a way to get the game to work (thru the first cut scene will do) on an intel 82865g, with this open gl the main issue. If anyone shud stumble across a way or has any advice for me it wud be really appreciated. Maybe intel will update their game compatibility list with the game and some help soon....

Cheers, James. (w00t)

@zaqxsw Try updating to latest version of the driver on the Intel site. If that doesn;t work, try going through the earlier versions. People have got it working in the past, so it may just need a particular driver. Failing that, the patch may help. Either way, don't expect to play it on high settings or with anything resembling decent perfromance :)