What is Obsidian upto?

Looking Ahead

Chris Parker: Obsidian Entertainment has always planned to be a two-project studio. We could even go to three at some point, but we don't have any desire to grow bigger than that. We are even worried about three projects - we enjoy the unity and closeness of having less than 50 people. Everybody knows each other, we hang out together, and LAN gaming is super sweet.

But to address the two-project thing, we have been working on NWN2 for several months, and are currently seeking our third project with a number of publishers. That is something we'd like to start in January or February of 2005.

It's almost March so if the plan worked out they are busily doing the third game at this very moment.

Considering what is out there what do you think the third project is ?

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

Considering what is out there what do you think the third project is ?

MYSTARY! :thumbsup:

I think(I have no proof what so ever) that it is their own game and not a sequel. Hmm, if it would be sequel they would not need to find a publisher, right? Because someone would already own the rights to that product. This is a quite thin line of reasoning... :devil:

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

Ah I miss the LAN gaming at work. We used to do it here, but once our lead programmer was fired that all changed. Ah, all those memories of countless of hours of counterstrike and Red Alert 2 after work. Sad. :thumbsup:

Anyway considering the kotor teams is doing patches for the game it looks like they will be available soon to work on something else. Obviously not everyone is working on NWN2. As to what it is, I have no idea. For some reason, though, I find it unlikely that they would be creating a new game using their own IP. SP iF your thinking it

Life is like a clam. Years of filtering crap then some bastard cracks you open and scrapes you into its damned mouth, end of story.

- Steven Erikson

KOTOR III is possible, though in the same interview they said they would want it to be a "new" game. New engine , new rules etc.

Part of me says that the best thing to do would be to tie up KOTOR on the Xbox...

And part of me says that KOTOR III would be an Xbox II flagship title..

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

Part of me says that the best thing to do would be to tie up KOTOR on the Xbox...

And part of me says that KOTOR III would be an Xbox II flagship title..

the part of me that is cheap (which accounts for about 99% of me) wants it to be on the xbox, since i dont have the cash needed to dish out for xbox 2.

the part of me that is cheap (which accounts for about 99% of me) wants it to be on the xbox, since i dont have the cash needed to dish out for xbox 2.

:):wub:

If I were them and I had the game I would want to wrap it up on the Xbox but at the same time negotiate a new trilogy on the next gens..

Knights of the not so old Republic maybe :lol: :cool:

478327[/snapback]

Obsidian is proud to announce:

Project : Old knights of the Republic.

Imagine a party of old Mandalorians, a few Jolee Bindo style Jedi's, a T3 that now *is* all rusty and worn down and a protagonist who didn't have amnesiac, but is now starting to lose his memory. Randomly has to repeat dialogue, randomly doing critical fumbles when fighting etc.

I'm probably hoping more for some Post Apocalyptic game or another title that will allow them to recycle some of their previous ideas and concepts that hasn't made it into a released game yet (I can't say the 'J' word, then Ramza will be all over the place).

:wub:

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

My quarter, the only money I currently have, says KOTOR3 or BG3 (yah right). However, I'd like Obs. to do their own thing - maybe make an RPG that's either Sci-Fi or historical or historical fantasy. Mmm. It tastes like not following the fantasy trend.

Fnord.

I'd wager it be KOTOR3. If not, it likely be a new Ip by them....

if kotor3 is a direct continuation of kotor2, then i hope more than anything that obsidian is doing it. since they created the story for kotor2, theyre likely to have the best grasp of how kotor3 should play out.

if kotor3 isnt a direct continuation, then it would be interesting to see obsidian do an original ip.

F.U. has hinted in the past by the third game to do their own IP .... he has also entertained the idea of doing IWD3. KOTOR3 is rumored .... BG3 has been rumored . alot of 3 titles there to one IP hummmmm .

Would be nice to know what they're working on or have on the shelf to be announced for the third game.

what's FU up to? Haven't seen him post here in a long time, not that I'm here a lot. He used to post quite a bit when the boards started and until NWN2 was first announced.

Just curious on his silence, so to speak. :-"

I seriously doubt that Kotor 3 will be on the current XBox. If you look at the release schedules, there is very little past the middle of this year planned for the XBox. All signs point to MS telling developers to switch to XBox 2 development sometime last year.

As for what Obsidian is up to, my guess would be Kotor 3.

Obsidian needs their own IP. They have too much potential to be a sequel / bioware 2 studio. While Kotor 2 being a good game I can't take no more Aurora engine stuff or 3/3.5 D&D rules. It's about time for something new, preferably a non-linear, turnbased Sci-Fi-RPG.

rumors floating around about kotor3, but until i hear something about that, i wont believe it.

but i wouldnt doubt theyve started work on their third title, whatever it may be, and will announce it at e3.

Obsidian isn't attending this years e3 -_-

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

My personal feeling is that it's something that will come out prior to NwN II to pay the bills.

Unless you think they are doing a K2 expansion, I don't see how you could really think that, time wise. NWN2 is slated to hit in Q2 '06. That would be, iirc, a tighter dev cycle than K2.

I'd bet the third game is a new IP that is meant for X-mas '06 or shortly there after.

K3 will follow

thats my guess

rumors floating around about kotor3, but until i hear something about that, i wont believe it.

but i wouldnt doubt theyve started work on their third title, whatever it may be, and will announce it at e3.

Obsidian isn't attending this years e3 :blink:

...they aren't?

Isn't that one of the only redeeming things about working in the Gaming Industry...LAN gaming aside. I mean, FFS, they're in IRVINE!!! They could DRIVE there.

Obsidian isn't attending this years e3 ;)

...they aren't?

Isn't that one of the only redeeming things about working in the Gaming Industry...LAN gaming aside. I mean, FFS, they're in IRVINE!!! They could DRIVE there.

I think there's two reasons:

1. If they're doing KotOR III, then Lucasarts will do the PR like last years e3.

2. They aren't doing KotOR III, or a new IP for that matter. And NWN2 is still too early in development to show off to the general public.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Even if Obsidian doesn't have their own booth, they will still be showing off NWN2 stuff at the Atari booth - and who knows, maybe stuff at the Lucasarts booth as well. I read one of the many posts on the NWN2 forums asking for screenshots, where a dev said something about E3 being big for them this year and there would be lots of NWN2 goodies, and then he said something about how maybe even a screen would come out prior to E3- I can't seem to find that post now though - my God there are a lot of posts to wade through on that forum, oh well. But, unless things have changed, there will be NWN2 screens by E3, and Obsidian folks will be there..somewhere....maybe wearing Atari t-shirts

....Ok I found the post by Brian Lawson:

"...Seriously though...we want to show some shots just as bad as you guys want to see them. It's not up to us, but we're pushing for something pre-E3 if that helps. Although at this point, E3 is really not that far away. But hey, we'll all take what we can get...right?.."

So E3 it is

....Ok I found the post by Brian Lawson:

"...Seriously though...we want to show some shots just as bad as you guys want to see them. It's not up to us, but we're pushing for something pre-E3 if that helps. Although at this point, E3 is really not that far away. But hey, we'll all take what we can get...right?.."

So E3 it is

Cool, honestly I wasn

Life is like a clam. Years of filtering crap then some bastard cracks you open and scrapes you into its damned mouth, end of story.

- Steven Erikson