Make a website, you bum!!

Kaftan Barlast

I was just minding my own bussiness, enjoying K2 when suddenly my dad bursts in and declares that he has bought a domain and it is now my task to build a website for his company. If this had been 1997 I would have said "Shure, be done in a week!" but time has run away from my meager skills, far away too. I havent got a clue about anything beyond regular HTML

I could make something prehistoric using wordpad but I have a feeling that wont be good enough so Im asking if anyones got any tips of freeware programs or stuff that I can use? Preferably something that uses alot of templates.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

most hardcore web guru's that I know still use notepad to do most of their stuff, then they take it into a more expensive program when they are adding things like flash or slideshows, etc.

I suggest working with your meagar skills first, check out some websites that have more codes than what you are use to. www.w3schools.com is a good place to get some tutorials on building websites.

I used Frontpage for mine. You can do all sorts of stuff much faster than coding it, and if you find any code you want to implement manually just switch to HTML mode and it has a basic text editor.

Then I realized that my website didn't have the content that justified all the work I was putting into it so I just switched over to Blogger because updating with that is real easy.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Frontpage isn't freeware to the best of my knowledge.

The other option for getting software is to check for places that provide academic prices on software. IF you are using them just for learning, then everything is fine. IF you are planning on using it to make money on the other hand, is a bigger problem.

I was just minding my own bussiness, enjoying K2 when suddenly my dad bursts in and declares that he has bought a domain and it is now my task to build a website for his company. If this had been 1997 I would have said "Shure, be done in a week!" but time has run away from my meager skills, far away too. I havent got a clue about anything beyond regular HTML

I could make something prehistoric using wordpad but I have a feeling that wont be good enough so Im asking if anyones got any tips of freeware programs or stuff that I can use? Preferably something that uses alot of templates.

Basically anyone who

Life is like a clam. Years of filtering crap then some bastard cracks you open and scrapes you into its damned mouth, end of story.

- Steven Erikson

I really like the htmlgoodies website (I use it all the time). Although not wild about the recent redesign...

EDIT: Guess I should be a bit more helpful...so here it is. I still think for most webpages, basic HTML is good enough for what you need. So if you have a good enough memory of the html basics, you should be okay.

Of course, if you're expected to create something fancier... :)

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I really like the htmlgoodies website (I use it all the time).  Although not wild about the recent redesign...

EDIT:  Guess I should be a bit more helpful...so here it is.  I still think for most webpages, basic HTML is good enough for what you need.  So if you have a good enough memory of the html basics, you should be okay.

Of course, if you're expected to create something fancier...  :ermm:

You can pretty much do a good website simply by using tables and have some half decent skills in photoshop.

Devastatorsig.jpg

I really like the htmlgoodies website (I use it all the time).  Although not wild about the recent redesign...

EDIT:  Guess I should be a bit more helpful...so here it is.  I still think for most webpages, basic HTML is good enough for what you need.  So if you have a good enough memory of the html basics, you should be okay.

Of course, if you're expected to create something fancier...  :)

You can pretty much do a good website simply by using tables and have some half decent skills in photoshop.

I can make a website using notepad, as I know html okay. In fact most of the time I just type the code in myself rather than use the programs I do have at my disposal. And for most webpages, IMO, a lot of bells and whistles and javascript and flash movies and junk is too much.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I just realised that Ill need somekind of Image Gallery program-thingie to effectively handle my online art gallery(I dont want to make thumbnails etc. by hand for hundreds of images). Does anyone know of any free thing I could use?

Oerwinde> I looked at yer page and Blogger seems the way to go.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

I just realised that Ill need somekind of Image Gallery program-thingie to effectively handle my online art gallery(I dont want to make thumbnails etc. by hand for hundreds of images). Does anyone know of any free thing I could use?

Oerwinde> I looked at yer page and Blogger seems the way to go.

Yeah if you want that kind of website its pretty good. Really easy to set up and such. Mine is just one of the standard templates with an image map jammed in the top and an expanded sidebar.

Devastatorsig.jpg