Swoop Key mapping

GMan2

I'm trying to figure out how to run the swoop races using a keyboard. (My mouse is just to sensitive)...I can find key maps for left/right actions, but how can I set up the shifting of gears & jumping? On my mouse these are defaulted to a left & right mouse button.

Thanks! >_<

(Dual-Boot)Windows XP Pro (32 - Bit) SP3 & Windows Vista Ultimate (SP 1) 64 Bit | Intel Dual Core 2 Quad 6600 @ 2.4 Ghz | 8 GB Corsair DDR 3 Ram 1600 mhz | GeForce 9600 GT 512 MB PCI Express X 3 SLI enabled | NVidia Forceware Drivers 181.22| EVGA nForce 790I-SLI Ultra MOBO | Thermalake 850 Watt PWR |

whats wrong keybord

Actually the keyboard is what I'd prefer to use. My mouse is a wireless optical & it's so sensitive to movement (and I've tried adjusting mouse sensitivty to slower settings) that it's really hard keeping the swoop bike going in a straight line & when attempting to turn towards an accellerator pad it (swoop bike) will "shoot" across the course & miss.

Right now you can't change the shift key, unfortunately. In the readme.txt it mentions the issue, meaning that it almost certainly will be fixed as soon as the upcoming patch is out.

It's not that big of a deal to me....I hope they get some of the bigger issues resolved with the patch. But hey! If they can resolve that in the patch....Great! :rolleyes:

(Dual-Boot)Windows XP Pro (32 - Bit) SP3 & Windows Vista Ultimate (SP 1) 64 Bit | Intel Dual Core 2 Quad 6600 @ 2.4 Ghz | 8 GB Corsair DDR 3 Ram 1600 mhz | GeForce 9600 GT 512 MB PCI Express X 3 SLI enabled | NVidia Forceware Drivers 181.22| EVGA nForce 790I-SLI Ultra MOBO | Thermalake 850 Watt PWR |

Right now you can't change the shift key, unfortunately. In the readme.txt it mentions the issue, meaning that it almost certainly will be fixed as soon as the upcoming patch is out.

I hope not, because it's actually a feature, not a bug.

The <SHIFT> key is being used as a modifier-key to cycle through the action menu commands for each category. Its use is the same as in KOTOR1:

E.g. SHIFT-1 cycles through your attack feats... or SHIFT-4 through all available friendly force powers, and so on.

I always play that way, since it's much faster to use the keyboard for this than aiming with the mouse and clicking those arrows to find the right attack/power/item etc. It also frees up the mouse for other tasks.

If you're a mouse-only user playing the game with just one hand, then you won't use that feature of course. But I can't play like that, too much of a click-fest.

If you play efficiently using both mouse and keyboard with both of your hands, then you'll find the SHIFT key to be very handy: 'target enemy'... SHIFT-cycle through a category number... and then press the number again to use it.

But if you are playing the game with mouse-look ON (as I'm trying right now, and it's quite more immersive), then you absolutely need this feature, since you don't have the mouse pointer, but instead use the mouse to look around and have direct control of the camera. In this case the keyboard controls are essential.

You should always be able to select your attacks/items with the 1-9 keys, and for that you need the SHIFT key to be able to access them all.

But it's of course annoying if keys are hard-coded. I totally agree, because I have criticized this point already in KOTOR1, and they haven't improved it. There are several keys hardcoded in KOTOR2, and it's just not a good way to design games like that -- always give the user the option to remap keys!

They should allow us to remap this "cycle categories" feature to ANY other key. There is no excuse why it has to be hardcoded to <SHIFT>. I for one always prefer to map the walk/run modifier to the SHIFT key, which is also a standard in PC games, btw.

Now I'm forced to map it to some other key (how intuitive is the default "B"? geez...), and there aren't many more keys left that could be easily reached with either my pinky finger or thumb.

I would use the <ALT> key instead, but guess what? It's hardcoded, too. To this day I haven't figured out what <ALT> is used for. But it's a dead key. If anyone knows what <ALT> modifies, please tell me. <_<

Oh, and Kiwegapa, I'm not surprised that you thought the unmappable <SHIFT> key is a bug. Nothing of this is mentioned in the manual! (in both KOTOR games). I happened to find out by accident when playing the original KOTOR.

So, please Obsidian! Don't fix this "bug"... :D

[Oh, and Kiwegapa, I'm not surprised that you thought the unmappable <SHIFT> key is a bug. Nothing of this is mentioned in the manual! (in both KOTOR games). I happened to find out by accident when playing the original KOTOR.

I see what you mean. I appreciate that functionality too. I was thinking of the 'left mouse button not being mappable' issue. I really need to double check my posts if I'm posting at 3AM. Sorry, folks. :">

As far as the shift key issue goes, it can't easily be fixed because the shift key is special, and another key will not allow you to hold it and hit 1 or another such combination. I think the best possible solution, if they MUST fix it, would be to break apart left and right shift keys. Leave one for the fixed functions and let the other be freely mappable.

I see. :p

Oh, don't get me started on the hard-coded mouse-buttons. I lobbied Bioware more than a year ago to make mouse-buttons mappable in the game (all three buttons for that manner), but they're just not flexible enough to do it.

If that functionality would be present, I could configure myself a much better control scheme, and would be a happy gamer. For example, I don't friggin need the left mouse-button be "run forward" when I'm playing in mouse-look mode. I don't know of any PC gamer who runs with the left-mouse-button. Movement is what the WASD keys are there for.

Rather, I would map "default action" to the LMB (when in mouse-look mode). That would be more intuitive, since mouse buttons are action buttons, and I'm used to playing like that.

It's a simple rule on the PC:

MOUSE = looking and action/interacting

Keyboard = player movement and selection

(at least in 3D games that give direct control over the player character)

Right now, my workaround is to map "default action" to the spacebar, which is the closest I can get to intuitive controls (since jumping isn't necessary).

But the proper solution would be for a developer to allow gamers to remap everything to their liking. You can impossibly accomodate everyone's preferences in a hard-coded control scheme...

:devil: