Training apprentices

rick

First of all, I enjoyed the ability to train some of my party members to be Jedi, that was fun.... BUT:

I think the transition from non-Jedi into Jedi for them were too sudden. Sure, they are force sensitive, but to be able to switch from some non-force using person into formidable lightsaber-wielding, force-using warriors within a few clicks seemed too... easy (I felt it cheapened what it meant to be a Jedi a bit).

I think the potential Jedis should at least spend some time studying about being Jedi (e.g. studying history of the Jedi, the Jedi philosophy/teaching, learning to use a lightsaber, etc).

I am no expert in details of the game mechanics, but I wonder if we could somehow have the Jedi-initiates start their Jedi classes not at level 1, but say perhaps level -5. At those points the characters have reduced skill points gain (due to devoting to study the force), can learn force powers, can use lightsabers, but only with great penalty (e.g. use double/triple force points, high chances of failure, chances of hurting themselves with the lightsaber, etc) that will gradually ease off as the Jedi level rises closer to level 0

In other words, it takes some time to 'get their feet wet" so to speak, instead of having Handmaiden/Atton/Mira/Bao-Dur wave-spamming within 3 to 4 levels of Jedi training.

In addition, during this level -5 to level 0 period (perhaps early positive levels too), it'd be cool to have the characters approach you with questions regarding Jedi teachings. (e.g. asks you to explain the Jedi code, asks why you did a side quest a certain way, argues if he/she disagrees, or perhaps have Kreia interject every once in a while too) I think it could be lots of fun while my PC still argued with Atris about the reasons to fight in the war against the Council's will, and then tell my apprentice to "trust in the wisdom of the Jedi teaching" when he/she approaches me to discuss about a side quest/the Jedi code, etc.

Anyway, I've said enough. Please, critique away... let me know if it is possible/probable/implausible/nonsense...

First of all, I enjoyed the ability to train some of my party members to be Jedi, that was fun.... BUT:

I think the transition from non-Jedi into Jedi for them were too sudden.  Sure, they are force sensitive, but to be able to switch from some non-force using person into formidable lightsaber-wielding, force-using warriors within a few clicks seemed too... easy (I felt it cheapened what it meant to be a Jedi a bit).

Anyway, I've said enough.  Please, critique away... let me know if it is possible/probable/implausible/nonsense...

I agree; I always thought Atton's transition esp. was a little too sudden, considering his hatred of Jedi, but then again I guess you're really just training him in the ways of the Force, not the Jedi... sort of like that conversation you have with Kreia concerning the Handmaiden's training... annoying that you get such interesting interactions with male PC only. <_<

It kinda bugged me that despite the fact that you're supposed to be training the party members, they never come to you for advice or anything. Really, you just make them close their eyes, wave your hands around, and watch them fail to mention their jedi status for the rest of the game.

Heck, at the ritual on Duxn, Atton is almost surprised to learn he's a force adept, even if he's been playing with a lightsaber for three planets.

I tend to agree. I really wanted more interaction after they switched over. I especially wanted to help Atton find peace with his past in some way and relieve his self hatred when training him to be a Light Side Jedi (as as close to a Jedi as a maxed Light Side Exile can teach). I wanted to talk to Disciple about his decision to leave the Order in the first place, and how (or whether) this was different. And get him to use his real name, darn it. I wanted...welll...something more from Bao Dur. His transition was also abrupt. How easily he let go of the anger he had felt for so long.

Visas and Kreia started as a Force users, so they're different. Really different. I didn't get Handmaiden nor really had Mira for long. The others...yeah, I really wanted more.