Wait with starting till patch comes out or...?

Grong

I was wondering whether or not it is best to wait till a patch comes out, to start my very first character (or game if you like) in this game. Thing is, i've heard alot of stuff about broken quests and tons of bugs and the like, and i got a bit turned down when i heard this coz i wanna do all the quests, and any other things for that matter. so if i start now, will bugs and stuff detract from the experience, or will i be just fine?

i have nvidia-card btw so all the ati problems isn't an issue for me i guess.

thx in advance.

I was wondering whether or not it is best to wait till a patch comes out, to start my very first character (or game if you like) in this game. Thing is, i've heard alot of stuff about broken quests and tons of bugs and the like, and i got a bit turned down when i heard this coz i wanna do all the quests, and any other things for that matter. so if i start now, will bugs and stuff detract from the experience, or will i be just fine?

i have nvidia-card btw so all the ati problems isn't an issue for me i guess.

thx in advance.

I encourage you to wait. I have been playing for 29 game hours and are at the most interesting part of the tale, and a bug won't let me advance to the next level. It's so frustating that I feel the urge to do violent acts sith-style. Arrggh :o

Perhaps you should tell him what platform your on...

Im on PC and didnt encounter any bug worth mentioning...

Loved the game...

So really it depends on certain factors

PC, but that's not the matter. The bug is not a crash, a freeze or a lock. It's something in the game code which makes certain location transitions imposible, dumping you to the Main Menu.

If your playing the PC version it's all down to luck.

I agree.

It seems slightly random as to whether you'll get a fautless bug free play through or a bug ridden juddery ride.

My first time through was relatively bug free, just some minor annoyances really except for one part where I needed to talk to someone to advance the story but couldn't as it would let me start up a conversation so I had to reload.

And I think thats the major point - save often and in multiple slots. The game itself suggests this but for entirely different reasons. You should because you cannot guarentee when a bad bug will rear its ugly head, but its also a good idea to save if you want to try out different conversation options etc. I don't think, personally, you'll need to save because of the difficulty of an upcoming section very often.

Is there a series of posts that documents all of the bugs encountered so Obsidian can patch them? Just recently joined the board and I don't have time to read through the thousands of posts listed.

Just bought the game and it's enjoyable. Biggest problem I have run into was with dialogue failing to pause on the Mandalorian outpost on Onderron's (?) moon. Also ran into the problem once or twice on Onderron itself. While I was able to look at my journal to find out what was said was a tad annoying.

I'm running the PC version on Windows XP and have not had any problems with leveling up or system crashes.

If you already have the game, do go ahead and play it. AS said before, though there are bugs, it is fairly likely that you won't hit any game breaking ones.

Now, there is a serious slow down issue with ATI cards. IF you have one, you might want to investigate the ATI driver related threads here. If you have an GEForce card, I recommend upgrading to the latest drivers before playing.

Otherwise, save often and use several different slots. Have at least one save at the very beginning of every planet you visit that you don't save over until you're done with that planet's quests. That way, if the worst happens, you have a save game you can go back too, and not have to threaten your computer with termination.

Now, there is a serious slow down issue with ATI cards.  IF you have one, you might want to investigate the ATI driver related threads here.  If you have an GEForce card, I recommend upgrading to the latest drivers before playing.

The ATI problem is real but can be fixed. I did and the game runs very fast.

The game is just great fun, but as I mentioned in another post, I rarely purchase a game prior to the first patch. BUT !!! Here I am playing the game LOL.

So the question is ... How much fingernails do you have left? LOL

People always gripe about bugs, but this game was very bug-free, IMO. I'll be surprised if the patch is very extensive.

On the other hand, replayability with KOTOR games is very limited to me - like a movie or a book, their main attraction to me is the story and characters. So that's an argument for holding out.

Nowadays, old savegames usually are compatible with patches so maybe go for it.

I only had two serious game breaking bugs that were the same as what I had with KOTOR.

Being a Sentinel actually made my game crash a lot (which is okay, because I hate that class). As did clicking on mines to pick them up before I finished a mine.

Fnord.