A Big ********* To Obsidian and LA

Out of interest, what exactly did LA contribute with? The name "Star Wars"?

Seriously ?

They provided the funding. They provided the QA (technical and probably integration of stort with the SW universe, i.e. suitable or not) and a third from top of my head they provided the sound side of the game. Oh yeah, and the Star Wars name.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

"Just one question... is this how you got up to 5550 posts on this board?"

Yes. (w00t)

As for LA, look at the back of the manual for the credits. they did a lot - voice overs, music, you name it. they weren't playing tiddly winks. And, oh, I wodnered how the bug situation would be if LA allowed Obsidian to handle the bug testing/fixing on their own. It would be worse. I thank LA for being there to bug test. Basically do the developer's job as far as I'm concerned.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

1) The number of bugs in this game is insane. Insane.

2) No effort was made to fix the bugs that are on the Xbox.  You just ported it directly to PC.

3) While effort is put into the storyline at the beginning of the game, any props for that are destroyed by the game's ending.

4) Handmaiden is a really degrading depiction of females.  It's really just gratuitous, and adds to the feeling that you put little effort to completing the game.  I liken this to a B movie.  And Star Wars is clearly not a B movie.

5) The dialogues themselves have bugs.  how is that even possible?  Did you play your final product at all?

6) The random item drop system is a good idea.  Yet somehow you manage to mess it up.  Items that are unique pop up several times??? A five year old game like Diablo II got even this right.

7) Finally, you left the cut-game content in the actual final game.  What were you thinking?  This is really the most direct display of how little effort you put into the game, for whatever reason.  Bottom line is, Obsidian, you did not get the job done.  Are you trying to rub it in by leaving the better, yet unfinished, parts in the game?

Oh how I wish this game was in Bioware's hands.

And how I wish you would shut up.

I would also like to point out that Obsidian has about 50 people total working at their company, whereas BioWars is one of the largest video game developers in the world. And they had three years to develop KOTOR 1 with TEAMS of people working on various, SPECIFIC things in regards to the game.

Also, I think everything you (Buttfacepoop) said is valid and has been addressed numerous times in this forum already. But we really are trying to cut down on all the needless "THIS GAME SUCKS!" crap and offer well thought-out criticism that the devs might actually respond to.

No dev is going to respond to a thread like this, and it doesn't do anything to change whats been done.

Also, you could've just as easily posted this in of our SEVERAL threads dedicated to this topic.

It's all good to post your thoughts and feelings but check the forums for similar threads first. And then post away. :-

...while BIO started from scratch*. There's a reason why KOTOR1 had more time to be made than KOTOR2.

Not completely true. The engine was based on the NWN engine. They already had a head start, if nothing else, then technology and expertise wise when recycling Aurora engine.

That being said, the Kotor1 engine (can never remember it's name, Odyssey or Ulyssus or some such) was probably a closer fit for Obsidians needs than the Aurora was for Biowares needs when starting on Kotor1 :ermm:

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

"Not completely true. The engine was based on the NWN engine. They already had a head start, if nothing else, then technology and expertise wise when recycling Aurora engine."

That's why I put the * there. :ermm:

*sigh* Everyone in this thread is a troll.

That would make you a troll, too. :)"

Otherwise, I agree with the rest of your post.

No dev is going to respond to a thread like this, and it doesn't do anything to change whats been done.

Fix'd. :ermm:

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

oh and also i havent completed the game yet but i have encountered no bugs at all.....just a few warpings  here and there but they are only a minor inconvenience.....plus most other people who are upset by the bugs and the shoddy ending still thought the game was great...and nobody told you to view the handmaiden as a representative for all females ever.

I just this minute finished the Light Side part of the game and even though the ending sucked, the game was good, i never really encountered any bugs, just severe slowdowns in low activity areas. (Paragus and the worst was the Malacor or whatever it was..

I never found out what caused all this slowdown, but it severely annoyed me when i was fighting like 5-10 sith assassins. lol

Anyway, Obsidian just needed more time, but they never got it....oh well.

I think Kotor III should have like 20+ planets with tons of side quests on, but the main story doesn't include them all, it just makes it more involving, if you know what i mean.

yeah..i hated it when theres about 20 enemies an d 20 allies around fighting eachother and all you get is lag...like on dxun at

the mandalorian camp when the assasins attack

anyway this thread is clearly spam and flameage.

plz close it.

This thread is not spam. I have not posted before. It is not flame. Nowhere did I attack anybody except the game developers. People seem to be reading only my first post, this quotes my second:

"i don't care for bioware. But KOTOR was twenty times more highly polished than this game.

"So much anger. It's just a game."

It's just my money.

My handmaiden comment was more about how gratuitous it was to add a character like this to the game. I'm not commenting on the depiction of all women. It just degraded the quality of the game.

the randomness is broken. If the item description says only one exists, should 3 pop up??? Either remove the item description, or fix the dropping of these items. Clearly, bug testing was not a priority.

All you people blame LucasArts. It's a combination of both. Obsidian clearly had terrible planning - which is why they could not meet the deadline. They attempted too much, and ended up with a buggy, bad game. LucasArts is to be faulted for giving an impossible timeframe for the game.

The number of bugs is much worse in this game than Kotor 1."

I posted here in hopes that one of the developers might respond. I did not realize that there were other threads that were looking for a developer response (this is my mistake). But I did realize that I am not the only one who believes they payed for an unfinished piece of work. I want the developers to respond to the community, if they have any shread of decency in them.

Maybe thats why Bioware didnt take on KOTORII because of the 12 month schedule. I wouldnt know how bugy KOTOR was compared to TSL cause i didnt buy it the day it came out unlike i did with this but as far as bugs go i was plauged with tons of them and the one that ticked me off the most was on Telos I couldnt get in a certin room to kill a boss I had to start allover from scratch 15+hrs shot to hell,but when i got back up to that same point i had saved 2 games in certin spots then i got passed the boss and the game i lost with 15+hrs was replaced with a game that was only 6hrs old and by the time i reached the 15hr mark i was on my 3rd planet plus the no sound movies and ending sucked you put 40hrs in a game only to have the ending have no sound but in all a good game. just wish LA would take there time with these games and not push them out so fast this is the 2nd game i bought back to back from LA SW:BF is still plauged with bugs and such and no word from anyone as to when a patch will come out so i dont think ill be getting republic comando right away. All in all i give kudos to Obsidan for doing the best they could within the time frame givein im sure (or hopeing) they learned something from this and im sure the fans will be more than happy to wait 2 years for KOTOR 3 i know i will

My handmaiden comment was more about how gratuitous it was to add a character like this to the game. I'm not commenting on the depiction of all women. It just degraded the quality of the game.

Character like what? How did it make the game worse? I still don

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

Having a character that has to take offf her clothes to fight?  Look at the underwear that the other women characters wear with their clothes off.  Compare it to handmaiden's.  Clearly, this is gratuitous suggestivity, that is thrust in there to make up for a shallow character, i.e. B-movie material, not star wars material.

youre rather selective in your memory, especially considering you made the "oh how i wish bioware made this" or whatever exact quote it was. i seem to remember bastila wore revealing underwear as well.

as for why she did it, apparently you are ignoring everyone telling you that it is an ECHANI thing. about battling without armor and weapons.

OMG wrestlers half 2 ware next 2 nuthing when they wrestle! gratuitous sex! gratuitous sex!

Having a character that has to take offf her clothes to fight?  Look at the underwear that the other women characters wear with their clothes off.  Compare it to handmaiden's.  Clearly, this is gratuitous suggestivity, that is thrust in there to make up for a shallow character, i.e. B-movie material, not star wars material.

Eh? What was Leia wearing when she was slave for jabba the hut? Ah, right! It was bikinis not underwear. :p How does partial nudity make woman character shallow? It

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

Eh? What was Leia wearing when she was slave for jabba the hut? Ah, right! It was bikinis not underwear. :) How does partial nudity make woman character shallow? It

Oh how I wish this game was in Bioware's hands.

up until this part, your post was valid if those were indeed things you ran across.

once you showed your fanboism, your post lost credibility. not that im defending obsidian, but you do NOT know whether bioware could have done a better job given a 12 month development time table. you can assume, believe, wish, whatever. but you do not know for certain.

What he's talking about is the polish that Bioware puts into their games. I have played every single Bioware game at least 2 or 3 times through and every single game has been well-polished at RELEASE. Sure, there were patches to fix a few things but nothing like the problems we've seen in KotOR II.

What he's talking about is the polish that Bioware puts into their games.  I have played every single Bioware game at least 2 or 3 times through and every single game has been well-polished at RELEASE.  Sure, there were patches to fix a few things but nothing like the problems we've seen in KotOR II.

i didnt want to get into an obsidian vs. bioware thing, but....

funny thing is i couldnt even play kotor1 until the second patch. and i couldnt play nwn right out of the box either.

so if i went to biowares forums and stated my problems as fact, does that make it any more valid? nope. and neither does his comments.

However, I'd think it be fair to say that more people have major problems with KOTOR2 than KOTOR1. I think that's the main issue. It's silly to say that neitehr game had no bugs. heck, I had to download a patch for my ATI card for KOTOR1. But, once I did, no bugs for me. Wish i can say the same with KOTOR2. Though; in my experience, KOTOR2 crashed less for me. <_<

However, I'd think it be fair to say that more people have major problems with KOTOR2 than KOTOR1. I think that's the main issue. It's silly to say that neitehr game had no bugs. heck, I had to download a patch for my ATI card for KOTOR1. But, once I did, no bugs for me. Wish i can say the same with KOTOR2. Though; in my experience, KOTOR2 crashed less for me.  <_<

agreed.

as i said, im not defending obsidian per se. im just responding to these countless posts that make it sound like biowares games were FLAWLESS out of the box, and that its 100% certain bioware could have done a better job.