rome total war

roshan

Rome rocks...it's a bit complicated at first, but having just played through a second time with a different faction, it means you're still learning new stuff on repeated playings.

GOTY 2004.

To anyone that's saying Rome: Total War is complicated:

Don't buy the game Victoria.

I made this half-pony half-monkey monster to please you

But I get the feeling that you don't like it

What's with all the screaming?

You like monkeys, you like ponies

Maybe you don't like monsters so much

Maybe I used too many monkeys

Isn't it enough to know that I ruined a pony making a gift for you?

Controlling the large cities is a pain in the arse sometimes but other than that the whole thing is a walk in the park. Great game but quite complex. I still can't tell what the prerequisites are for building Spartan Hoplites though. An Awesome temple of Nike, Advanced barracks (not sure if they are city or urban) but it also seems to depend on your location.

And who is complaining about crashing bugs? It seems really stable for me!

First Imperial campaign I completed was with the Gauls, then the Greek cities. I just lose interest in the Roman armies!

Complicated? Rome? Hah, go play some games by Gary Grigsby and then come back to tell me that Rome is complicated.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

I still can't tell what the prerequisites are for building Spartan Hoplites though. An Awesome temple of Nike, Advanced barracks (not sure if they are city or urban) but it also seems to depend on your location.

You can only train Spartans in Sparta and Syracuse; and then only when you have built the second highest level barracks (army barracks, I think). Of course, if you wanted to, you could have them be trainable in any city, you just need to mess around with one text file - descr_regions.txt. :)

Complicated? Rome? Hah, go play some games by Gary Grigsby and then come back to tell me that Rome is complicated.

Non-grognards don't know the meaning of 'complicated' until they've had to take into account the weather, supply lines, fatigue, morale, unit strength, and air support of every German division across the length and breadth of the Soviet Union, circa June 1942, before they plan their next attack. ;)

Rome Total War is a decent game, but its certainly not as good as it could have been.

Battles are too fast and the AI too dumb!

Have you got the patch? I heard it makes the AI a lot smarter (don't know, I have dial-up and it's too big for me to download)

"Working for Davik was like driving a spike in the side of your head. Sure, you got something new up there, but in the end, you've lost something as well." - Canderous

"But I though Jedi weren't allowed to love." - Handmaiden

"But some do it anyway. We call it pulling a Bindo." - The Exile

Non-grognards don't know the meaning of 'complicated' until they've had to take into account the weather, supply lines, fatigue, morale, unit strength, and air support of every German division across the length and breadth of the Soviet Union, circa June 1942, before they plan their next attack. :lol:

been playing Hearts of Iron? hehe

I play the Total War series for the battles and that kind of strategy .. and I play Heart of Iron to manage the strategy of an Empire!

if only they were combined .. then 1 playthrough would last a couple of years!! ;)

Fortune favors the bald.

The learning curve of Rome is reasonable if you play strategy games but I can imagine it being tough for those who, generally, don't.

However, people do seem to want games they can just boot up and play ACKSHUN MOAD and Rome certainly isn't one of those.

What the game does have is pretty darn good in-game support...more than any other TW title. My advice is:

1. Use (judiciously) the automanage functions for smaller/ out of the way settlements.

2. Click on "Victoria", the strangely antipodean-sounding in-game advisor chick. Especially if you are wondering about what to build next.

3. Play the tutorial: obvious I know but how many people don't bother.

The most frustrating thing for the newbie will be creating an empire that is comfortably turning over enough money to do more or less the things you want to do (bribe armies, build cool units etc). It is pretty tough unitl you get the hang of the importance of ports/ markets/ roads/ trade agreements/ selling map info.

Anyhow, if anybody wants to start a Q&A help thread for this game I'll happily jump in; I've beaten it with all the Roman factions as well as a few others.

Hint: The Seleucids are the wealthiest faction in the game with the most varied and potentially potent troop roster....if you want to blast away and take over the world without worrying about denari, EVAR, then it's the only way to fly.

Cheers

MC

sonsofgygax.JPG

Non-grognards don't know the meaning of 'complicated' until they've had to take into account the weather, supply lines, fatigue, morale, unit strength, and air support of every German division across the length and breadth of the Soviet Union, circa June 1942, before they plan their next attack. ;)

[/Gorgnard]Ironically, the German divisional commanders were generally ignorant of much of that info during the real thing! Mind you, they got their backsides kicked.[Grognard/]

sonsofgygax.JPG

I would recommend playing House Brutii on first play .. they have some of the easiet enemies to quickly learn how to defeat (Hoplites are easily outmanouvered), and can produce a ****load of cash in a short amount of time because of trade ..

Fortune favors the bald.

I would recommend playing House Brutii on first play .. they have some of the easiet enemies to quickly learn how to defeat (Hoplites are easily outmanouvered), and can produce a ****load of cash in a short amount of time because of trade ..

Yep. They also have an open grab (without the interference of the other Roman factions) on pretty much every Wonder of the World.

The rule I follow, btw, to keep myself with a steady supply of cash: make one or two major cities to build up your best armies, and then keep the rest only producing rank-and-file troops.

That way, you can devote those cities to building nothing but ports, merchant's quarters, roads, temples that increase tradeabe goods, and the like. The first time I won the game (with the Brutii), I had far more money than I could ever hope to spend.

The first three or four buildings you make in any faction should be roads, ports, and traders/marketplaces. Unless you are badass and you know what you are doing.

I'd strongly suggest Julii for a first faction. Brutii are the hardest Roman faction - you're often given Senate missions that deal more with Carthage than your real enems - the Greeks and Macedonians.

[/Gorgnard]Ironically, the German divisional commanders were generally ignorant of much of that info during the real thing! Mind you, they got their backsides kicked.[Grognard/]

True, true. Of course, some differences with reality always have to end up in wargames to keep it playable; I'd hate to think of a wargame where every time I try and pull a German division back, the computer pulls a Hitler and reverses my order.

Or, for that matter, I'd hate to be taken out and shot every time I lost a campaign for the Soviets. :p

"It takes a brave man not be a hero in the Red Army!"

Josef Stalin

US combat losses since the end of Vietnam, in all conflicts, have yet to reach the level of punishment executions carried out by the Russians of their own troops for "cowardice" at Stalingrad (a whole division of 'em).

Julii are not the easiest Roman faction, BTW. Their limited access to coastal regions, and the poor barbarian trade routes they conquer means that they struggle for cash. None of their temples provide any sort of military bonuses. It is, however, a challenging faction to play.

Cheers

MC

sonsofgygax.JPG