First Bungie, now Obsidian?! Stop the MADNESS!!!

****Small spoiler

Why?

I just don't get it. When I bought this game, it was under the assumption that I would be able to build a character, and "role-play" this character to the end of the game. But nooooooooo, not in KOTOR2. No, in this game, you spend hours at a time unable to access your character, using other premade characters to "earn" the right to play as the character you created again.

Thats not even half of it. You HAVE to play for a good hour or so as a character, (Mira), who was bent on taking a bounty out on your head. Stupid.

It's just stupid.

Listen, I'll use your premade characters on my team to help my guy out, but the plot should always be advanced through my character. This switching to another point of view in an RPG fad has to stop because it flat out sucks. In fact, switching the point of view in just about any game sucks. They tried it in Halo 2, and it nearly ruined the game. Of course there are fanboys who love playing as aliens in that game, but most people I have talked about the game with are simply amazed you don't play as the Chief all the way through.

I understand if it is done for small 5-10 minute stretches maybe once or twice throughout the game (like the tutorial), but I am at a point now where it has switched like 5 times to two of my least favorite charaters in the game. I never use Atton in my party, so why should I be forced to play as him? Huh? In an open-ended gameplay RPG such as this, to force the player to use characters they may not even like is ludicrous.

The short-sightedness of the developers in this area of the game is very disappointing, and I will excercise my right as a consumer to take this frustration out on all Obsidian titles in the future by avoiding them.

So that's it, thanks for reading, nothing personal, but the whole experience I have had with KOTOR2 in the last 3-4 hours of playing it has made me decide to uninstall it from my computer, back-up my saves and put it away. Maybe in a few months, when I get over my irritation with this, I will try to complete the game, but the replayability of this game gets a zero from me at this point.

Best of luck in the future Obsidian, but from now on I'll stick strictly with Bioware, this game has so many amateurish misapplications/miscalculations/misconceptions in it, I don't know if my faith in how you make games can ever be restored. :devil:

WHAT THE HELL DO YOU HAVE AGINST ATTON, HUH? HUH? You say one more bad thing about my love muffin AND IT'S ON!!!! OH IT'S ONNNNNN.

Eh, I had no problems with switching through multiple characters throughout the story. This added a bit of much needed variety for me.

Word economics

To express my vast wisdom

I speak in haiku's.

no problems with playing all the others .. but the part with Bao Durs remote was really annoying!

Hardest part of the game !!! :ph34r:

My fault for stealth running to the Traya academy.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

no problems with playing all the others .. but the part with Bao Durs remote was really annoying!

Hardest part of the game !!! :ph34r:

My fault for stealth running to the Traya academy.

haha yeah on my first play through i didnt bother to "clear out" the storm beasts with my pc, so suffice it to say i ran in to a bit of problems with the remote.

That's a design bug, the remote ought to have had some kind of stealth trick as it obviously wasn't built to take on something as mean as a storm beast. I think most people probably cleared or mostly cleared the storm beasts with the Exile though (I certainly did) and so didn't encounter it...

I dont think KOTOR2 can ever be compared to Halo 2. Halo 2 is an FPS for all the people who like shooting stuff with a gun. KOTOR2 is an RPG, and is so much more.

Personally I liked changing to other characters in the game, with the exception of Mira - trying that part was almost possible, she was so weak she almost died in every fight, and I had to wait ages for her to heal after every one because I kept running out of medpacks.

Personally I liked changing to other characters in the game, with the exception of Mira - trying that part was almost possible, she was so weak she almost died in every fight, and I had to wait ages for her to heal after every one because I kept running out of medpacks.

hehe .. yeah I was really getting beaten as her too! but luckily I had some good shields and alot of Medpacs..

and then it felt almost ridiculously easy when I was the Exile again .. I felt like Sir Lancelot in 'Monty Pythons Quest for The Holy Grail', where he kills all those wedding guests! :(

Fortune favors the bald.

I have to say I'm not too fond of those places in the game wher eyou have to play as another character. Not only that, but you have to SOLO as that other character. Meh.

I understand the story and liked most of the characters, but the part of these games that I enjoy is working as a team with my companions. I like the interaction with them, and facing challenges as a group. I especially didn't like the parts where you HAD to solo, whether with my character or with the developer's characters. I also don't like switching compeltely to the developers' characters for the same reason I don't like writers who constantly change points of view when writing their books. It's a valid way to tell a story, but not one I enjoy.

Once or twice (the Dxun one mentioned above, for instance) is an interesting change of pace, but I felt KotOR 2 over did it a bit. I vastly want to play MY PC, after all. That's why I generally prefer computer RPGs to most console RPS (which generally give you no choice but to play the developer's characters).

hehe .. yeah I was really getting beaten as her too! but luckily I had some good shields and alot of Medpacs..

and then it felt almost ridiculously easy when I was the Exile again .. I felt like Sir Lancelot in 'Monty Pythons Quest for The Holy Grail', where he kills all those wedding guests!  ;)

I know what you mean. By the end of the game I had one hit kills, and just kept force jumping between each enemy, while the other two party members were still trying to kill one guy. The game was very unbalanced in that respect.

I liked switching around and being alone being alone. It made it important you can't do this by yourself no matter how great a jedi you are. In the movies the group split up luke goes and fight Vader while the rest fight the storm troopers. Would you rather it all be flashbacks. Halo2 it was important to play the alein to understand the story. If you only played MC would the story make sense?

Actually most of the parts of the game where you played other characters I thought were fun. I wish that the level-up setup would allow you to apply all skills/feats/attributes for your gained levels at once so you didn't have to go through multiple level up screens.

The remote part, as with most of the game past the Council on Dantooine, wasn't very fun and felt like part of something larger.

However, Freedon Nadd's tomb, T3-M4 acquiring the codes, etc. were all nice. Especially the changes that happen at the tomb depending on who you bring along. For example I had Bao-Dur, Mira, and Visas and their comments/solutions to some problems were different then bringing Hanharr, Atton, and Disciple.

If anything I'd expand more on this idea. Having the party be able to split when doing planets and going between related events on each world.

Your character wouldnt even have force powers if it werent for his companions... once again someone doesnt understand the story...

Thanks for the idiotic reply. If you think you have some evolved sense of perception based on your comprehension of this simple game, you have low standards for intelligence indeed. Trust me pal, I had no trouble whatsoever understanding the story as it was presented, and if you yourself had even a middle school reading comprehension level, you would see that my original post says nothing about the NPCs being unnecessary. But then, why would I ever think a troll who drops 1 line replies in the form of fragments insulting another's intelligence has any merit whatsoever?

Thanks for the legitimate replies all, I have no problem admitting this is a matter of opinion. It's just I feel it is silly to force players into certain party alignments in this kind of game, and as stated, there are ways for consumers to deal with this sort of distaste.

I liked switching around and being alone being alone. It made it important you can't do this by yourself no matter how great a jedi you are. In the movies the group split up luke goes and fight Vader while the rest fight the storm troopers. Would you rather it all be flashbacks. Halo2 it was important to play the alein to understand the story. If you only played MC would the story make sense?

Good point about the movies, but I like when NPC characters are sent off on support missions offscreen...

I don't want to get into a debate as to the merits of Halo 2, I merely used it as a well known example, but it would have been easy to tell the Covenant side of the story from the MC's perspective along with Cortana's dialogue :rolleyes: .

****Small spoiler

Why?

I just don't get it. When I bought this game, it was under the assumption that I would be able to build a character, and "role-play" this character to the end of the game. But nooooooooo, not in KOTOR2. No, in this game, you spend hours at a time unable to access your character, using other premade characters to "earn" the right to play as the character you created again.

Thats not even half of it. You HAVE to play for a good hour or so as a character, (Mira), who was bent on taking a bounty out on your head. Stupid.

It's just stupid.

Listen, I'll use your premade characters on my team to help my guy out, but the plot should always be advanced through my character. This switching to another point of view in an RPG fad has to stop because it flat out sucks. In fact, switching the point of view in just about any game sucks. They tried it in Halo 2, and it nearly ruined the game. Of course there are fanboys who love playing as aliens in that game, but most people I have talked about the game with are simply amazed you don't play as the Chief all the way through.

I understand if it is done for small 5-10 minute stretches maybe once or twice throughout the game (like the tutorial), but I am at a point now where it has switched like 5 times to two of my least favorite charaters in the game. I never use Atton in my party, so why should I be forced to play as him? Huh? In an open-ended gameplay RPG such as this, to force the player to use characters they may not even like is ludicrous.

The short-sightedness of the developers in this area of the game is very disappointing, and I will excercise my right as a consumer to take this frustration out on all Obsidian titles in the future by avoiding them.

So that's it, thanks for reading, nothing personal, but the whole experience I have had with KOTOR2 in the last 3-4 hours of playing it has made me decide to uninstall it from my computer, back-up my saves and put it away. Maybe in a few months, when I get over my irritation with this, I will try to complete the game, but the replayability of this game gets a zero from me at this point.

Best of luck in the future Obsidian, but from now on I'll stick strictly with Bioware, this game has so many amateurish misapplications/miscalculations/misconceptions in it, I don't know if my faith in how you make games can ever be restored. :rolleyes:

Wow, you got some set of standards. If you hate playing any other character than yourself, (I like it though, it added a nice touch to the story) try out Bloodlines. That's if you can live the not-so-good combat system and dodgy framrate.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

KOTOR always seemed to be going for a movie approach and having the characters split up and do scenes as well as the solo stuff all seems to enhance that effect.

Luke goes alone to the Death Star he dosnt drag everyone along with him. But what they are doing is equally important (so if they fail the story is broken).

KOTOR II is much more movie like in that respect. But since the characters are so similiar in nature it's not really that different on a gameplay level.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

I felt that playing as the other characters was one of the high points of the game. :rolleyes:

While it is fun to play as my melee Jedi character most of the time, I think it is great to have to play a different style every once in a while.

KOTOR always seemed to be going for a movie approach and having the characters split up and do scenes as well as the solo stuff all seems to enhance that effect.

Luke goes alone to the Death Star he dosnt drag everyone along with him. But what they are doing is equally important (so if they fail the story is broken).

KOTOR II is much more movie like in that respect. But since the characters are so similiar in nature it's not really that different on a gameplay level.

I agree, it made the whole thing more cinematic- and more challenging too.

Apart from when I figured out that if I just moved Atton behind the bar then the twi'leks wouldn't follow him... then it was just a case of blasting away heh heh heh. That was pretty easy- but fun.

Although I agree with the cinematic feel, it IS an RPG and NOT a movie. The point of that being that the player has a lot more control and a feel of ownership of a particular character (the protagonist). Occasionally splitting the groups is one thing, but I want to predominately be playing my character. If a sequel is made, I'd vastly preferred if they cut back on the times you are forced to play their characters only.