Should the "real" ending be restored?

Should the "real" ending be restored?  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Should the "real" ending be restored?

• Yes
    • No
    • I don't care

Of course it should. But by whom is the the more accurate question. By Obsidian, or by the mod-community?

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

No if it was left out it was done for a reason. Just because bits of unused material are left over does not make it the real ending. It may have been an ending that was started and abondoned for whatever reason.

So rather the question should be should the ending you could cobble together from left over files be restored because it has no legitimacy as the real ending because you dont know if it was or not.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

I voted no. Don't get me wrong, I'd love a better ending, but I would've wanted it with the release. For PC it could be fixed with a patch, large as it may have to be, but what about Xbox users? No, either fix both versions or fix neither.

And before anyone come up with a clever remark, I'm playing the PC version. I don't even have an Xbox.

I voted for yes, but still...

...well, my first k2 game (which is the most important and which got most influence on how I deem a game) ended with the screwed ending, and that does it. My k2 experience is now screwed for good, and it'll never be completely restored to what it 'could be'. Still, I'd like to see the real ending someday.

"No if it was left out it was done for a reason."

It's called "Christmas". ;)

"Just because bits of unused material are left over does not make it the real ending. It may have been an ending that was started and abondoned for whatever reason."

If the released ending sucks and seems patched up at the last minute, while the other one looks brilliantly written, guess which is probably the "real" one? :)

"So rather the question should be should the ending you could cobble together from left over files be restored because it has no legitimacy as the real ending because you dont know if it was or not."

Unofficial mods will surely exist. But the poll is about *Obsidian* being allowed (by LA) to finish their own game. Call it a "free downloadable expansion" if they want to (*cough* Trials of the Luremaster *cough*). I doubt it will happen, but...

Am I alone with saying I liked the cliffhanger ending because it left so much open for a sequel. The story and ending were great to me. It is genius how Obsidian wove future Star Wars into the ending and if you listen to all the answers it answers many story inquries not fleshed out during the main portion of the game. The only thing I hated about the story was how they cut the robot planet and didn't explain the HK robots.

It's called "Christmas". :rolleyes:

Your making assumptions again. A more realistic reason, the ending would have shot the game into M rating which LA did not want under any circumstances.

Or that it didnt leave enough cliffhanger and or killed off characters LA wanted kept.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

Yes, definately... (I mean, it's the "real endings" isn't it? More than one last I heard.)

Will it be? Do I expect it to be?

Nope.

I mean, there are about a hundred things that need fixing with this game - the influence system being so central to learning the plot really messes things up for people who want to roleplay a certain type of character.

As it is, KotOR 2 is a really enjoyable game... just way to rough around the edges - but hey, I'll still buy KotOR 3, I won't boycott Lucasarts... so I doubt they'll care about my opinion (not that they would anyway, heh)

Edit:

As for the point above, I think it's a pretty safe assumption is was about Christmas. I mean, fair enough- change the ending so that more characters survive, make it happier whatever, as long as there IS an ACTUAL ending. - But to just cut off the end and add a few more dialogs to Kreia is pretty dumb and reeks of rushing.

The fact that there is no real ending, that there are a million loose ends and that NPCs don't mean s**t at the end is just plain ridiculous. I wouldn't mind so much if they made a 'happier' ending. I'd just like a proper climax to an otherwise fantastic game.

Hah, a dev is lurking at this thread. Back to work with you and convince Lucasarts to fund a proper ending :rolleyes:

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Not so much a real ending as an alternate one. As to whether they should change it, no. The game has been released. Whats done is done.

So you believe that bug fixes are OK, but additional content for a game is always wrong?

Hey, I'm not saying that they should release a "restored ending patch". Not when "free expansion" or "bonus pack" (with not only the ending, but maybe an extra planet) sounds a lot better. :p

I voted no. Don't get me wrong, I'd love a better ending, but I would've wanted it with the release. For PC it could be fixed with a patch, large as it may have to be, but what about Xbox users? No, either fix both versions or fix neither.

So, if some are screwed, let's screw everyone just to make it fair?

Besides, there's one thing called X-Box Live. It can't be used for bug fixes, but it *can* be used for additional content.

Next thing, you'll tell me that not every X-Box owner has Live, so, again, let's screw everyone. :p But, hey, KOTOR 1 had additional content on Live, hadn't it?

I hope the cut ending is the 'real', originally planned ending. It would be worse to think that the developers really thought the existing ending was a fitting and satisfying conclusion.

It's hard to make an episode of a series which is satisfyingly complete in itself and leads in well to the next episode. But it's not impossible.

If Kotor 3 will return the same characters then fine, although someone really ought to make this known pretty soon to limit the bad feeling. If these characters don't return as major NPCs, then I'm sorry, but Kotor 2's ending is substandard. There are many games which don't have a dramatic and successful ending, it's true, but they don't make story, character interaction and voice-acting major selling points. This ending only looks so bad precisely because the rest of the game was so good.

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

More or less, yes. Some people paid for the Xbox game, others for the PC. It was fairly clear that both would be the same game, it'd be pretty unfair to change that later on just because some people are unhappy with it. Well unless you want to handle refunds and trade in Xbox version for the PC version.

More or less, yes. Some people paid for the Xbox game, others for the PC. It was fairly clear that both would be the same game, it'd be pretty unfair to change that later on just because some people are unhappy with it. Well unless you want to handle refunds and trade in Xbox version for the PC version.

You know that that philosophy is one of the main parts of Communism, right? :p

(I'm KIDDING! don't take that one seriously, OK?)

No. Not because I didn't like the cut endings- I loved them. Not because I thought the released ending was enough- because it wasn't. But because its too late. The cut endings aren't the real endings... they're cut endings. What we have is now KotOR canon, for better or worse. I don't want to offend anyone here, but live with it. Move on. KotOR 3 will come, in time, and maybe that will give Obsidian (I really hope it stays with them) the chance that they deserve to realise this story's potential- to add in all the features and the kind of endings intended for this game. Be calm. Have patience. :)

Blue lorry yellow lorry blue lorry yellow lorry blorry. D'oh.

You know that that philosophy is one of the main parts of Communism, right?

(I'm KIDDING! don't take that one seriously, OK?)

I fail to see how that is one of the "main" parts of communism. Regardless, if it was inteded as an insult (joke or not), I feel that I must inform you that using communism as an insult is somewhat silly. There is nothing wrong with communism, except that it doesn't really work given the human nature. People like to think that communism means oppression and despotism, when it's actually quite the opposite. Communism is in essence about everyone owning everything, whereas most of the so-called communist states today and in history are or were rather a form of extreme capitalism (the government owns everything). A true communist state will if anything be more democratic than anything we have today.

I wouldn't say I'm a communist, I don't believe it'll work. It's a nice thought, though.

As for my thoughts on this particular issue (the game), I've given up on trying to be fair a long time ago. Instead, I have, with a fair amount of success, focused on being equally unfair.

The "real" ending doesn't appear to be entirely complete, by the way.

Which is another reason I think LA saw it and went :o:):):(

Sure it wasn't complete - they needed more time.

My guess is that it went something like this:

Lucasarts (LA): Hey, people, Christmas is almost here. We must have the final version for duplication in 2 weeks.

Obsidian Ent. (OE): Two weeks? But... we're in the middle of implementing the ending. It's one of the most emotional endings ever seen in a game, involving the many combinations of stories for the player and the party members. Can't you delay it a bit? We only need a month or two, then it will be the one of the best games ever.

LA: Read my lips: Christmas. Release. It's in the contract, *we* decide the release date, remember? Christmas means more money, whether it's a "good game" or not. Scrap that ending, make something in two weeks, then we'll ship.

OE: Damn... :( What can we do in 2 weeks? Maybe a couple of mostly empty levels with generic enemies, then a couple of static images, and an ending which is so vague that it can fit anything...

This is my guess. I may be wrong, of course, but it seems to fit everything we know so far.