Kudos, Obsidian!

~Di

Okay, I'll confess I'm only about half-way through the game... and I'll confess I've seen some of the kooky bugs folks are talking about... and I understand that my opinion may change during the final half, since many folks are apparently disappointed in the ending... but damn. I simply must say that when it comes to innovative story-telling and gameplay, not to mention slipping in the brilliant and unexpected in ways that make me stay up all night wondering what happens next, KoTOR 2 even beats KoTOR 1, and that's saying something.

No matter what happens during the second half of this game, I felt I simply had to tell Obsidian that I am impressed to my toenails with the creative brilliance I've seen in the first half. I love it. I flat love it.

After all the complaints, the whines, the criticisms around ye olde forums, I figured y'all could use a few sincere thank yous... so here's mine!

:devil:

I'd have to agree with that 100% (except I havnt seen any bugs but I've got the boxy version).

Even on my fourth game I still managed to find lots of new and significant things I'd missed before by having Bao Dur with me on Dxun.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

Okay, I'll confess I'm only about half-way through the game

Wait until you get to the end. You may have a different opinion afterwards.

Don't get me wrong, it's not a bad game. But it's far from great. I'd say it's decent, I could've upgraded it to good if it wasn't for the fact that you know it could've been better. When I play it, I see so much wasted potential, so many places where I just know something was supposed to be but isn't. It's rather depressing, especially since I know Obsidian could've done better. Perhaps all they needed was Lucasarts to give them a few more months.

I also enjoyed this as much as you lot. more so than kotor 1 aswell, and that takes alot.

The final parts of some of the planets were just superb, Onderon, Dxun, Dantooine were awesome. Nar shadaa and Telos were i also really enjoyed. Good job. Lots more i enjoyed about the TSL also, but i wont ramble on. :rolleyes:

Despite me picking on KOTOR2's (many) faults; I did enjoy the game. It had a lot of good things going for it. The greater use of skills in dialogue is one of the thinsg I really liked. :rolleyes:

P.S. Is that positive enough for ya, Di? :thumbsup:

P.S. "They asked you nicely dude... if you dont have blinde love for this game then get moving to a bitch thread"

Why? Those who are overly positive surely don't seem to have a problem posting Happy Happy thoughts on the game in negative threads? Turnabout is fair play.

P.S.S. I was gonna stick with posiitviety until people decided that they somehow own individual threads. <>

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

There are probably alot of things they could have put in but didn't which is probably because if they did, they wouldn't have anything new to add to KotOR 3.

Which I assume is in the concept stages as we speak.

But I did enjoy the game immensly, despite the fact LA wont cant keep their beak out and let obsidian do what they do best.

Erm was that bitchin? :ph34r:

Despite me picking on KOTOR2's (many) faults; I did enjoy the game. It had a lot of good things going for it. The greater use of skills in dialogue is one of the thinsg I really liked. :thumbsup:

P.S. Is that positive enough for ya, Di? o:)

P.S. "They asked you nicely dude... if you dont have blinde love for this game then get moving to a bitch thread"

Why? Those who are overly positive surely don't seem to have a problem posting Happy Happy thoughts on the game in negative threads? Turnabout is fair play.

P.S.S. I was gonna stick with posiitviety until people decided that they somehow own individual threads. <>

Lol difference is noone asks me politely to stop being so kind towards the developers?

I thought this game was outstanding in almost every respect. I encountered a few bugs here and there, but nothing earth shattering, and the only disappointment I had was the end. But that said, I'm playing through for the second time and plan to play through again and again with different character builds. I'm so addicted to this game that it isn't even funny (at least not to my starving hubby who hasn't had a hot meal in 2 weeks :D ).

I love the influence system. I think that it truly enhances the replayability of the game. I'm even going to play DS (which I've never wanted to do before) just to see what kinds of reactions I will get from my party members.

I enjoyed the cameos from KOTOR I, too. It made the game feel more connected to its predecessor, plus it was just plain fun to have HK-47 back again. I also liked the fact that T3 had more to "say" this time around. Guess I have a thing for mouthy/chatty droids.

Another thing I personally found to be excellent was the storyline. It was definitely darker than KOTOR I, and I loved it. I'm truly looking forward to a continuation in KOTOR III (assuming that it's being made). Thanks for making (IMO) a great game!

Oh, cripes, if some of you simply cannot stand a thread which accentuates the things we particularly liked about the game, and MUST turn every single conversation into a "yeah, but XXX was AWFUL" bitch-and-moan fest, be my guest! (w00t)

I don't own the byte space on this thread. I just wanted to tell Obsidian how pleasantly surprised I was by the creative gameplay innovations, and the deep, rich dialogue trees that I have truly, truly enjoyed. If some of you feel you absolutely have to offset any kind word with matching criticism despite the hundreds of criticism threads currently residing on this forum, go for it.

Doesn't change the fact that I am enjoying the game immensely! (And yeah, later I will no doubt join in on the what-could-have-been-better threads. Just not now, while I'm savoring the fun!)

;)

I was also absolutely thrilled for the first 2/3 of the game .. then it felt quite rushed! but I still think it's a great game .. and I have no problem with the story, which imo made perfect sense! but it's definitely not a game for those who don't like to read! :D I don't think I have spent so much time thinking about dialouge (and just reading carefully) as in this game ..

Fortune favors the bald.

Yes, I really liked this game. I'd rate it very close to KOTOR - maybe a little better, because it felt as darker and with more depth. Both are outstanding CRPGs in terms of story-telling and characterisation, with pretty solid underlying game mechanics (combat was a little easy, but still great fun; levelling etc was great). It's not like there are a lot of such games currently being made - apart from Vampire Bloodlines, the last CRPG with such strengths was KOTOR itself.

I was gob-smacked by the ending. I really did not know what to think - it kind of left a hole. At the time, I thought that meant it was very good: that it had an impact. Then reading some of the negative comment in these forum, I realised some of my bewilderment was partly because there were so many loose ends, plot leaps (weak baddies etc) and incongruities (Mira, GOTO etc). But on reflection I don't mind them too much - it at least left me with a lot to think about. Kind of a "leave every meal wanting more" virtue. Closure can be rather boring, afterall.

I agree. I've been making some noise about the real ending, not because I dislike the game, but the other way around - I love it, it's in many ways a masterpiece, and deserves to be finished, instead of being another Lionheart.

Still, congratulations, Obsidian. As game designers / writers, no one else comes close.