KOTOR2 Ending Mod: Help Requested

As fun as it is to weep and wail and beat one's breast over the removed content, I'd like to try actually doing something about it.

I've been piecing together the dialogues and scenes that were cut, and linking them to place, to time, and to the remaining voice clips. While I've got a fair amount of this organized, and I have enough, uh, skill to write some basic conditionals and edit dialogues (and add practice animations for my own amusement), the project overall is too much for me to handle on my own. Or rather, I could, but it'd take about a year, given that I am busy with other things and would have to study a whole lot more programming.

I know there are KOTOR modders out there, somewhere. I know that it's not the easiest game to mod, but there have to be people who can create cutscenes and do more complex scripting. An artist might be helpful, too - depends on if a certain model is already in-game. I've already asked on the official KOTOR modding boards and gotten no response, so I'm getting kinda desperate here, but it's worth a try.

Please PM me if you seriously think you can help.

I am following my fish.

A temporary home for stranded ML'ers

As fun as it is to weep and wail and beat one's breast over the removed content, I'd like to try actually doing something about it.

I've been piecing together the dialogues and scenes that were cut, and linking them to place, to time, and to the remaining voice clips. While I've got a fair amount of this organized, and I have enough, uh, skill to write some basic conditionals and edit dialogues (and add practice animations for my own amusement), the project overall is too much for me to handle on my own. Or rather, I could, but it'd take about a year, given that I am busy with other things and would have to study a whole lot more programming.

I know there are KOTOR modders out there, somewhere. I know that it's not the easiest game to mod, but there have to be people who can create cutscenes and do more complex scripting. An artist might be helpful, too - depends on if a certain model is already in-game. I've already asked on the official KOTOR modding boards and gotten no response, so I'm getting kinda desperate here, but it's worth a try.

Please PM me if you seriously think you can help.

If the lot of you can actually pull this off, I would so have to buy the PC version. I wish there was some way that I could help, but I'm just an English major... er have any grammar problems? Heheh, eh... :p

Beware the wrath of Lucas Arts...

Just out of curiousity (since I don't have any expertise about this really), would LucasArts really throw thunderbolts if someone modded in some dialogue/scripted events, which would mostly just utilize assets already present in the game discs?

Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords Restoration Project

http://www.team-gizka.org

We're really not sure what LA will do. I get the impression that they don't care much either way.

I also want to make it very clear that this will NOT be an "ending as Obsidian intended it" mod. I don't have the resources (aka voiceclips) to change Atris to the final boss, for example.

...and, for that matter, I don't have the ability to read their minds and decide exactly what they would or would not put in the game. I'm just going off what's there, tweaking a few things so that it makes sense, and, so far in theory, adding a few things so that it's more satisfying. It's certainly not going to be a canon ending, and K3 may very well contradict it all, but hey. It's a thing.

I am following my fish.

If the lot of you can actually pull this off, I would so have to buy the PC version. I wish there was some way that I could help, but I'm just an English major... er have any grammar problems? Heheh, eh... :blink:

I'm wary of admitting this, but I'm a creative writing major. If this takes off, though, playtesters/logic checkers could be useful. :-

It might be worth looking at Forgotten Wars

http://forums.forgottenwars.net/index.php?showforum=221

Big modding community for the Baldur's gate series, with some stuff for the original KOTOR.

They really haven't modded much for KOTOR1, though - but maybe they could help with the art, thanks.

I am following my fish.

I want to say: Good Luck!! :ermm::thumbsup::thumbsup:

I would very much like to see this done.

I'd say "I'll help", but I'm a great procrastinator and my free time always seems to get eaten up way before I manage to do anything useful with it. (And I'm never at these boards at the right times anyway). I think I might stretch to playtesting at least, though, if I see a link... :)

Before doing anything, you should PM Chris Avellone about it, just for the sake of it.

From what i've seen, the only mods that are available for KotOR were something in the vein of save game-editors. When crafting a new ending, you're dealing with more complex stuff than retexturing and changing character stats. If the engine works as i think it does, you have to change certain flags and event-triggers and your own stuff by re-compiling it within the content of what is in the game already. I can say that it's really difficult to do, you need someone with great experience of C++ coding and great knowledge of the Aurora-engine (NWN), which KotOR's Odyssey-engine is built upon.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

I'm wary of admitting this, but I'm a creative writing major. If this takes off, though, playtesters/logic checkers could be useful. :)

Well, I'll help in any way I can. ;)

I must say though, I love that little animation of Atton's worship. I wish I had the skills to make him do "things" like that. :p

I think if you persist at holowan you will find some that are willing to help. I read your thread at holowan and I'm interested in what you have done so far But because, the game has only just come out I didn't want to commit myself to helping at this time.

There are however many modders at holowan that have played the Xbox version so they may be willing to help out right away. One thing I know would help get people interested is if you outlined how you would like to see adding this unused content back into the game.

If you want to mod KotOR or TSL Holowan labs @ Lucas Forums is the place to go for help.

I've had programming and scripting experience so I gave the K2 files a looksee and was fascinated by what I found. It's a good news/bad news thing. I looked for the program files and think I found them in the Data folder. Scripts.bif was very interesting. It contains all the code functions presented in strangely alternating blocks of uncompiled/compiled code. What I was looking for were coments from the dev team and/or commented out code to indicate what happened. I found nothing there save one curious reference to XBox. The good news is that all the variables and functions for PLANET_M4_78 are still there.

Also, apparently at one time Hanharr and Disciple were team members. Also, since I had one blank team slot to the end of the game, maybe one of them fit there, but I never did get HK47 working and always assumed that slot was for it.

I also looked in the module folders and found that the modules, which I think set up the characters in each "scene," are there for the original endgame on Malachor as it contained this:

[GP: Sion stands his ground as Nihilus sends a blast outwards, leveling Kreia, sending her smashing her into one of the 904 "teeth." Use SFX to make the attack seem vicious.]

However, the modules for PLANET_M4_78 are not there.

Given what other people have said, I'd say there's at least a chance that all the assets are there for the original ending.

Even so, I'd think you'd need access to the game compiler to get it working again. I had hoped that I'd find some "switch" inside to turn it on, but didn't find it. Maybe I'll compare the code from K1 with K2 to see if I can find anything.

Another thing, after looking that code over, I was in awe of the amount of data that has to be handled. If you think about it, they had to keep track of a ton of variables and then act appropriately on those variables. For example, the PC and teammates enter a room for combat and each characters powers and modifiers have to be evaluated against the henchmen who all have to have variables calculated instantly: where the characters are, what they can see, what powers they have, FP, VP, what armor, what weapon, etc, etc. all must be calculated on the fly.

In this header file also are all the functions from K1, many of which are commented out. Lastly, most of the code added was completed by in 11/03. They must have spent the rest of the time developing artwork, music, and of course the final script.

From someone who a long time ago had a contact with a friend who was watched closely by LucasFilms liscencing to avoid any copyright violations....

LucasArts as a company, and more specifically George Lucas as it's head would only have a problem with it in the following cases.

1.) Downloading/distribution of said mod... was via some pay source. (person was making money off this product that the company wasn't rightlfully getting a cut of.)

2.) They intend to distribute some sort of expanded edition at some later date with the corrected content. (Not bloody likely)

People would still have to buy the game at it's original to be able to play it, so long as it doesn't endorse the use of some type of Warez then it should be fine.

I'm not a legal expert or a direct connected member of either company so I really wouldn't know.

My only problem is, why in the world did they release a game with so many seriously nasty bugs in it in the first place.

Taking apart and putting back together some old KOTOR editors to which I have access to the source code to make parts of it compatible with KOTOR 2. I'll keep you up to date and informed of the progress, aurie, but if anyone else haere is experienced with programming and could help me, that'd be swell.

I currently have a team of 4 working on it. I'm looking for someone who's real good at working the KOTOR script editor to help us out. Also: Aurie: it would help if you and the other Engilish majoring airheads could lay out a proposed ending in either multimedia TADS form or a play script with ample stage notes.

Word economics

To express my vast wisdom

I speak in haiku's.

Well, seeming as I'm new to the forums. I've already come to admire one person here, and thats got to be you.

I've been lurking the last few days about the "lost ending", and such. And I'd like to wish you the best of luck with it.

So... What is it you're all doing exactly?

You say you're going to take some stuff, and then paste it together with this other stuff, and then you're going to write some new stuff, not necessarily using Lucas Arts or Obsidian's stuff (a nice way to make sure you tick 'em both off, btw :rolleyes: ), but you are going to take some of both of it... and then you lost me... You're going to do what exactly?

Mod an ending? Put in new gameplay? Release an additional set of in-game cut-scenes? Create a downloadable game movie people can watch outside of the game?

I'm not saying you guys shouldn't do what you want to do, you have every right to want to tell the rest of the story, but this is some serious Deja Vu on how stories get messed up to begin with...

Taking apart and putting back together some old KOTOR editors to which I have access to the source code to make parts of it compatible with KOTOR 2. I'll keep you up to date and informed of the progress, aurie, but if anyone else haere is experienced with programming and could help me, that'd be swell.

I currently have a team of 4 working on it. I'm looking for someone who's real good at working the KOTOR script editor to help us out. Also: Aurie: it would help if you and the other Engilish majoring airheads could lay out a proposed ending in either multimedia TADS form or a play script with ample stage notes.

I'd like to offer my assistance, Whitemithrandir. I'm an English major and I've programmed in C and used TADS. I've come to prefer Dark Basic Professional to program with so I don't have to mess with pointers and memalloc so much. PLus it has a lot of built in routines. At any rate, the primary files for the game engine seem to be driven by the Script files that have blocks of clear code alternated with compiled code. I don't see how any modding can be done without access to BioWare's script compiler, something called NWC.

I dunno if this might be of any help, but whatever. I read it over in the petitions thread:

Well there goes that theory. Thanks for the info. I just looked over the code in the data file and found some interesting stuff in the Scripts.bif. All the K1 stuff is still in there and most of the general functions were written in 2001. Obsidian did most of its patching in 11/03. I also found that the modules for the original ending are still there; however, the modules for PLANET_M4_78 are missing. I kept hoping against hope that I'd find a magic "switch" in there to fix it!

I don't know if the writer is refering to K1 or K2, but if it's K2 it might be of some use, given that it's accurate :) .