combat - too easy? >>>POSSIBLE SPOILERS<<<

stoo

I don't think the combat is meant to be challenging, but fun. And it is fun.

I disagree. The combat was so easy that it detracted from my enjoyment of it. I need it to challeneg me in some way. See, fun means different things to different people. I simply do not see how anyone could gleen any enyjoyment from a combat system that offers them no real chance of failure. It is like playing in god mode - utterly pointless. I understand that this is an rpg and, therefore, combat as deep and satisfying as something like Jagged Alliance 2 should not be expected. However, some level of challenge and tactical depth is not too much to ask. The KoTOR series lacks this. Combat here is simply a means to bridge between the actual gameplay which occurs entirely through dialogs. In many ways, I feel the title could have functioned far better as an adventure game with branching dialogs and meaningful choice than the action/rpg which it tries to be.

The combat was so easy that it detracted from my enjoyment of it. I need it to challeneg me in some way. See, fun means different things to different people. I simply do not see how anyone could gleen any enyjoyment from a combat system that offers them no real chance of failure. It is like playing in god mode - utterly pointless.

I agree completely. Wading through the bar with the bad air (on the Smuggler's Moon) was somewhat relaxing after all the running around and talking and running around, but apart from that the combat was more a chore than anything else, precisely because there was no challenge. It was still miles more fun than, e.g. Dungeon Siege or Morrowind, though.

I think for 'normal' difficulty a game should hand us our hind parts on a platter if we play poorly, and on 'difficult' it should be impossible to just muddle through.

However, some level of challenge and tactical depth is not too much to ask. The KoTOR series lacks this.

Try playing the original KotOR strictly solo - without buying any super toys in Yavin, without using the non-fighter shortcuts (computers/droids), and without cheats like med packs, stims, shields or explosives. In at least one place the game script requires the use of explosives, and in two places there is no other way (Rancor in the sewers, the triple

It was way to easy i die more in kotor 1 than i did in 2.Matter fact i only died once on the first play through.The ai doesnt throw grenades etcetc.Uber jedi for me just sucked to really 900 fp is a bit much might as well use the god mode cheat.......

[snip]

combat was more a chore than anything else, precisely because there was no challenge. It was still miles more fun than, e.g. Dungeon Siege or Morrowind, though.

[snip]

Precisely! After a short while (say, after leaving Peragus), combat just became annoying to me because of its lack of challenge. It was just a pesky part of the game I HAD to get through because someone put it there, but it made no sense (two times only it's been kind of hard >SPOILER FOLLOWS<:

when I had to clear out the siege on the Ithorian compound on Telos, because I was so lame to forget getting my party back, so I did that solo; and when I had to clear out the Czerka excavation site on Telos again, because I still forgot to get my party back and did that solo

. Anyways, I got through both situations with kinda ease, dying a couple of times at most). Btw, you pointed out two of the games with the worst combat systems E.V.A.H.. But I agree there too, k2' combat is still more fun and enjoyable. :lol:

True, the combat is very much too easy, the PC gains levels much too fast, and the Force Powers are too prominent and powerful (Dark Side attacks are auto-hit, Light Side stuff has you healing everyone around you every round).

Anyway, there is some work being done to fix Obsidian's mistakes:

link to the tentative release of Hardcore Mod at Holowan Laboratories

I don't mind facing multiple weak opponents, a certain bar for example was a very nice event. But when you face small groups of immensely weak enemies all the time...it stops being relaxing and empowering, and just turns into a chore.

Did any of the none boss sith characters even use the force ? I can't seem to remember it happening.

They will if you give them a chance. Sentinels are immune to most of what they try which could explain why you didnt see any force use. Or it could just be you killed them very quickly :D

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

Just fought master Vrook as a lvl 17 sentinal with no force speed or master flurry, was verry tough! Was boring as hell though because all i could do was sit back and watch the fight without any input.

For KOTOR3 I hope they do a proper fight simulator for the graphics, ie. it actualy shows whats going on rather than some random animations, would make Lightsaber fights much more dramatic. If theres one thing Jedi Knight 2 did right it was cool lightsaber fights.

[snip]

If theres one thing Jedi Knight 2 did right it was cool lightsaber fights.

True. But that would make the d20 system (which the whole game is based on) pointless. But, in an RPG, I still like the d20 system more, where combat doesn't get as frenzy/messy/hellish.

at level 50, every single stinking dark jedi or assassin hits you for major damage no matter how high your defense is...70+ defense....

then you really use up energy shields.. -_-

Level 50? I don't know what you're talking about, but at the end of the game I was level 27 or so, and had about AC55 (without force buffs), and still nobody could touch me unless, again, he/she rolled a 20 (which is 5% chance of hitting me).